Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing a stubborn xflow head
damajin

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Removing a stubborn xflow head

After some advice guys...

Having checked the compression on my engine at the weekend and found it was down on piston 3, I thought it would make a great winter project to strip the engine down and try and recondition it before next summer. The car is now SORN for the winter so I started dismantling things. Long story short... I have drained the coolant, removed everything from the head, removed the bolts, but the thing just wont budge!

I have given it the customary "tap" with a nylon headed hammer (albeit a not particularly heavy one) and still nothing. The seal has been broken as there is a trickle of coolant coming out when I tug on it, but it just won't lift off. I have also tried turning the engine over by hand as the Haynes suggested the compression in the cylinders may break the seal, but this just resulted in more coolant leaking out (I guess whatever was left in the pump) but nothing else.

Any suggestions??? As you may have guessed I'm new to this!

Cheers
D

D Beddows

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
a short length of 2" x 4" against the head and a big hit with a decent hammer - if water is seeping out you've gone to far to go back now

MikeR

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
fit the exhaust / inlet and give those a light tap with the mallet.

If it comes to it, refit the studs but leave each one not quite tight, then turn the starter motor. The compression you get them should free the head - never tried this, just thought of it as i was writing the 'mallet' comment.

l0rd

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried twisting the engine?

MikeR

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
one thing - even though you've got the studs out the head still has some little locating studs that stop it moving side to side. You need to hit / lift it upwards.
dilley

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
double check to make sure all bots etc are out!
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Refit manifolds, plugs and dizzy. turn the key and start - never fails. A ratchet strap around the engine stops the head embedding itself in the artex

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

damajin

posted on 6/10/10 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I'll try using the starter motor tonight (assuming this rain lets off a little) and see if that shifts it. Failing that I'll be back looking for new ideas
steve m

posted on 6/10/10 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I would put money on some bolts left in, as i have never had a problem with a xflow

you have taken the rockershaft off ???

Steve

damajin

posted on 6/10/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, rocker and both manifolds off and all 10 bolts removed. Just won't come loose.

I'll have another look before I do anything radical, but I'm sure I've got everything off. I can post some pics if necessary, but I'm not sure that will help.

I agree though, it does feel like there's something holding it on! Maybe I've missed something obvious

bartonp

posted on 6/10/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Spark plugs in, rockers off (so all valves closed). Crank on starter.....
damajin

posted on 6/10/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Head now off! As suggested, turning the engine over with the starter with the valves all closed and the plugs in did the trick. Thanks to all who gave advice.

D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.