Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommendation for motor engineers in Southampton area
damajin

posted on 8/10/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Recommendation for motor engineers in Southampton area

Having got the head off the xflow (see earlier post) I have discovered that one of the valves guides knackered (as is the valve) so I need a new one pressing in.

Can anyone recommend a workshop in the Soton area? I found a couple of places on yell.com, but would rather use somewhere people can recommend if possible.

Also with the guides and valves, is it OK to replace just the one that's shot or should I be doing the whole set?

Cheers
D

speedyxjs

posted on 8/10/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cant help with a place to do them im afraid but i would say have them all done while you are there.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Strontium Dog

posted on 8/10/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Get a reputable firm to measure them all, valve to guide, and then replace those that you need to. If it needs 6-7 out of 8 then do them all. If it just needs 1-2 then just do them!
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/10/10 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Why not have an unleaded conversion done at the same time, probably done on the same machine

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scutter

posted on 8/10/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
5-6 years ago, i used Saunders Motor works in Cadnam, to do the work on my X-flow, good people and the workshop looks like it's been used! Don't know if there still about.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
damajin

posted on 8/10/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
5-6 years ago, i used Saunders Motor works in Cadnam, to do the work on my X-flow, good people and the workshop looks like it's been used! Don't know if there still about.

ATB Dan.

Saunders was one of the ones that came up on Yell, so I'll give them a shout.

quote:
Why not have an unleaded conversion done at the same time, probably done on the same machine

I was told that it had already been converted for unleaded when I bought it and I have been running it on that since I got it. Is there an easy way to check, from what I've read if done properly it's pretty hard to tell?

nick205

posted on 8/10/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Owslebery Crankshafts in Winchester, used them a number of times and always been more than satisfied. Know what they're doing and fairly priced work.

Once rebuilt I'd recommend Airey Tuning in Bramdean for a full engine setup.

The two know each other and if you speak to Tom Airey beforehand he can advise on any mods or parts to get the best results.

damajin

posted on 8/10/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Owslebery Crankshafts in Winchester, used them a number of times and always been more than satisfied. Know what they're doing and fairly priced work.

Once rebuilt I'd recommend Airey Tuning in Bramdean for a full engine setup.

The two know each other and if you speak to Tom Airey beforehand he can advise on any mods or parts to get the best results.

Thanks, Tom has been recommended to be by various people in the past. He obviously has a very good rep.

DanP

posted on 8/10/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
There's a place on burgess road that are ok, they took a broken bolt out of one of my heads and can do most things on an engine for a pretty reasonable price.

I think they are called woodmill engineering.

Cheers
Dan

tandi

posted on 8/10/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Contact Brett Sims Motorsport in new Milton.
Brett is a good friend and a cylinder head god. You won't find better! He will also do full race setups

01425 626146
Mention Kevin with the fisher fury recommended him to you.

damajin

posted on 15/10/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys, loads of great advice.

Took the head to Brett Sims in the end and he's done a stunning job on it. Cleaned it up perfect and was really helpful.

Definitely recommend him to other people.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.