Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTM Libra - Any good?
Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
GTM Libra - Any good?

Just wondering what these kits are like, there is one currently on ebay which I really like the look of. Ive done a search but cant seem to find much info on them regards to handling, engine options, costs etc.

If any one can share some thoughts and ecperience that would be most apprecitated

Kind regards

Raj

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=183445

tegwin

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I rather like them. Always wanted to build one when they were being produced.

The one on ebay does look very smart but I can't help thinking (and the reason I never did build one) is that for the money a decent elise or exige could be a better buy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
That was for sale at stoneleigh the other week. To be honest and I don't like knocking peoples efforts but I've seen better examples. A mate of mine has one with the zcars rear suspension upgrade and its a different beast and its in mint condition inside and out.
MikeRJ

posted on 12/5/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Everything I've read suggests the standard rear suspension isn't great, but they are fantastic looking cars.
garyo

posted on 12/5/15 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
As Mike says they're great cars but they never quite got the rear sus cracked. Great in theory but the play in the joints or rear bulkhead flex was never quite good enough for the design. The resale prices sometimes look a bit toppy given the price of something equivalent like an Elise or VX200!

[Edited on 12/5/15 by garyo]

mitch2b

posted on 12/5/15 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I Have one, 1,8 k series engine, goes well, but can be a bit skittish with too much air in rear tyres, I got mine as a love lost example, guy drove it for 5 yrs, changed jobs and left it in his garage, I recommisioned it, ( did headgasket my own fault, I was to eager to drive it and didn't check for leaks in hoses from rad in front)
used it for work for weeks, used it for blatting, couple of weekends away , Scotland, wales been a good car,very practicle,
I paid 4 k then anoth grand on mods and upgrades ( head gaskets hose,rad, new lights and did some carbon wrap of panels,ie roof and boot,
)
im in chorley ,car sorned at mo, house move in three weeks, not sure if theres any nr you to go for a run in try gtm forum,

Mitch

[Edited on 12/5/15 by mitch2b]

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 12/5/15 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
just been told these were based on mini's, metro's??

thats really put me off, I would of though a nice space frame would of been lurking under that body, but gutted now.

Cheers for all the comments, really helpful chaps :-)

Kind regards

Raj

leon51274

posted on 12/5/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Metro's

quote:
Originally posted by Autoflock Motorsport
just been told these were based on mini's, metro's??

thats really put me off, I would of though a nice space frame would of been lurking under that body, but gutted now.

Cheers for all the comments, really helpful chaps :-)

mitch2b

posted on 12/5/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Metro bits are steering column. Pedals wire loom and hubs ... There nothing g like a metro .... Like saying a seven is a Sierra !,
garyo

posted on 12/5/15 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
It's a GRP monoqoque with spreader plates for the wishbone pickups (two at each corner), GRP crash box at the front, two hinging clamshells, and an engine spaceframe at the rear - probably one of the most advanced/innovative/brave (take your pick) kit designs on the market!

A lot of them are based on MGTF running year, with metro steering column, wiper motor, and door locks.

[Edited on 12/5/15 by garyo]

mitch2b

posted on 12/5/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
as above very little metro, unless its built with original engine and dash (very rare to see)
5,5K I could be tempted and swop for a westie lol

Jenko

posted on 12/5/15 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just goes to show you shouldn't listen too much to what people tell you.....as mentioned there could be a few metro parts on it but the chassis is it's own. The caterham r500 uses triumph herald uprights....nuff said.

Re the car, I really like them, something a bit different. I noticed a really nicely prepared one a track day once, it was really going quickly. Like all of these kit cars, the build quality and spec can make a huge difference......things like decent shocks, wheels, tyres, brakes, seats, engine spec, set up, etc, etc can all quickly add up.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Sam_68

posted on 12/5/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
As Mike says they're great cars but they never quite got the rear sus cracked. Great in theory but the play in the joints or rear bulkhead flex was never quite good enough for the design.

This is the general opinion, and I've heard it from people whose views I trust and respect and who have driven them on track, so I've no reason to disbelieve it ...

...but my personal experience is that for road use, when everything is in good condition, they're just fine.

I had the opportunity to drive one back-to-back with an Elise on public roads, for a magazine road test article a good few years back, and it fared surprisingly well. The Elise was better in every respect, but only just - which considering their respective development budgets, and the the size/experience of their respective development teams, is really quite remarkable. The only thing that really let it down against the Elise was the bangs and clonks from the front and rear clams knocking against the central tub as it went over bumps and potholes, but I'm sure that these could be sorted.

If you can't quite afford an Elise, or want something a bit more individual, they're the next best thing.

ravingfool

posted on 12/5/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
There's a nice looking spider on eBay too at the moment. Hadn't seen these before...

ebay

Although the buy it now price seems rather optimistic!

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 13/5/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the feedback, really struggling to get any pics of the chassis and im guessing the kit is no longer available? I veen in touch with factory five about their scooby based kit which im very tempted at, lovely shape and I would imagine with the chassis design and subaru gubbins should make for a very naughty track car

Kind regards

Raj

rdodger

posted on 13/5/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I had one for 5 years from new.

As with all kit cars a lot of it is down to how well it has been built and maintained.

The GTM, RDM rear suspension is absolutely fine for the road, not so much on track.

I had the Z Cars suspension designed for my car. It changed it completely and was more than a match for a similarly powered Elise/Exige on track.

They are more practical than the Lotus, with a decent boot and storage behind the seats. Some people even used them as a daily driver.

Set up is critical to the way they handle. Suspension geometry, rake and tyre pressure make the difference between a sweet car and an undrivable one.

Desirable things to look out for would be:

MGF or Elise gearchange (originally had rattle rods)
Z Cars rear suspension
GTM designed dash (individual clocks).
Loughborough 3 core radiator (originally Metro)
VVC engine & PG1 gearbox.
Protech dampers.

I could go on about the Libra for days! I loved mine and tracked it down at Stoneleigh. One day I will own it again.

If you want any more info let me know.

Slimy38

posted on 13/5/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
It is a shame they stopped making them, considering there just isn't anything close on the market at the moment they would have done quite well. The evidence is in the resale values of current ones.

As mentioned, it is just a shame that the prices have been pushed beyond well known factory cars, so it doesn't make much sense to go for one.

Autoflock Motorsport

posted on 13/5/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
thats great info thanks very much,

just been reading this:

http://news.boldride.com/2013/02/factory-five-818-the-future-of-project-cars/24216/

basic price of their kit to my requirements is $13668 which is about £8716

If I get my new garage built in the next 5 months I can see a nice present under the xmas tree this year......thats if my other house sells in time. Really in love with this kit

Kind regards

Raj

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.