Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middy - LSD - Pros And Cons
mid-buggy

posted on 22/4/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Middy - LSD - Pros And Cons

So looking at various options for engine/box and an LSD was mentioned.

What benifits and problems do LSDs cause for a middy?

(Looking at R1 engine)

v8kid

posted on 22/4/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
No problems with a LSD.

Depending on power you may not need a LSD traction is inherently better on a middy - what are the symptoms?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m8kwr

posted on 22/4/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a sierra lsd, chain drive, from doug @ westgarage, complete with reverse.

Not used it yet, so can't comment, ask me again in about a year or so....

JoelP

posted on 22/4/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
No problems with a LSD.

Many people say that an LSD will make it bite later but harder. So there is a good argument that, on the road, since you dont really need race performance off the line, that an open diff is better/more forgiving. Also, an open diff is about 6kgs lighter.

However, its horses for courses and im sure people will support both sides of the camp.

OP, i would say that if you have an LSD, you may as well fit it and see what you think.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 23/4/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If your serious about getting it low and light and keeping the CG low then you would be better off without.

Even though it's the rules did you know Formula Fords have an open diff? You don't see them spinning inside wheels or having grip problems do you.

Many other lighter race cars don't use one either, higher/taller road cars with high CG's that want to lean over and dramatically reduce weight on the inside wheel is a different story.

I was running around in my proto with open diff the other week (low, low CG, wide track etc) and while playing I could not get the inside to break, merrily sliding around the factory both with wheels spinning in unison. (I can get 3rd gear in the factory, it's rather large!).

[Edited on 23/4/10 by cheapracer]

It's coming....

kb58

posted on 23/4/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cheapracer
...I was running around in my proto with open diff the other week (low, low CG, wide track etc) and while playing I could not get the inside to break, merrily sliding around the factory both with wheels spinning in unison.

The only ways the above can happen are:
1. Zero load transfer in cornering.
2. Fantastic grip.
3. Lack of power...
4. And or not turning while under power.

For any street car I'd recommend it, unless you have low power. That said, I recall reading that the Lotus Elise has an open diff, and it's not a problem except on tight corners on autocross typ courses.

[Edited on 4/23/10 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mid-buggy

posted on 23/4/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
The LSD is an option (extra £100 ontop) and having never driven an Middy with an LSD I dont know if its a good or bad thing to have.

Engine will be R1. (Once I have found the right engine and have the cash lol)

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 24/4/10 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
[
The only ways the above can happen are:
1. Zero load transfer in cornering.
2. Fantastic grip.
3. Lack of power...
4. And or not turning while under power.

For any street car I'd recommend it, unless you have low power. That said, I recall reading that the Lotus Elise has an open diff, and it's not a problem except on tight corners on autocross typ courses.

[Edited on 4/23/10 by kb58]

Wow, 4 out of 4 wrong.

1 low transfer and anti squat
2 Concrete floor with plenty of dust
3 Honda 2.0 pushing 600kgs
4 errr...??

Might be reasonable etiquette to explain why you recommend it rather than just saying it.

The Lotus isn't alone in the light middy with no LSD class, MGF for example and MR2's (optional).

It's coming....

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 24/4/10 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mid-buggy
The LSD is an option (extra £100 ontop) and having never driven an Middy with an LSD I dont know if its a good or bad thing to have.

Engine will be R1. (Once I have found the right engine and have the cash lol)

Learn the car first and enjoy it, you can get away with a lot more without one while having fun, then go for a LSD later if you feel you need it.

It's coming....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.