Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva J15 handbrake cable
theprisioner

posted on 6/1/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva J15 handbrake cable

Helpful comments would be appreciated as my sense of humour on this issue has been depleted.

I think I may have a solution to the J15 handbrake cable routing issue but I am not sure so feel free to comment on the following:

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/handbrake-cable-routing.html

theconrodkid

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
hydraulic hand brake is a no no for iva,the tube method looks ok to me ,you intend running the inner cable in the tube ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

theprisioner

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
The whole cable (inner and outer) is in an alloy tube that runs for about 400mm at the start of the cable. I was then able to bend the tube to aboid the hazards. It makes the start of the cable very stiff.
coozer

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a good solution to me.

Just another thought.. are the calipers on the right way up? ie: would turning them upside down solve any of the options or cause more problems??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
If it works how long is it going to last ?

Have you tried swapping the callipers left to right, it will make bleeding difficult but might offer an alternative cable route.
I also would not be 100% happy about the proximity of the CV joint boot to the brake hydraulics, CV joint boots increase in diameter when they rotate.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

theprisioner

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had thought of swapping the calipers R/L it would make them a pain to bleed (and non standard), I am not convinced the handbarke cable routing would be any better. I also thought about swapping the handbrake mechanisms over, that might help but another member on here had some trouble with that idea. Well chaps, it appears all the options are a bitch.
nickm

posted on 6/1/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I havent looked at this very seriously yet but i have bought 2 cables for the R2 caliper
1 was a seat toledo 1200mm if i remember properly and the other was a vw golf approx 800mm ? both have a balled end which fits the R2 caliper lever well and thats as far as ive got both less than £10.
"I predict a riot" used the Rally design handbrake and adjuster kit approx £35 and then got speedy cables to make up clevis ends etc but the IVA man was very happy.
Sorry its only 2 x 1/2 ideas.

Nick M

Paul AS

posted on 6/1/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Sierra XR4X4 V6 rear caliper works perfectly and the cable routing is a piece of cake. Speedy Cables made the
handbrake cables so apart from making up a balance bar it was easy.

More than enough braking power for the back of a very light car.

I got mine off Ebay and Jeremy modded the carriers for me - with an angle grinder, so nothing too technical!

I believe Kit Fit still sell em, but if you do find some, make sure they have the carriers.

This is the rear set up on both of Jeremys J15 and J16 demo cars.

Fair enough the calipers are cast iron and heavier than the VAG components, but they are reliable, efficient and have passed IVA on many occasions.

Paul

Jenko

posted on 7/1/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just spent the weekend refreshing the VW caliper...not colse to fitting on the car yet, but this is all very interesting. It's a shame they are not so easy to fit as they are genuinly quite light.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.