Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jenkos blog No21
nickm

posted on 11/9/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Jenkos blog No21

Hi Jenko
Just read your blog about the exhaust and opening of bodywork.
I was up at Jeremys picking up my seats the other day and his latest Vectis hinges at the seat end it creates excellent space to work on the engine, im looking to do the same but our double hoops leave the fibreglass really fragile gonna have to think about this one. The CAT etc is oval/flat so makes it very compact so no clearance issues from the lip underneath and MGF donor exhaust system.

Any J15 potential builders he did mention the "totalkitcar" day at Blyton next w/e but i would ring to confirm as he doesnt normally do these sort of things.

NickM

Paul AS

posted on 11/9/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

There will be at least 2 J15's at Total Kit Car Live, and hopefully a third, in the shape of the green full screen Vectis as well.

Jeremy is taking his K series 1.6 red car and I will be there doing passenger laps as well in my 1.4 zetec car.

The exhibitors pass is already in my car, so barring unforeseen circumstances, we will both be there.

The new blue Vectis demonstrator will also be there as a static demonstrator.

Maybe see you there.

Regards

Paul

Jenko

posted on 11/9/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hey nick........I'm pretty much decided on hinging I from the front....I have a cunning plan involving some angle alloy under the fragile part you mention.....I just need to get the exhaust sorted then I'll worry bait the body work........

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

deeceee09

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul

I have posted a comment on your blog about wheels. I shall be intrigued to see how you hinge the engine cover from the front. Access there is awful at the moment and I have been wondering about some sort of quick release arrangement for the hinge so the clam-shell could be lifted off quickly. I have that system at the front which works quite well.

David

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

Jenko

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

I replied direct to you re the wheels....I'm going to try and take some photos this evening.

Regarding the rear clam...I recall on JP's car I could hardly get to the engine, and as a serial engine tinkerer, figured this would not be too good for me. I have played around with some up and over hinges from VW's and fords, but could not get them to work.

My thoughts now are to fit brackets either side onto the chassis close to the top seatbelt anchor points. The main tub would sit over the top of these and simply rest on them. The bracket would have threaded holes to accept bolts from the hinges. Theory being that the brackets take all the weight of the rear clam rather than the very thin and weak fiberglass. The other issue this brings up is the bottom of the clam at the rear will need cutting and shaping to clear the exhaust / link pipes / cat, etc when it's lifted. But this is something I'm willing to sacrifice for good engine access.

As they say...'these things are sent to try us!'

nickm

posted on 12/9/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Yes might see you there Paul should be a good day out.

With the fragile fibreglass i did nearly insert a 16mm x 3mm steel bar across the width to strengthen it anyway but it may be like you that i need a cunning plan to use steel for a hinge fixing as the access is brilliant when opened that way but i also considered the rear hinge being a lockingbolt/dowel type mechanism to just lift off the whole thing after removing a split pin ?

750MC at Cadwell a few weeks later as well, no wonder it takes me so long to build it/

Nick M

Jenko

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget, if you want to do a quick lift off arrangement, to allow for the lighting loom to be also quick release.

deeceee09

posted on 12/9/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't forget, if you want to do a quick lift off arrangement, to allow for the lighting loom to be also quick release.

Already done

deeceee09

posted on 13/9/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Paul

Never did find your direct reply re the wheels?

David

Jenko

posted on 13/9/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deeceee09
Paul

Never did find your direct reply re the wheels?

David

Just checked...I replied direct to the blogger email....which is a no reply!...apologies....resent.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.