Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A design for a sportscar
GRRR

posted on 28/9/13 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
A design for a sportscar

Hi al,

Thought I'd post this - it's a work in progress so lacking lots of detail but if you like/hate it, it'd be great to hear. Configured for a mid engined chassis, drawn with 16" wheels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pca1bucltxp25k/Mila%20tsh001_Render%20004.jpg

steve m

posted on 28/9/13 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quite pretty !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 28/9/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea on wind deflection for the driver?

Any pics from thr rear?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

joneh

posted on 28/9/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Looks

Build it!

designer

posted on 28/9/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Very good, can see where certain features came from.

BUT, don't like the head fairings, I think it unbalances the design. Hoops would be better.

Agree something is needed to protect the drivers.

Design looks front engined, for mid-engine, shorter front and longer back.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 28/9/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! What market sector is it aimed at?

Looks as if the room at the rear is for a transverse mid engine in which case it looks as if the weight balance would be around 40/60 which is great for a track car but a little unstable for a road car driven by the average Joe.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GRRR

posted on 28/9/13 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

Will be an aeroscreen for cost saving reasons as a start then a full screen can follow later. In this view there is a gloss black aeroscreen but tricky to see against the black background. [url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/99dck779h9k07pz/Mila%20tsh001_Render%20008.jpg]

The rear view will follow in a bit.

I'm not sure on the humps either! In my head I wanted them but when viewed in 3d I'm not sure they work. Without them the rear needs a bit more work to prevent it looking bland.

Market sector could go one of 2 ways - could easily keep it budget ie 7 clone or MEV level but that limits potential for producing high value, high end other models in the future. I think it's more likely to succeed to be a premium brand that could release a budget model, than a budget brand that might want to do a premium model.

Budget would mean using lots of the donor car and cheap aftermarket bits, premium is investing in suspension design and setup, posh dampers, CNCd parts, Stack dash etc.

Obviously would be road legal (lights not on yet) and great for track days or just fun road use.

It is mid engined and been drawn around engine and gearbox dimensions. I think it's the 'wide angle perspective' that makes the front look longer as its nearer the camera.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 28/9/13 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
looks nice but front is very similar to the raw fulcrum

http://www.clubstylus.be

bi22le

posted on 28/9/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
If I was trying to make some money in this industry I would consider not even making a car.

I would develop a good looking and unique body and sell that with a retro fit method that can fit the majority of chassis.maybe the shell could come in different sizes or be partially modular.

I think there is a market for people that have cars and want them to look different or be more streamlined /modern looking.
There I also a market for people that build pre fab chassis or from scratch and need a body to finish it.

If you could provide a modern, smart aero effecient, well designed universal tub it may go far.

Obviously this will help fund and promote your chassis development which in my eyes is more difficult and a flooded market.

My 2p regarding the humps behind the heads, I like them and they help issues with tall engines. Consider roll over protection and full cage.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Chris Ridgers

posted on 28/9/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Werner the front looks like the fulcrum, rest of the body isn't do dissimilar to an aero version of the La Bala
La Bala
La Bala

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mookaloid

posted on 28/9/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very good and plenty different enough from the 2 cars mentioned above.

Hope you get to make it

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

GRRR

posted on 29/9/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
If I was trying to make some money in this industry I would consider not even making a car.

I would develop a good looking and unique body and sell that with a retro fit method that can fit the majority of chassis.maybe the shell could come in different sizes or be partially modular.

I think there is a market for people that have cars and want them to look different or be more streamlined /modern looking.
There I also a market for people that build pre fab chassis or from scratch and need a body to finish it.

If you could provide a modern, smart aero effecient, well designed universal tub it may go far.

Obviously this will help fund and promote your chassis development which in my eyes is more difficult and a flooded market.

My 2p regarding the humps behind the heads, I like them and they help issues with tall engines. Consider roll over protection and full cage.

Just trying to understand your points a little better:

The first option, to retro fit the majority of chassis - I'm not sure this is possible? What are the majority of mid engined chassis? The only chassis I think I'd want to put a body on is the Sylva J15 and thats too small - nice looking car but the driver sits too far back in the chassis for any of my designs and people kind of look like they're going to fall out! I thought about extending it but the chassis layout doesn't lend itself to that and also it could ruin the suspension dynamics. Not many other chassis around. I did think about bodies for anyone who wants to 'refresh' their existing kits but in terms of mid engined cars there's a limited pool of suitable candidates.

The market for people who want to build a chassis from scratch, sounds like a bespoke body service if someone thinks 'i want to make a car with an audi V6, I just need a body for it' but to produce 1 off bodies would be hugely costly to make and therefore too expensive to sell.

What do you mean by a universal tub? Is that a tub as in chassis like the GTM Libra?

The thought process behind my idea is too make (to my eyes) a good looking modern kit car design that doesn't cost the earth. That concept is certainly NOT in a flooded market!

I don't like rebodies/panel kits as theyre too constricting for a design and end up looking slightly odd. The MEVX5 never took off despite being decent looking, cheap rebody for an MX5, for whatever.

Well spotted on the humps - I was trying to allow something in the design to cope with tall engines without a weird looking lump on the engine lid.

The other references to the Fulcrum and La Bala - its vaguely similar but that bit of the Fulcrum looks ok.. - and La Bala, I think its plenty different (but then I would!) and a shape like that is mostly dictated by layout and trying to end up with a svelte body.

Cheers again for comments, I love a good kit car design/market discussion and I've bored everyone to death at home

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.