Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: finally some progress.
suparuss

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
finally some progress.

well what with the recession i had to put the car on hold for quite some time, infact almost sold it at one point! i
i built the larger garage so that i could finish the car just as the recession started but due to the construction industry being completely dead i had to use the workshop for work instead. i have now moved the business into a proper industrial unit so i have some space to work on the car!!
so recently i have finally cast the main body shell for the car and got it mounted. this had been getting put off because i needed to put a long weekend into it to get it all cast and mounted, mainly because the mould had been stored in an awkward position so i wasnt sure if it had held the right shape so wanted to get it mounted while it was still green to enable me to bend it back into shape if required.

so here are some photos-

this is the mould for the shell which is made in 2 halves to make it easier to handle. it is in 5 parts to each side to help with demoulding!

main shell mold
main shell mold

shell mould again
shell mould again

heres an old photo of the plug being made and one with the car with the plug dismantled.

middle section progress
middle section progress

before shell goes on
before shell goes on

and here is the shell mounted and ready to start fixing in place.

with shell mounted
with shell mounted

and here is the car with the shell trimmed, mounted full and the windscreen in place temporarily.

shell trimmed and windscreen
shell trimmed and windscreen

and the inside showing how ive filled all the gaps with alluminium. in hindsight i could have avoided the need for this with better planning with the body work but it would have required a hell of a lot more fibreglassing which i wanted to avoid more!

internal paneling
internal paneling

So looking pretty good now! ive already started the doors and have cast the outer skins for those yesterday and glued the foam reinforcement into them ready to be glassed over. ill get them finihsed next weekend and try and post some more photos.

Cheers,
Russ.

[Edited on 11/7/11 by suparuss]

SeanStone

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very good!

What engine is going in?

rallyingden

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I want one ................

Excellent

RD

RazMan

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering when you would surface again Russ

Good luck with the doors - they can take as long as the rest of the body you know....... so many surfaces and angles to get right.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I do like that!!

moving the car round on those castors, must make the job easier as well

HowardB

posted on 11/7/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
car looks awesome, what is the chassis, or is it homebrew?

as for casters, I found some bread trollies and dexion/ply worked almost as well, and were much less expensive

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Fred W B

posted on 11/7/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Great progress Russ, looks like you are not far away from getting in out into the sun.

Thanks for the pics

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 11/7/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Doug68

posted on 12/7/11 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
Good to see you're back at it!
Car looks great, keep going!

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

suparuss

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. here are some more progress photos-
The doors are now made and just need the latches and handles fitting. im using external handles from an obscure hatchback i can remember the name of, internal handles form an audi A4 and these all need modifying in one way or another! latches are bearclaw and ill also be using a central locking kit. ive also ordered some gas struts to keep the doors open, dont have time to make brackets for a sweeping brush!

reinforcing door skins
reinforcing door skins

doors mounted
doors mounted

doors from rear
doors from rear

close up of door
close up of door

doors closed
doors closed

and from side
and from side

I quite like the 1 hinge approach, wasnt sure if it would be rigid enough but it is really quite good. the hinges are modified from a merc 4x4 boot door which probably weighs around 80kg my doors weigh nearer 4kg!

Cheers,
Russ.

RazMan

posted on 18/7/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
I quite like the 1 hinge approach, wasnt sure if it would be rigid enough but it is really quite good. the hinges are modified from a merc 4x4 boot door which probably weighs around 80kg my doors weigh nearer 4kg!

Cheers,
Russ.

Very striking but I can't help thinking that it will be too fragile - 2 hinge points would be 10 times stronger and make the shut lines parallel every time. Flexing and heat expansion does horrible things to GRP and I had to heavily reinforce the body & doors to keep everything lining up.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 18/7/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

my doors weigh nearer 4kg!

What layup did you use Russ, if I may ask?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

suparuss

posted on 18/7/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

Very striking but I can't help thinking that it will be too fragile - 2 hinge points would be 10 times stronger and make the shut lines parallel every time. Flexing and heat expansion does horrible things to GRP and I had to heavily reinforce the body & doors to keep everything lining up.

This is how i always intended to do it, mainly because of the way it looks, will be interesting to see how the hinges hold up long tem. if i use extra strike plates i should be able to get it allign pretty well i think. the body is bonded to the chassis all around the door opening so hopefully that will narrow any warping down to the door its self.

quote:

What layup did you use Russ, if I may ask?

The layup of the doors consisted of the following process-

1- gelcoat, left to cure untill tacky
2- 1 layer 300g chopped strand + 1 layer 280g twill weave cloth, left to harden and sanded
3- repeat stage 2
4- PU foam glued in place with hot melt glue and shaped
5- repeat stage 2

most of the rigidity comes from the fibreglass around the foam structure, unitll i did this they were quite flimsy.

Cheers,
Russ.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.