Board logo

stationary engine
swanny - 7/2/20 at 12:16 PM

A friend of mine has just acquired an old stationary engine, a Lister. He intends to use this to power lighting for parties and generally as a cool old thing
It got me thinking about whether anyone is using a car engine for any other purpose. I'd love to a car engine on a trolley i could wheel out and fire up, but i'd like even more to get it to do something.

Paul

nick205 - 7/2/20 at 12:57 PM

Interesting idea.

Tractors usually have a P.T.O. (Power Take Off) at the rear to drive things.

On Top Gear some years back they had a V8 blender.

I'd try and think of something you can power with rotating force, perhaps from a gearbox output.

loggyboy - 7/2/20 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

On Top Gear some years back they had a V8 blender.

and a Rocking Chair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ9-yw6EgCQ

53Stix - 7/2/20 at 02:19 PM

I'm in the process of building an awesome BBQ rotissery at the moment.

Constituent parts include an awesome old cast iron clothes mangle with beautiful exposed high-module gears and chain drive, plus a big old block and tackle (worm gear reduction) and an old 40ltr air receiver.

I've acquired a Villiers stationary engine to power the whole affair but the long term goal is to fabricate a little boiler to sit beneath the coalpit, which will run a small reciprocating steam engine.

Will post pics when it's at a suitable level.

-Rob

jacko - 7/2/20 at 05:32 PM

Some diesel are fitted in narrow boats

ken555 - 7/2/20 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Some diesel are fitted in narrow boats

With a crossflow for an anchor ?

trextr7monkey - 8/2/20 at 11:30 AM

Belt driven lathe would be ideal I have seen one possibly on here using a car gear box to alter speeds. Just need plenty of space, some big old lathes can be picked up cheaply

John P - 8/2/20 at 12:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia22wxdDzo0

This guy makes some amazing things, all totally mad!