Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SPIRE GTR mid engine options and opinions please
coyoteboy

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to threadjack but 600hp from cams and better breathing?! Which cams, where - show me quick - I neeeeed! Unless you're considering adding a hair dryer too?
Tris

posted on 30/11/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Will be interesting to see how the spire behaves with a high weight / high power setup.

When martin first developed the car, it was with a car engine in mind (think the prototype had a audi 80 4 pot). When Paul took the project on, the car was developed more with bike engines, which driven by paul's involvement in RGB.

Saying that there's one spire which has been running for ages now with a R5 Turbo engine (the red bull car), which i believe has been fairly successful. There's also one with a diesel audi unit doing endurance racing somewhere in europe. No one has ever gone down the v8 route to my understanding.

ZX12 gave mine about 160bhp, which while enough initially, i did start to feel that i would of liked more as i got used to the car. Paul's ex-demo Malborough car has a supercharged ZX14 in it (easily over 240bhp) and felt much more alive, especially with two passengers. It was/is fairly fragile with overheating issues, so personally if i was going to do one again then it would have to be a supercharged modern 4-pot (honda maybe).

Might well also be easier to cut the whole rear of the car off and build a new rear frame around the engine of your choice.

Cheers
Tris

Doug68

posted on 3/12/11 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
The 1UZ-FE can make about 400hp normally aspirated and I've read of a couple making 1000bhp+ with boost, therefore if you choose one of them you'll run out of $ or nerve before the engine runs out of more potential.

However, mating them to a transaxle can be a PITA and I had to get me own flywheel and adapter made.
If I were in the UK I'd look at the Audi V8 which will bolt straight up to an Audi transaxle, so I am lead to believe.

Check out:

http://www.v-eight.com/

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/

[Edited on 3/12/11 by Doug68]

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

jeffw

posted on 3/12/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
A 4.2 Audi, with a cam change and throttle bodies, and open tubular exhaust is an awesome lightweight engine. 600hp

Thye dynamic changes with the extra weight behind the driver, by switching from a bec to car engine, will be felt in cornering. If set up properly, the car will have marginally better grip, until it breaks away with little notice, and usually unrecoverable. The rear bec should be a little better in behaviour, due to less weight and better distribution.

Cheers,
Nev.

Not in this world without forced induction. The RS6 C5 with the 4.2 twin turbo makes around that figure when it has been remapped/decatted/tubular manifold/head work but the gearboxes give up. The B7 RS4 4.2 FSI makes between 370 & 400 depending on how badly they have coked up and you will never see an extra 200BHP from cams/ITBs. You could supercharge it like this one

http://youtu.be/diOgJMSv7mI

Which has over 600BHP.

Spireoc

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Regards the audi lump, a couple of people are using it although it would require serious re-working of the chassis. I think there's some machining challenges with the engine to make it usable, but don't quote me on that (just remember talking to one spire builder who had been waiting for one part to be made for months to allow him to fit a 1.8T)

Regards a V8 option, you know you want to !!!

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=holeshot-hartley-v8

Just to clarify I believe it wasn't Spire Sports Cars supplying the part. The delay was with a different supplier.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spireoc

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
We would always advise going for lighness on track. This on board video at Oulton Park shows how a standard Honda CBR 1000 performs in a Spire.

http://www.spireoc.co.uk/videos_69316.html

The Audi 1.8t or 2.0T is a common fitment in a Spire for use on the road and Duratec mated to the Audi Transaxle is good option but hasn't been done before.

Andy
Spire Owners Club

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spireoc

The Audi 1.8t or 2.0T is a common fitment in a Spire for use on the road and Duratec mated to the Audi Transaxle is good option but hasn't been done before.

Duratec mated to Audi transaxle has been proven by these guys (but not in a Spire), worth a phone call if you go that route.
http://www.mambamotorsport.co.uk/components/transax.html

Volvorsport

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
what about a x/flow on a hewland !!!

thought id never say that , that would lead to several BDA engined comments which im having a hard time stopping myself from thinking about ......

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Neville Jones

posted on 3/12/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
BDA on a Hewland, though a Mk9 would be a bit on the weak side for a decent BDA. Fantastic combination and light. Sweetest sounding engine at high revs you could ever listen to. If only a BDA was the same price as a second hand Duratec...

Cheers,
Nev.

Fred W B

posted on 3/12/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not that it helps, but I was just today chatting with someone who found a running excellent condition BDA in a sleepy East Cape South African town, and bought it for the equivalent of about UKP 600 (six hundred).

and no, their are no more where that came from....

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

orton1966

posted on 3/12/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Duratec mated to Audi transaxle has been proven by these guys (but not in a Spire), worth a phone call if you go that route.
http://www.mambamotorsport.co.uk/components/transax.html

anyone know which model/serial number vag transaxle mamba use?

[Edited on 3/12/11 by orton1966]

Russell

posted on 3/12/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spireoc
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Regards the audi lump, a couple of people are using it although it would require serious re-working of the chassis. I think there's some machining challenges with the engine to make it usable, but don't quote me on that (just remember talking to one spire builder who had been waiting for one part to be made for months to allow him to fit a 1.8T)

Regards a V8 option, you know you want to !!!

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php?page=holeshot-hartley-v8

Just to clarify I believe it wasn't Spire Sports Cars supplying the part. The delay was with a different supplier.

Spire were very helpful when sorting out my particular chassis for a 1.8T. Good service! It's a fair bit different from the bike engine variant from the rear bulkhead backwards. The Audi transaxle has to sit very low in the chassis, meaning some of the lower transverse chassis sections had to be modified (including one square section replaced with lower profile oval tubing) and a removable cross-brace is needed above the transaxle. Also the engine mounts are (as you would expect) in very different places and beefed up compared to the bike engine ones.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

easytiger007

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Im using 1uzfe V8 engine from 1997 Lexus LS400 in my locost-haynes roadster car-it should be done soon. Its not the cheapest way but im sure it will be worth it.
mknight702

posted on 11/8/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RussellSpire were very helpful when sorting out my particular chassis for a 1.8T. Good service! It's a fair bit different from the bike engine variant from the rear bulkhead backwards. The Audi transaxle has to sit very low in the chassis, meaning some of the lower transverse chassis sections had to be modified (including one square section replaced with lower profile oval tubing) and a removable cross-brace is needed above the transaxle. Also the engine mounts are (as you would expect) in very different places and beefed up compared to the bike engine ones.

Can I enquire how the build is progressing, I'm toying with the idea of a 1.8t or 4.2 V8 powered Spire. I love my Westfield XI but the nagging feeling that I want to build something with more power won't go away, (and I just love the sound of a V8).

Russell

posted on 11/8/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not a lot to say. The engine and tranaxle are in, the cooling system is nearly finished, the fuel tank is made and installed, the brakes work, the clutch probably works but may need a larger M/C. I'm at that stage where there is still so much to do that I'm feeling a bit daunted by the build. I tell myself that the pleasure is in the building and it'll be no fun in the winter months when it's finished!

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.