Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Well, my lump arrived today
coyoteboy

posted on 2/11/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well, my lump arrived today

So I guess I need to start designing the suspension and chassis around it! This is going to be an adventure! Finally decided to go with the Audi 4.2 V8 and will probably mate it to an 012 2WD box. I'm thinking caparo style staggered cockpit arrangement but that'll come out in the initial designs when I put them down on paper.
GRRR

posted on 2/11/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, nice engine - what CAD will you be using for design work? Or are you using Pen & Paper 2011?!

I'm doing something similar, design-wise.. race ya!

coyoteboy

posted on 2/11/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
SW. I'm currently working on getting my Kinect to work as a 3D scanner to get a model of the engine save me measuring the thing by hand!
eddie99

posted on 2/11/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a brand new audi transaxle if your interested, Although they are worth a fair bit....
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 2/11/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love to have that cash to throw about but I think you'll be out of my price range at the moment Eddie. Which one is it, out of curiosity...
eddie99

posted on 2/11/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
o1e i believe, not sure on the specifics.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 2/11/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Would be ideal but you're possibly better flogging that to the gt40's board - they lap them up. I was considering an 012 - I know it's weaker but I think in my case the tyres will be the weak link torque wise and the box is rated to NEARLY the output of the v8 (used in the TDis) and they're £100 a piece.
eddie99

posted on 2/11/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yup i ended up with a couple, most went to Gt40 owners... Got 1 or 2 left now
coyoteboy

posted on 27/11/11 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Chuffed. Managed to pick up a 6spd 01E with shafts today for less than £100
FASTdan

posted on 28/11/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
SW. I'm currently working on getting my Kinect to work as a 3D scanner to get a model of the engine save me measuring the thing by hand!

As in xbox kinect? I'd be interested to hear how that comes out. Nice idea if it can be done.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, looks like it'll have about 1mm accuracy with enough samples which is good enough for a general model but not really good enough for making parts to mate unfortunately. Probably plenty for speccing engine mounts but we'll see. I'll keep the forum posted.
H7ERO

posted on 29/11/11 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
nice gearbox find im on the hunt for one myself!

where did you source the engine and box? whats the going rates for those audi V8s?

coyoteboy

posted on 29/11/11 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fleabay is your friend. IF you can sit and keep your eyes peeled. So far I've got the lot for <500 quid, but the going rate is about 750 for the engine and 300ish for the box.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/12/11 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome, picked the box up today, in great condition, nice and clean with no leaky seals, comes with starter, shafts and slave cyl/release fork. Couldn't be happier for £70!
coyoteboy

posted on 20/12/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well a year later and I've got the engine partially stripped, rebuilt and prettied up a bit. I've got a flywheel insert (034 motorsport) and a 6 spd box, some wheels, some spindles and designs on paper for the engine management. Not had chance to do anything much on it for the past few months as I've been run off my feet at work but in the background I've been writing a simple simulation to help calculate required brake sizes etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.