Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Look out in the north east - increase in fun tax on the way
damajin

posted on 28/4/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Look out in the north east - increase in fun tax on the way

All those of you who are lucky enough to enjoy the excellent roads in the north east, better keep an eye out for the man in a camera van before you plant the throttle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8022040.stm

cd.thomson

posted on 28/4/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
and on a linked page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7378695.stm

"This prank could have been a real distraction from the driver and that is not something to laugh about."

Craig

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/4/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Why is it that the only people the government listens to are th men in tweed

quote:

It is understood the driver will not face prosecution as no driving offence was being committed

Well then stop wasting time and more money and leave it alone.

quote:

This behaviour is simply ridiculous...

Get a grip sunshine. If this is the only thing you have to worry about then you're not doing bad at all

Guinness

posted on 28/4/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

No mention of the location of the new sites on the Safety Camera Partnership website though

Someone spotted a new location last week, and it quickly went round the bush telegraph!

Mike

coozer

posted on 28/4/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Oooo, bring back the traffic cop!

Just last night travelling on the A690 going to pick wor lass from work... joined the 50mph section at about 55mph, theres lights about 200 yards back, no other traffic. Coming to Houghton Cut, a steep ish bank I push the throttle and just under 60mph up the hill, pass a car going about 25mph with no lights on...

Over the top of the bank the natural reaction is to throttle off as there's sometimes a scamera van along there and the mush behind comes up to the bumper, I was tempted to boot it when he pulls out, cruises alongside and I see the words "Durham County Constabulary" along the side and a finger waving at me.

He stays there for about 10 seconds, enough for me to get that sinking feeling then speeds off into the distance, me thinking phew, he's doing more than 50.

Why he didn't pull me? Why didn't he pull the no lights lunatic?

Was the Durham reluctant cause he was in Tyne & Wear?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Andi

posted on 28/4/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
re the mooning man.

I always thought the speed cameras only became operational as a result of a speeding vehicle triggering it.
If so how did it take his picture if not speeding?
Obviously I must be wrong.

damajin

posted on 28/4/09 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
re the mooning man.

I always thought the speed cameras only became operational as a result of a speeding vehicle triggering it.
If so how did it take his picture if not speeding?
Obviously I must be wrong.

The traditional ones are triggered by speed sensors in the road just ahead of where the camera faces (next time you cross one, look for the 3 black tar lines just ahead of the 3 white painted lines.

I suspect this image was taken from the newer average speed system which photographs every car as it goes through each checkpoint to read it's plate. A percentage of these are moderated (so a human can double check that the plate has been read correctly).

D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.