Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mighty twincharged kitten
froggy

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
not much to show but finally settled on the mounts for the air to air intercooler and got all the boost hose runs mocked up

working on the front end now carving bigger holes in the inner wheelarches to gain some steering lock and modify the pedals for heel and toe etc

[Edited on 7/4/11 by froggy]

[Edited on 8/4/11 by froggy]

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Minicooper

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,
Just a quick question, between the b204 and b234, if you starting from scratch which would you choose

Cheers
David

froggy

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
what its going in and what sort of power are you looking for ?

[Edited on 9/4/11 by froggy]

Minicooper

posted on 9/4/11 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
It would be a mid engined mini, standardish power to start with, tuned later on, not so much for outright power more for ease of driving.

Cheers
David

[Edited on 9/4/11 by Minicooper]

froggy

posted on 9/4/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds familiar

if your on 13" wheels try and find a complete 2.3 lpt car which will have the taller 3.61 final drive . most of the 2 litre manual cars have the 4,05 final drive which is fine on 16" wheels but too short for little wheels .

for small cars like ours the 204 does rev well and with a set of t5 volvo valve springs (£70) will rev to 7500 quite happily .

the 234 from a lpt car with the t25 will make 200hp with a couple of simple tweaks and they share injectors with the aero so can support 300hp with a bigger turbo

have a look on ecu project as you can tweak the stock hardware with a can usb lead .

have a look at how i sorted my drive shafts as you may have more issues with the standard mini track .

a full car is cheaper than buying and engine ,box ,loom etc and if your donor is a cse you could have cruise control as well

my road car was a £200 mot failure with full history and 70k.

looking at your pictures your rear end is similar to mine so you might sneak the lump in but the drive shafts will be mega short if you run standard track

Volvorsport

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
id agree on the massively over engineered saab aswell .

its not just volvos that can do big power with little work , unfortunately the volvo b234 , never came in turbo form , but youll see swedes turning the wick up to 1000hp and 7 and 8 second quarters .

i think if you count safety as a priority in injectors youll always need more headroom to allow for average joe , and as said before your aguring about BSFC at the now much more efficient 2 bar with a proper sized turbo , it all changes .

and to justify it , i have 660cc injectors for my volvo b234 turbo , and that should make 500 hp

its also not just over engineering , with the right setup , you can avoid , det, pre ign etc which can destroy an engine - bend rods etc .

theres a guy running a std B20 pushrod motor ( in essence)in a 142 in sweden , all std internals , that runs 11 sec quarters , so its all possible .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

froggy

posted on 9/4/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
compared to turbo management systems from other turbo cars of that age the saab system is miles ahead and still has better knock protection than most standalones that are available today .

the 204/234 does make best power towards the lean end of the mixture range so the apc system needs to do its job ,bleed valves are a bad idea .

Minicooper

posted on 10/4/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Froggy/Volvosport,
This is for another mini which uses haynes roadster double wishbone at the front, de dion at the rear and ford sierra running gear all round, so the track is the same as a ford sierra so I should be alright with the driveshafts, I'm also using 15" team dynamics which are close in size to the original saab wheels.

Originally I was going to fit a Honda Blackbird engine I already have, but the idea of chain drive and mucking about with electric reverse is getting less and less appealing. Also using the ford running gear, big brakes and large wheels the mini will not be particularly light for a bike engined car, the idea of using a saab turbo engine just gets more interesting

Cheers
David

froggy

posted on 23/4/11 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
pretty much run out of things to mock up bar the coolant and fuel lines so ripped it apart to start the marathon final wels session

the 2.0 engine came from a low pressure turbo car with 90k on it and just needs a head gasket ,stem seals and a newer pair of timing chain guides . As usual all the cross hatch marks in the bore are still visible and no sign of wear in the mains or big end bearings .

luckily i have a block with a big hole in the side of it that will donate all the bits so the fresh engine will cost a wopping £13 for the head gasket

people going north of 500hp seem to change the fuel supply system so im going to run twin bosch external pumps with 8mm bore feeds that go into a small accumulator before the fuel rail

spiderman

posted on 2/5/11 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Another way of reducing turbo lag is to use nitros with a pressure sensor in the inlet manifold to cut it off once the psi is high enough to spool up your turbo, I beleave some people have used an oil pressure switch to do this but have no experience of it myself, but may be an alternative to a supercharger if space is tight and would probably cheaper to install.

Spider

froggy

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
rear end fabrication done and painted

after being on stands for a few months it looks tiny back on its wheels

Minicooper

posted on 16/5/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,
What diameter tube have you used for the main de dion axle?

Cheers
David

froggy

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
i think its 3mm wall 1 3/4 od tube but its actually a piece of scaffold tube

big_wasa

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Awsome, My next project will be saab powered.
Benonymous

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see the SAAB driveshafts are equal length That jackshaft setup looks very strong.
froggy

posted on 21/5/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
at the risk of giving coyote boy an embolism heres what my saab 9000 road car running a variable vane vgt holset made on a hub dyno using 630cc injectors this morning at mallory park and this is wheel horse power not crank so another 60hp would be a fair guess

froggy

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
a few bits done

body chucked on for mocking up the rear frame to carry the body

coolant and chargecooler pipes running down the tunnel

now working on the dashboard which will have a car pc for easy mapping and constant live data from the ecu for loggging

big_wasa

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I am loving that engine
theconrodkid

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
i have a spare coil pack (black) from my dearly departed blondie if anyone wants to purchase it from me

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coyoteboy

posted on 22/6/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

at the risk of giving coyote boy an embolism heres what my saab 9000 road car running a variable vane vgt holset made on a hub dyno using 630cc injectors this morning at mallory park and this is wheel horse power not crank so another 60hp would be a fair guess

Just don't see how you can get more power than it's theoretically possible to flow with those injectors at 100% DC unless the saab unit manages to get BSFC values close to those of naturally aspirated engines. As it is, if you take a BSFC of 0.5 (never seen a turbo engine with that) you still have to have the squirters at 100% to get 480hp from 630s at 43psi.

In my experience it's far more likely that the dyno is optimistic, but this engine is now on my list of possibilities.

Doug68

posted on 23/6/11 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
Not commenting on the engine as I know diddly about what he's up to but at least the dyno run was on a Dynapack dyno rather than a stupid Dynojet thing so at least the numbers have the potential to be realistic.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

turboben

posted on 23/6/11 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
When the engines in boost would the fuel pressure not go up?
coyoteboy

posted on 23/6/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, but that's to compensate for the differential pressure change across the injectors (ie to maintain the ~43psi between rail and atmosphere, and so the same flow characteristics), resulting in a net zero gain in pressure with respect to air (generally, you can buy FPRs that ramp up faster but it's a poor mans solution and not normal in OEM engines).

[Edited on 23/6/11 by coyoteboy]

turboben

posted on 23/6/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ah ha I hadn't thought of that. That was the only thing I could think of. Makes you wonder doesn't it...
coyoteboy

posted on 23/6/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
certainly does, quite an interesting engine to say the least. 110kg dry, 500hp on standard internals, able to make monster power off fairly small injectors (i.e. great fuel economy), makes you wonder why it's not a recognised race series engine.

[Edited on 23/6/11 by coyoteboy]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.