Board logo

Welding a swing set bracket
Slimy38 - 29/3/18 at 10:35 AM

My daughter has a swing set made from wooden poles (similar to horse jump poles, about 120mm thick). The swing is fixed on with a couple of galvanised metal straps, and she's managed to break one (it is about 10 years old after all!). I'm ordering a new strap, but it would be typical that it happens just before the easter holiday when I'm working away.

I'm thinking of welding up the current one, is there anything I should be mindful of or is it a fairly straightforward fix? I was planning to grind off the galvanised coating so I don't get fumes, then a quick coat of red oxide just to protect it.

It's this type, and it's broken where the metal is bent at 90 degrees;

Mr Whippy - 29/3/18 at 11:32 AM

If your using wooden posts for the frame like I did then I used these -

linky

seem to be lasting very well and stronger than those brackets, no wonder they broke

Slimy38 - 29/3/18 at 11:51 AM

It's more to get her sorted just for the week, I'm ok with the strap itself considering it's been used pretty much every day for at least ten years. We've replaced the seat itself three times because either the seat or the rope has worn out!!

liam.mccaffrey - 29/3/18 at 03:35 PM

I've found a great way to remove galv is to leave the part you want stripped soaking in vinegar for a few hours

liam.mccaffrey - 29/3/18 at 03:36 PM

I've found a great way to remove galv is to leave the part you want stripped soaking in vinegar for a few hours

Angel Acevedo - 29/3/18 at 07:21 PM

Go ahead.
Even holding your breath may suffice as is a very short weld....
When I weld galvanized I grind because I feel I can weld prettier...
Grinding the coating produces dust.. Therefore wearing appropriate PPE is needed.

owelly - 30/3/18 at 10:39 AM

Tie the rope for the swing round the pole......

David Jenkins - 30/3/18 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Go ahead.
Even holding your breath may suffice as is a very short weld....
When I weld galvanized I grind because I feel I can weld prettier...
Grinding the coating produces dust.. Therefore wearing appropriate PPE is needed.

A gentle cross-draft helps as well...

big_wasa - 30/3/18 at 04:47 PM

Just grind the galv back and crack on. I would do it for you if you where closer. But rope or chain around the pole is a good idea.

907 - 30/3/18 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It's more to get her sorted just for the week, I'm ok with the strap itself considering it's been used pretty much every day for at least ten years. We've replaced the seat itself three times because either the seat or the rope has worn out!!

Triggers Broom