Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saab turbo in the back of a Focus
Saabocus

posted on 14/1/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Saab turbo in the back of a Focus

How about a Saab engine in the back of a Ford Focus!! A Saabocus!!
The plan is to build a budget blaster for Sprints, Hill climbs, Track days etc,
So what’s best on a restricted budget?? lots of choice here!! Had to be a saloon car, as it might be road legal, had to be an engine that is very tuneable on a limited budget. So this is what I have gone for = Ford Focus with a Saab turbo motor/transmission/suspension in the rear of the vehicle, anyone who knows his cars knows the Ford Focus is a great little drivers vehicle, anyone who knows there engines also knows the Saab 9000 turbo is a great engine. A couple of little niggles with the Focus, firstly it’s driven by the front wheels, secondly the Zetec is a great little engine but to get big HP its very expensive!!.
So the plan so far, First up I purchased a 97 plate Saab 9000 turbo, generally in reasonable nick, drove very well with a stonking motor, pulled the complete front sub frame, transmission, motor, suspension and brakes from under the car, scrapped the rest. Second purchased a 52plate ST170 3door hatch

So far we have removed all the interior, engine and transmission all underside components and then cut out the complete rear floor pan, not an easy task as it weakens the structure somewhat!! So we have welded some temporary bars in place to hold it securely

Vehicle manufacturers are very good to us at times because what they have done is to mount a complete engine – transmission – suspension assembly on a subframe which is almost ready to use, I have made a support frame which holds the suspension in place and the now fixed steering arms this will become part of the rear structure of the Focus and all welded into place

Here we have the Saab engine placed in the back just to size it all up, very pleased so far, it looks right at home

Outline plan is to use the current engine just to get it all fitted in and running once its in and running I will pull it back out and replace the engine with a modified 2.3 lump, I’m currently gathering the necessary goodies
Cheers for now

MsD

posted on 14/1/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent!

Having just bought an RS I know how well these cars handle in standard form, I bet its going to be a weapon when finished!

Mark.

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/1/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Impressive. Seeing that the front of the focus is considered a totally crushable area where are you putting the fuel tank?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 14/1/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Having just bought an RS I know how well these cars handle in standard form, I bet its going to be a weapon when finished!

Itl be a beast but im assuming all the control blade suspension has gone?? Thats what makes them handle so well.

Looks a good project but you need another engine in the front aswell

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

b3ngy

posted on 14/1/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
interesting project. what sort of power mods are you going to do to the motor?? keep us up to date with progress pictures
BangedupTiger

posted on 14/1/13 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking work, my mate is currently doing this to his 888 coupe, using a vectra Vxr engine.
Proby

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting project, great work, make sure you post updates.....

Visit GraphicMonster

coyoteboy

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Excellent! Having just bought an RS I know how well these cars handle in standard form, I bet its going to be a weapon when finished! Mark.

Indeed, but all the rear suspension will have been replaced and the weight balance will now be completely different, screwing up the front end too It'll take some fixing, but should be fun!

bi22le

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I want to do this but with a volvo lump in the back of a puma.

Keep up the build blog.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Bare

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ummm.. OK,
I've been a Saab nutter since '84.
My 97 9000 Aero B234R engine is significantly different... in appearance at least.
Perhaps UK'rs were sold on 'other' Saab product? or someone sold you a Turnip :-)

scudderfish

posted on 14/1/13 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Why not leave the original engine in as well for extra giggles?
scudderfish

posted on 14/1/13 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Ummm.. OK,
My 97 9000 Aero B234R engine is significantly different... in appearance at least.
Perhaps UK'rs were sold on 'other' Saab product? or someone sold you a Turnip :-)

Well to my eye it looks a lot like this one http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2296915

froggy

posted on 14/1/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Ummm.. OK,

Look a bit closer and you can just make out the crank sensor hole in the front of the block so its a short block with a unusual cam cover and 900 exhaust manifold

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

jossey

posted on 15/1/13 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
That's the maddddddesst project I've seen yet. Would love to see you at the lights next to some sports car lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
on_eighty_runner

posted on 15/1/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent project, I have the same plans with same engine on the back of a 400mm shortened Haynes chassis for a "sporty" middy.

Any chance you have a few more photos or dimensions of your subframe and uprights "unit"?
Particularly side on photos.

I don't want to pull apart a full car to get a few key dimensions!

The very best with your works
Steve

Saabocus

posted on 5/2/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
It’s In!!
After a day’s measuring, more measuring, tweaking, it’s finally in place and with a couple of brackets made to locate it, it’s been welded exactly where I want it, just got to now attach it to the chassis and strengthen the rear end to cope with the extra weight, very pleased so far, it looks like it belongs in the back.

Added bonus the Saab wheel PCD is the same as the Ford, centre boss on the Saab is a big bigger but a simple adaptor plate/combined spacer means the Ford wheels fit onto the Saab hubs, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the callipers, more challenges !!

Cheers for now

froggy

posted on 5/2/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got any ideas about your gear linkeage or charge cooling yet ?

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

NigeEss

posted on 5/2/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is the body propped up ? As those drive shafts are on one h3ll of an angle !

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Saabocus

posted on 7/2/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, body still has to go down by 50mm or suspension up by 50mm
Mistron

posted on 24/2/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I talked about doing something similar to a mini - basically building a 'twinni' and was looking into the hassle of linking up twin gear linkages, throttles etc when my pal came up with an ingenious solution - use an Automatic donor : the front will sort itself out to suit the rear.

I do hope you are going to keep the front engine thoughall this work, you might as well have 4WD.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.