Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: is this true???
boggle

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
is this true???

just been told by a chap in the office that you cannot wear a crash helmet in any type of car????

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

eddie99

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Bollocks!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cd.thomson

how does he know this?

I'm imagining Gareth from the office

Craig

tegwin

..... does he also believe that his metro has a 6 litre V8?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

balidey

Thats going to make the next F1 race veeerryy interesting

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

omega0684

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
what a c*ck!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Thats going to make the next F1 race veeerryy interesting

One would have to think that the OP was refering to road driven cars.

It's coming....

carpmart

posted on 8/4/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Did you happen to ask him why he believed this or where he got this information from????

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

boggle

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
conversation was about my car having no screen so for distance runs i would wear a crash helmet...

he said it was illeagel to wear one in a car as you cannot see around you properly....i said that cant be right.....

he dissagrees...

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

flak monkey

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I believe its illegal to wear one in a tintop on the road, but not in an open topped car.

I have seen plenty of traffic cops and none have ever stopped me for wearing a helmet in the car.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

eddie99

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i think David is right. In an enclosed vehicle, i think its illegal. But not in a car without a screen for sure.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
What are you mirrors for....

Unless you have a hans on you can still do over-shoulder checks anyway!

rallyingden

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find he is right, thats why on Rallies, drivers have to remove helmets and use headsets.

But I dont think any cop would bother you in an open top car, tin top would be different though.

RD.

nick205

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've passed plenty of traffic police, parked outside a cop-shop and had a chat with one at a filling station whilst wearing a helmet in my old Indy. No mention of legality whatsoever.

I think I've said on here before - I would not drive an open car with no screen without wearing a full face helmet.

[Edited on 8/4/10 by nick205]

TimEllershaw

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
A colleague of mine is very hot on these things (Mr Pedantic) and is also a former rally driver. He maintains that it is illegal.

However, when we consulted a expert policemen (who we consult about other work related stuff) he explained that there is not specific law against it, but you can be done for "not being in complete control of the vehicle" if the helmet restricts your vision or movement.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
A colleague of mine is very hot on these things (Mr Pedantic) and is also a former rally driver. He maintains that it is illegal.

However, when we consulted a expert policemen (who we consult about other work related stuff) he explained that there is not specific law against it, but you can be done for "not being in complete control of the vehicle" if the helmet restricts your vision or movement.

So taking that a step further, if your not in control of a car in a helmet, how can you be in control of a much more unstable vehicle like a motorcycle whilst wearing a helmet.

Maybe he's right, but its another example of how our road laws are an arse.....

locostbuyer83

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
dont tell the stig that, he'll be out of a job

locostbuyer83

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
and who would wear a helmet while driving something like a 1.6 focus driving through town anyway, you'd look retarded

r1_pete

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostbuyer83
and who would wear a helmet while driving something like a 1.6 focus driving through town anyway, you'd look retarded

With some of the driving standards you see now, I think many drivers are.....

morcus

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see how that could be true. You can be done for driving in something that obstructs your vision (Like sun Glasses at night) but I don't see how an outright ban on driving in a helmet could be legal.

What if you have to wear a helmet for some reason?

I though rally drivers took of their helmets on public roads because they don't need them there, not because they have to.

I think if you drove around in a normal car, like the 1.6 focus example, in a helmet you'd probably get stopped because the police would be concerned you might be up to no good, but I doubt they'd prosecute you.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

zilspeed

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I first did it around maybe 1995 or thereabouts. Use to use the car all of the time and always wore a lid.
Have never ever been stopped.

Thankfully, it remains something that a policeman has to make a judgement on rather than being automatically picked up by a camera or other electronic device.
None of the policemen I have passed have made issue.

bi22le

posted on 8/4/10 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
In theory he may be right. There are certain grey laws that they have invented. These laws can basically be applied to anything that a policeman dont like the look at.
Driving without due care and attention and driving with lack or willing control are two of them.
The reason they add law specifics ie for talking on the phone is to make a point of it so they can announce it. People were getting done while on phones before the specific law came in.
Its not illegal to eat while driving but it is illegal to drive without paying proper attention.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

edspurrier

posted on 8/4/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
My old man, many years ago, was driving a Healey through London - down Oxford St - in the rain when it developed an exhaust leak in to the cockpit He couldn't breathe; couldn't put the roof down -
so he put his flying helmet and oxygen mask on and dangled the hose out of the window.
Nobody arrested him, I imagine he got some funny looks though.

JoelP

posted on 8/4/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
My old man, many years ago, was driving a Healey through London - down Oxford St - in the rain when it developed an exhaust leak in to the cockpit He couldn't breathe; couldn't put the roof down -
so he put his flying helmet and oxygen mask on and dangled the hose out of the window.
Nobody arrested him, I imagine he got some funny looks though.

i suspect you'd end up like Jean Charles if you did that nowadays!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

LBMEFM

posted on 8/4/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
If a helmet restricts vision then watch out for bikers they may not see you.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.