Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Renaults
chrisg

posted on 1/11/02 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Renaults

Hey it's Chris visiting from the main list, you crazy, engine in the wrong place, varmints!

Question:Which of the Renaults has the transaxle that's sometimes used in Mid-Engined kit cars?

21,25 or 30?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

theconrodkid

posted on 1/11/02 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
25 and 30 certanly,dont know bout 21,they are all built with french attitude and gauranteed to fall to bits at the earliest oppertunity
chrisg

posted on 1/11/02 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
how's the engine fitted in relation to the transaxle john? is it in front, or behind?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

interestedparty

posted on 2/11/02 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
in front, in the same relationship as in the donor car, unlike vw box which has to be turned upside down in a mid engined layout

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Rorty

posted on 2/11/02 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
25, 30, 21, and Espace AFAIK. There are also some exotic ones.

CONRODKID, they're very tough and well built, and find themselves in such machines as the Countach replicas using American V8 power and gobs of torque. They also turn up in Autograss specials, again , taking a thumping, and a fair number have been put to use in conjunction with big bore V8 Rover motors in mid-engined, tube-frame, road-going Beetles!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 2/11/02 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmmm...............interesting.

Thanks for the replys chaps

Any idea where one would obtain an adapter plate to fit a Rover V8 to one of these things?

Cheers

Chris

interestedparty

posted on 2/11/02 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, you can get all the renault to RV8 stuff you might need from NF Autos, the people who do the P4 replicas. They also supply gearchange components and adaptors to join the renault output shafts to ford driveshafts. Will post a link later

I had a good look at the Rv8/renault MEC possibilities before concluding that is was much, much cheaper to use the power unit from a front-wheel drive car (Mondeo 2litre in my case). There was also the problem of the length, it's possible to get shorter water pump etc for the RV8 but it all adds to the cost, plus 2 exhaust systems etc

John

[Edited on 2/11/02 by interestedparty]

interestedparty

posted on 2/11/02 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Link as promised-
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/extras.htm

John

[Edited on 2/11/02 by interestedparty]

theconrodkid

posted on 2/11/02 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Rorty i know they can take V8 power,its just us brits hate the french so much we like to slag them and their products down at every opertunity
philgregson

posted on 7/11/02 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
21 has transaxle in 2l variant.

Had a couple many years ago - smashing engine (honest).

Always thought that the V6 turbo from a 25 (same transaxle) would be a good base for a mid engined car (if I were daft enough to want my engine in the back seat - where does the shopping go for goodness sake?)

MrFluffy

posted on 12/11/02 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
transaxles!!!

Missed this post sorry guys, I was away trying to rebuild my renault master engine in the middle of nowhere in rural france.. You'd think renault spares would be cheaper in france too #!@#&@ bloody motor!
Anyway....... A paste from
http://www.gt40club.clara.net/kvabuild.htm
Ive had another thought too, when I was under the master, I was eyeing up the transaxle on that, halfshafts that'd take anything you threw at em, and it doesnt look that big, and it HAS to be a strong box. Looks VERY like the un1 I have, in terms of bracing too. Wonder if that could be used instead....
Anyway, on with the paste..

Renault five speed manual transaxle gear and differential ratios
Model Part No. Ist 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Rev Diff
20 369.00 3.36 2.06 1.38 1.06 0.82 3.55 4.11
369.05 3.36 2.06 1.38 1.06 0.82 3.55 4.11
20TX 369 3.36 2.06 1.38 1.06 0.87 3.55 3.778
20 LS/TS 369 3.82 2.18 1.41 1.03 0.86 3.55 3.778
21 Turbo UN1-013 3.36 2.05 1.38 1.03 0.82 3.54 3.44
25 GTX UN 1-03 3.36 2.05 1.38 1.04 0.82 3.55 3.89
25 V6 UN 1-04 3.36 2.05 1.38 0.96 0.76 3.55 3.89
Alpine GTA UN1-05 3.36 2.05 1.38 1.04 0.82 3.55 3.44
25 Blindee UN 1-06 3.36 2.05 1.38 0.96 0.76 3.55 4.11
Alpine Turbo UN1-07 3.36 2.05 1.38 0.96 0.76 3.55 3.44
25 V6 Turbo UN1-08 3.36 2.05 1.38 0.96 0.76 3.55 3.778
30 TX 369-01/06/017 3.36 2.05 1.38 1.06 0.82 3.55 3.89
30 TS 369-01/06/014 3.36 2.05 1.38 1.06 0.82 3.55 3.89

The type UN1-013 Renault 21 Turbo is the preferred transaxle for use in mid engine cars although the 25 Turbo and GTA boxes are also often used. Also note that if the GTA box is used it either has to be inverted or the differential reversed unless five reverse gears are required. Inverting the unit has its advantage as it allows the engine to be mounted lower and get a better drive shaft angle. On all boxes the selector shaft has to be modified to extend out of the right hand side of the gearbox so as to link up with the right hand gear change linkage. The preferred CV joints for the Renault transaxle are from the Ford Granada and adaptors have to be fitted to the Renault transaxle output shafts to couple to these. These adaptors are commercially available items from various sources and cost between £50-£60 each.
The transaxle type can be found on a small aluminium disk around 1-1/4" diameter which is held onto the box by one of the fixing bolts on the rear end cover of the gearbox.

Im building with a UN1 out of a espace by the way

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MrFluffy

posted on 12/11/02 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
link

KINEL!!, I just followed that link someone posted earlier and £300 for a used un1??? You can get a whole renault 25 v6 turbo for that much you know!
One sold on ebay.co.uk a bit back for 250 quid, and there was a transaxle plus motor and all the ancillarys ready stripped for use for 250 quid.
Im going to have a crack at making my own adaptor plate for un1 <> rover v8 too, 400 quid is my entire budget

chrisg

posted on 12/11/02 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Er.........Mr fluffy,

Has the word"Anorak" ever been used in your presence?

That is some info

I consider my question answered.

Cheers

Chris

interestedparty

posted on 12/11/02 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I note that some of the Renault boxes have 4.11 gears. I could say that with those you can really get lost, but would anyone spot the reference?

John

MrFluffy

posted on 15/11/02 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to cry....

Bet this dont last for long :-
http://www.rodandclassicmart.co.uk/
Scroll down and :-

Mankey Rover V8 complete Offers?
Renault Transaxle with bellhousing to fit Rover V8 £350 sussexsmokers@onetel.net.uk 15/11/02

Im under a strict promise not to buy anything else before christmas *sob*

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.