Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain diff reverse
lucy

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chain diff reverse

As per my entry in 'engines and transmissions' I wondered if anyone could offer advice(and photos) on fitting a reverse onto a chain driven diff.
There's no room for it at the engine end.
I think the electric motor will have to rotate anti clockwise, which I am told is not so common as clockwise motors.
The quaife diff with integral reverse would be super( but out of my league ).

russbost

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
This is what we use on the Furore, uses the donor Toyota starter motor which does rotate clockwise

[img] Diff with reverse
Diff with reverse
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
edsco

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Anticlockwise and clockwise motors are both very common. You just need to know which make and models have what; which is simple enough

edsco

lucy

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edsco
Anticlockwise and clockwise motors are both very common. You just need to know which make and models have what; which is simple enough

What do you suggest for anti clockwise that is light and cheap?

Ninehigh

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Surely you just put the terminals the other way round?

Although a starter's going to have that clutch that'll screw up that plan

edsco

posted on 3/12/12 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a list of makes and models that I know have anticlockwise starter motors. It's a "starter" for 10!!!!
AUDI A3 1.6-1.9 1998-03
SEAT ALHAMBRA, CORDOBA, IBIZA, LEON, TOLEDO, 1.4-2.0 1996-2004
SKODA OCTAVIA 1.6 1998-02
1.8T 1998-04
VW BORA 1.6-2.0 SOME
GOLF 111 2.0 1995-97
GOLF 1V 1.4 - 2.0 1997 ONWARDS
NEW BEETLE 1.6-2.0 1998 ONWARDS
POLO 1.6 1995-97
SHARAN 1.8 & 2.0 1998-00

In fact, if my memory serves me right, there is one or two variants that do all the above vehicles.

Hope this helps.
In terms of what the best choice I.e size wise I dare say that all these starter may well be identical.
Top tip if sourcing from a scrappy....if u go in and ask a price for Golf mark IV starter like I did I was quoted £60 which was a joke I thought. I then asked well how much would a Seat one be? £15 he said. Okay I'll have that instead. What the guy clearly didn't know was they are exactly the same even the number stamped on it.

Have fun!

edsco

lucy

posted on 3/12/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good man.
I'll investigate further.

lucy

posted on 4/12/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
This is what we use on the Furore, uses the donor Toyota starter motor which does rotate clockwise

[img] Diff with reverse
Diff with reverse
[/img]

Thanks for that.
A photo helps immensely.
What's involved in matching a sprocket to the starter. Are all starters built with the same teeth?
How practical and controllable is this setup to use in everyday life or is it for emergencies only?

Tris

posted on 4/12/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
The bigger the diameter of the gear on the diff the better (ie slower and more controllable). At a guess, the one i have is a good 12inch's across, maybe more.

Its then just a matter of machining something out of Ali to attach it to your diff. I think all the starters have a similar number of teeth.

Cheers
Tris

MK9R

posted on 4/12/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Here's a list of makes and models that I know have anticlockwise starter motors. It's a "starter" for 10!!!!
AUDI A3 1.6-1.9 1998-03
SEAT ALHAMBRA, CORDOBA, IBIZA, LEON, TOLEDO, 1.4-2.0 1996-2004
SKODA OCTAVIA 1.6 1998-02
1.8T 1998-04
VW BORA 1.6-2.0 SOME
GOLF 111 2.0 1995-97
GOLF 1V 1.4 - 2.0 1997 ONWARDS
NEW BEETLE 1.6-2.0 1998 ONWARDS
POLO 1.6 1995-97
SHARAN 1.8 & 2.0 1998-00

In fact, if my memory serves me right, there is one or two variants that do all the above vehicles.

Hope this helps.
In terms of what the best choice I.e size wise I dare say that all these starter may well be identical.
Top tip if sourcing from a scrappy....if u go in and ask a price for Golf mark IV starter like I did I was quoted £60 which was a joke I thought. I then asked well how much would a Seat one be? £15 he said. Okay I'll have that instead. What the guy clearly didn't know was they are exactly the same even the number stamped on it.

Have fun!

Ed are these reduction starter motors though?? When i was looking most of the ones i found that were anticlockwise were non reduction, so you wont get the torque required. I know for a fact the polo one you list isnt a reduction one as i nearly ordered one until i realised.

Lucy i replied on the RGB Forum, the subaru legacy one is cheap, a reduction type and will fit your needs exactly, why search for anything else??

BTW way, 3 of the replies on here are from the same people that replied on RGB forum

[Edited on 4/12/12 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
edsco

posted on 4/12/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Austen,

Good point about the reduction thang! Didnt cross my mind to be honest. What make year Legacy model did you have in mind then mate? I have just had a goosey and there are multiple offerings. Looks like i too will have to have another rethink too.

Lucy.....i think.....the one i no longer have use for as i am locating the reverse somewhere else and now need a clockwise motor......i think is now surplus to requirement. Not sure what it is off etc, but has gotten the car through scrutineering in the past okay if you want it? I do need to check first though to be 100% sure it is actually surplus to requirement.

Clockwise.....anitclockwise....reduction gears......crikey!

edsco

MK9R

posted on 4/12/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hey Austen,

Good point about the reduction thang! Didnt cross my mind to be honest. What make year Legacy model did you have in mind then mate? I have just had a goosey and there are multiple offerings. Looks like i too will have to have another rethink too.

Lucy.....i think.....the one i no longer have use for as i am locating the reverse somewhere else and now need a clockwise motor......i think is now surplus to requirement. Not sure what it is off etc, but has gotten the car through scrutineering in the past okay if you want it? I do need to check first though to be 100% sure it is actually surplus to requirement.

Clockwise.....anitclockwise....reduction gears......crikey!

This is the one we just bought, works perfectly

STARTER MOTOR - SUBARU IMPREZA COUPE 1995-2000 LRS00967

Legacy, impreza, coupe, all used same one around this time

If you gear is surplus, i'm sure it will mate to this motor so Lucy could have a kit option available

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
edsco

posted on 4/12/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well i guess i could supply both starter and gear and casing to mount to diff.

LUCY: What model diff you got? If its a Quaife QDF7ZR, the gear i have should fit perfect.

edsco

lucy

posted on 4/12/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi edsco
Thanks for the offer, will u2u you with my tel number.

Hi MK9R,
Thanks for the info - very useful.

I may have found someone with engineering skills near to where I live to help where required. (I've previously asked Martin K but I think he's a very busy man)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.