Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade gears get knocked into neutral
FirebladeST

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade gears get knocked into neutral

hello - newbie to this game - bought a stuart taylor locoblade recently and didnt have the experience of building it, so i might be asking osme pretty obvious stuff - anyway i want to learn about it now and have already taken some bits off and put back on and want to know more. firstly, my gearbox really clunks through 1st and sencond. ive heard this slack is normal, however, if i hit a few pot holes or uneven stretch of road sometimes it pops out of gear and into neutral and have to cruch the gears back in. is there anything to correct this, sometimes have to drive with my hand on the gear stick more than id like to help prevent it. the guy i bought it off said he had put some heave duty elastic bands round - i think - the prop shaft but took them off when he sold it.

anyone any suggestions?

also - how hard / expensive is it to change gearbox / clutch if anything goes wrong?

Cheers!

blakep82

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
do you mean it jumps to neutral from any gear?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

slimtater

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
It can take time and patience to set up the gear change and clutch to feel just right, but jumping out of gear is more of a problem. That would suggest either a gearbox problem or some serious vibration or play somewhere within the drivetrain.
As for the elastic bands ?????

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

FirebladeST

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
it happens from any gear i think - it only happens on some road where ill hit a few bumps one after each other and its almost like the resonance of several bumos does it - pretty frustrating - put it this way - my bmw saloon would anhilate it on any thing but the smoothest of roads!
blakep82

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, the elastic bands was interesting the only thing i can think of is he's put them on to stop the gearlever rattling back and forward and maybe accidentally changing gear, but ?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

slimtater

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how it can keep ending up in neutral - neutral is between 1st and 2nd gear? Unless the vibration is so bad it changes down the box until it reaches N!

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest it sounds like a knackered selector or worse the actual gears are on there way out - maybe missing teeth.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if treated without a level of mechanical sympathy, bike boxes can be fragile things.

Hopefully it won;t be, and someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to give you a third, less drastic, diagnosis.

Where are you in the country? I can recommend AB performance for all things fireblade, if you are close it might be worth getting Andy to cast his experienced eye over it?

FirebladeST

posted on 9/5/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
near leeds
oldtimer

posted on 9/5/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean false neutrals rather than jumping from,. say, 3rd to neutral?? Could be signs of wear. Elastic bands round the prop shaft sounds bizare. Clutch replacement sbould be simple, gearbox replacement not. I agree with earlier posts that you need this checking by an experienced fireblade locost builder.
gingerprince

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Having to "crunch" it back into gear is a classic sign of having found a false neutral. i.e. you haven't gone to real neutral between 1st and 2nd, but the dogs have disengaged.

Guess would be that either your selector forks are bent and thus your gears are only partially engaged, or you have worn dogs - basically the lugs and grooves have rounded edges and slip out. This could have been caused by sloppy gear linkage.

Both will involve some dismantling work, though the forks I think can be done without splitting the case.

But before doing that, I'd be tempted to check the linkage over and make sure you're getting a full range of movement. It could be as simple as the lever doesn't move quite far enough to full engage. Might not be this, but test to look at the cheaper and easier options first!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.