Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: curse you midi freaks!!!
merkurman

posted on 18/10/02 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
curse you midi freaks!!!

I am tempted to join you. I found a guy selling over stock 2001 zetec 2.0L complete less ecu,starter, alt for $800. I am leaning to a rear engine super car looking deal with a 2.0 zetec and a 5 speed. was thinking MII front end (alan knows prob how common these are in the states) was thinking of a full cabin with flat glass canopy similar to a stealth cockpit (triangular sections) with a real low nose. so how tough is it to setup susp geometery and such? I do have pro-e 2001 and acad . I am leaning this way or standard locost with a indy chassis anda 2.3L turbo. being stateside what is your opinion alan? before you sugest anything rule out cheap junkyard parts as those aren't around here. about all they have around here and mid sized and small gm/ford cars and suv's hence the zetec option, I could get a tranny and all local for cheap if needed. I was even playing with the idea of a air cooled VW setup (gotta love rust belt)

nick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 18/10/02 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
He, he he......

Another convert!

Nick, I understand the problems, as you know. Small front engined/rear drive donors are very rare here, whereas decent FWD V6 cars are very common. When you talk about using the Zetec would that be longditunal on a VW style of transaxle or transverse on the contour (mondeo UK) transaxle?

Considering any US built locost of any format needs some/significant suspension design, then where the engine is, is irrelevant! You still have to do the design! (which you seem well equipped for)

Bottom line: You will have a lot of time invested in the project, weigh up all your options carefully so you end with something that you really want! Even if it ends up front engined

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wayner

posted on 18/10/02 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Subaru ( there's plenty in the States as two wheel drive, flat 4 motor ( very low engine height ) with transaxle directly behind complete with handbrake, very easy to mount and upwards of 300 BHP on the Turbos, a lot of good kit extremely suitable for kitcars, overlooked by the locost guys & girls.
interestedparty

posted on 18/10/02 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by merkurman
1)I am tempted to join you. I found a guy selling over stock 2001 zetec 2.0L complete less ecu,starter, alt for $800.

2)was thinking of a full cabin with flat glass canopy similar to a stealth cockpit (triangular sections) with a real low nose.

3)so how tough is it to setup susp geometery and such? I do have pro-e 2001 and acad .
nick

1)I would say the only person who could use this is someone who had a 2001 zetec engined car that had had a severe engine failure. It's too expensive bearing in mind you have to then buy an ecu etc.

2)Nothing makes a kitcar look cheap and old fashioned more than flat glass (IMHO) maybe not in the States but in the UK only ghastly wannabe italian exotic replicas use flat glass and it doesn't look good. BTW flat glass is ok in seven style cars.

3) My plan is to make a jig from the bodyshell of the donor Mondeo that I'm using. That way the suspension has already been worked out by Ford and all I need to do is to replace the steering arms with suitable arms of the correct length, bracketed to the chassis with rod ends to make the length and therefore toe adjustable. (and then check the camber and castor to make sure I've got it all right)

You could design a suspension from scratch if you read the right books and work carefully, I don't think you need CAD for that, although if you're good at CAD why not.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

merkurman

posted on 19/10/02 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
well the zetec did have all othe rwiring and I could get a ecu from a wrecker I worked at for about $250. the starter and alt could be had thee for pretty cheap too. I kinda like this idea since it would be a zero miles engine. it would prob be then mounted to a focus axle since those are pretty easy to find here or a moneo axle (unless they are the same) does anyone have any recommended reading I should look at? I got all winter to plan design this out (lots of free time being student) and was hoping to work on a chassis over spring break (full week to weld and fit and another week after that when the parents are going to be gone ) from what I have to do I figured using locost ideads to build a rear engine setup would just as hard. alan you used the front struts and spindels off your donor right?

another donor I was looking at was a ford feistiva (ford man!!!) was thinking of getting a turbo manifold and using one of my turbo 2,3L ecus to run it all (also have a couple spare turbos)

really I am lokoing for something to start my designing from so I can get it started this december.

pro-e sure does make doing this so easy.

nick

Alan B

posted on 19/10/02 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, no I discarded the struts (all of them actually) but kept the spindles, brakes etc.

Struts are possible at the rear, but get a bit high for the front.

I didn't use the rear ones just save some height there, but it all depends on the style of car you are looking to build.

Check out the MOJO:

http://www.sylva.co.uk/mojo.html

It's a very typical transverse mid-engined adaptation of FWD.

theconrodkid

posted on 19/10/02 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just used the centre box of the locost for dims and design then added a square box for front suspension and a similar one for the rear,the mojo is a good looking chassis with a lot less metal than the locost
merkurman

posted on 20/10/02 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I like that mojo!!! I got a mate that has a feistiva to sell for $200 (he lost the title and it needs alxes) I was thinking of getting to turbo and beat to hell but using it as a donor for a MEC would be nice too. it is down on power but I got a IHI turbo off a 2.3L I could put on it and I think the ecu could handle the engine. my big problem is that I would like to get some drawings on some of these engine combos so I could start designing a chassis without having to outlay for a donor. does anyone know what a 1.3/1.6 mazda b6 weigh in at? I figure prob 125kg or so right?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

Rorty

posted on 21/10/02 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've built quite a few mid-engined cars, and they are the ultimate!
I have some pics on my web site of a V8 mid-engined beetle I built. You may get a few ideas from that.
Let me know if I can help.
www.rortydesign.com

MrFluffy

posted on 21/10/02 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty, you havent got any autocad files of that chasis you make for grabs have you? I'd buy your chassis for sale, but shipping to france would cost more than the chassis...
Your using the same sort of bits I hope to, except my trans is a UN1 out of the renault espace instead of the R30 (almost the same trans) and donk is the trusty rover...
Im using it with my kitcar, to get handling to go with the looks...
If you feel like sharing infos..
As a weird aside, I used to live in sussex, not far from that college.. (steynning) ..

Alan B

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
I've built quite a few mid-engined cars, and they are the ultimate!
I have some pics on my web site of a V8 mid-engined beetle I built. You may get a few ideas from that.
Let me know if I can help.
www.rortydesign.com

Nice stuff
Welcome mate! I look forward to your contributions

merkurman

posted on 21/10/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
well I just scored a set of uprights off a merkur for $50 (fr/rr) so I might use the fronts for a mec and the rears will be going under my car with a MK indy style irs. should be interesting to do. I am really liking the mojo or something similar to it. any idea on what it weighs in at? how wide/long is it?

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI

merkurman

posted on 25/10/02 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
well sinc eI scored a pair of coilovers on ebay for $90 today I think I will go through with a wild idea...putting a MK indy IRS under a Sierra. go the coil overs a spare set of hub and time!!! hoping to make one wild street racer hehehehe. I still want to doa mid or even a locost but this will eat up a little less time and I can always put the factory IRS back in it. this will also give me a lesson in chassis engineering and ARM building. so it looks like I got this much in it

$90+shipping shocks
$50+shipping set of hubs

and now I need 14 rod ends and jam nuts.some steel tubing and I should be set. this will be scary if I can get it done for under $500 (fingers crossed)

nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.