Poll: Is the bruise trying to kill me or save me?? [View Results]
Yes, she's looking after you.
No, she's plotting different way to kill me

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is the bruise trying to kill me or save me??
RichardK

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is the bruise trying to kill me or save me??

Well it went like this....

Driving back from work, went the back way about 20 miles home, having a bit of fun with vrs octy, about 12 miles in at a place called Linton on Ouse front right wheel went down a great big fecking hole, let the octy go and pulled over to check the wheel as it did go bang, wheel looked ok, rim etc so carried on thought I'd got away with.

Carried on with my usual reckless driving style until I got home, the missues had put her shoebox on the drive so I had to put mine on the road while I shifted hers onto the road so I could put mine in the garage.

Anyway walking back to the bruise I thought the front wheel looked a bit pi55ed so had a closer look and the wishbone was hanging off, was just held on by about 5mm worth of plate, thought I'd better push it into the garage rather than risk the extra weight of my slightly build frame, whilst pushing it in the wishbone completely snapped

If I make some more bones they will be 5mm and not 3mm Although I am looking at buying some more to get her back on the road quickly.

So should the bruise have been able to handle that or is she trying to kill me??

Love Rich xx

Large hi res pictures Linky

[Edited on 24/3/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion 3mm plate is / was a bit thin I think its the weight of that new engine thats done it
Should have kept the Pinto

Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
kin ell,,, think you should buy another lottery ticket this weekend

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

HowardB

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
already posted a comment on the loo-roll thread, is it clear that it was a one off impact that killed that, it looks to me like there has been some fatigue damage,.. any further pictures looking at the damaged edge?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Strontium Dog

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
already posted a comment on the loo-roll thread, is it clear that it was a one off impact that killed that, it looks to me like there has been some fatigue damage,.. any further pictures looking at the damaged edge?

Probably the impact caused a stress fracture and the drive home finished it off. Remember he did stop and check it at the time and didn't notice the wheel was not aligned then!

RichardK

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog

Probably the impact caused a stress fracture and the drive home finished it off. Remember he did stop and check it at the time and didn't notice the wheel was not aligned then!

Thats my thinking too...

Would have had the skoda too

HowardB

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
would be good to see more, if there was already a fatigue crack, then the impact may have assisted the crack to grow, finished off by the last few yards,....

Either way there needs to be some thoughts about re-design, and knowing the failure mode would be helpful

:-)

Howard

lotusmadandy

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell rich, you are a lucky b'stard.That could have
been very nasty indeed.

The bruise is definately looking after you mate.

Andy

Dangle_kt

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch!

Glad your safe!

norfolkluego

posted on 24/3/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Surely a single impact wouldn't have caused that, bent it yes
FASTdan

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch thats nasty!

I think 3mm is a little on the thin side and likely it has probably fatigued over time, being finished off by the impact.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
stevegough

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think its a massive shame.

That you should contemplate actually having let a psudo - warm - glowing hatch - especially a skoda whoop your ass then come on here, confessing and trying to cover it up by blaming the Bruise for having a faulty part.

HANG

YOUR

HEAD

IN SHAMMMMMEE!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

RichardK

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
It was the petrol 200bhp model, does that not count for anything. defo would have had it... in my head anyway...

ashg

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
the plates on the roadster are 5mm looking at that i would have said that even 5mm may have only just survived.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Glad it didn't fail on the move Rich could've been a bit 'awkward'

Personally I think it just goes to show that, like crime, hooliganism doesn't pay

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

fazerruss

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind Richards close encounter.....
HE LET ME HAVE A DRIVE IN IT TODAY!!!!

If you dont like me Rich then just say so

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

RichardK

posted on 24/3/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha

Thats a good point, you could have weakened it!!!!! Didn't think of that.... See.... would have had that skoda if you hadn't broke my car

Rich

MikeRJ

posted on 24/3/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bruise?
ashg

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Bruise?

name of his car

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Bare

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
Shame.. but at least you survived unscathed.
IMO the "champoin' a arm design has Always looked the part of a DIY bodge by someone with surprisingly limited knowledge. Frankly I'm surprised this 'breakage' isn't Epidemic.
Time to do a wee bit of reading on what constitutes a 'clever" arm shock mount setup.
Staniforth and Costin make a decent read on the subject..
Clearly the Champion 'design' isn't worth building IMO..

TheGecko

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested to see a clearer photo of the whole damaged area once you get it apart but, from looking at the wishbone photos in your gallery, the problem is pretty obvious (in hindsight).

This pic of the finished wishbone:

and this one of the jig (which I assume shows the shape of the mounting plate):

indicate that the balljoint is cantelivered out past the end of the tubes so the plate itself is being asked to act as a spring, flexing through the inside edge of the large hole. Failure was probably inevitable the pothole just brought it on more quickly.

I assume this is the Haynes wishbone design, using a Maxi joint?

As an aside, having been a passenger in a Locost that lost the nut on the bottom drivers side balljoint, which then pulled out of the upright in a 80km/hr corner the loss of control was an awful lot less than you would have expected. I didn't realise it was that bad until the driver pulled over (without incident) and we got out and looked. Admittedly, it was the inside wheel in that corner but, still!!

Anway, glad to hear you survived to tell the tale.

Dominic

HowardB

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with ^ the design would appear to be in cantilever in the wrong place. Perhaps your misfortune will save someone a from a real catastrophe. In fact the damper end mounting looks like another likely candidate for problems as it appears to be mounted onto the "thin" plate rather than the box section.

If it were me I would be looking for a new design, and replacing both sides pdq.

At least Bruise waited until you were home to demonstrate the folly of the design.

:-)

Howard

zilspeed

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
This design isn't where I would personally want to end up if desigining a wishbone.

An unsupported flat plat with no folds in it.

Not cool.

Why you wouldn't have either a screw in balljoint or a rod end bearing in a fully supported housing is beyond me.

If those are professionally made wishbones, I trust the vendor has all their insurances paid up.

owelly

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
What the hell are you lot twisting-on about? Bit of duct tape and a couple of cable-ties and it's good to go. Havn't you noticed, the sun is shining??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

RichardK

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I made them as per the Ron Champion book design, however I quite like the mk hoop design. On reflection 5mm > would have been a better choice of material.

Must be plenty knocking around if thats the case and I've not heard of mass failures but I certainly would do them diffently if I was going to make them again.

So if you planning to make book bones maybe re think the material

Cheers

Rich

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.