Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pre IVA photos feedback welcome!
mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
pre IVA photos feedback welcome!

here are some more photos of the car....i actually dragged it out the garage aswell, i would say (fingers crossed) minus setting the headlights up, having the engine mapped, and getting the brake bias bar set up and then locked the car is 98% finished... haha well lets see what you all think first of all!

photo 1 - i cut a massive square hole in the tunnel top panel as i had the origional sierra gear leaver fitted. but when i changed to the quickshift lever obviously i had more metal missing than i wanted. so i have made up this cover plate and sneakily used it to hold the gear stick gaiter also -

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

photo 6

photo 7 - ive just noticed i need to reattach the trim where the lambda sensor cable goes into the engine bay

photo 8

photo 9

photo 10

photo 11

photo 12

photo 13

photo 14

photo 15

blakep82

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
looking good. think its just the photos, but doesn't look 'finished' think removing the rubbish from the foot well, and aiming the mirrors etc would sort that though.
only think i can think of is, will those indicators on the front give the right angles of visibilty on full lock? I know people have put repeaters in the wings before, but if you steer full left, can they still be seen from the correct angles to he rear?
fog lamp doesn't look completely vertical, so check that before testing
those brake pipes won't hit the shock on full locks either will they?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think wing mounted repeaters may fail.
coozer

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Canny, maybe the bottom of the shockers on the front need wrapping up?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jacko

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I don''t know but are the head lights to far in from the out side of the car ?
It would look better if you painted the plate black around the gear lever
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GRRR

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, looks like you covered everything these have issues with (the one i helped build passed IVA in Nov last yr), one thing though, in photo 6, on full lock is the wire to the side repeater/indicator adequately supported and not strained?
GRRR

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
p.s. the side repeaters should be fine, thats where ours were!
blakep82

posted on 8/2/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
p.s. the side repeaters should be fine, thats where ours were!

hmm, they may have, but i'm not 100% sure they should have tbh

Description
Description

if you turn the wheels more than 5 degrees, that then makes it impossible to see them at the required angle. in fact, maybe even less than 5 degrees, since the wing then hides the light
weird one that....

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys thanks for all the posts! haha yeah i totally agree about giving the car a clean....removing all zip tie ends and swarf and everything, i didnt get around to it as i wanted to get some pics taken of the car before the light went.

- the brake lines on the front suspension do not touch anything when on full lock, i have checked and double checked this!

- the cable that runs over the front wing mount, is supported and still has a little bit of play when the wheels go from lock to lock, the length of cable that is left unsupported is around 10 cm. however if i support the cable any further on then it will strain on full lock. if mr IVA moans then i will stick a cable tie round it or have a hole drilled in prep for a P clip and do it on the day.

the bottom of the shocks should not cause any issues, this is causing lots of confusion with people, but the IVA manual says that anything that is in the area of the wishbones (imagine you drew a straigh line from the top wishbone to the bottom wishbone) then everything inside that area is exempt from the straight edge of doom. there is even a drawing showing the exept area inside the wishbone area.

- the wing mounted repeaters i think are going to be one of those things they either like or dont like, and it it will depend on the tester, if they fail then i will move them to the front of the nose cone like most other type 7 ( the reason i have not is i completley hate now it looks!)

- the headlights need to be aimed correctly. as for there lateral positioning on the car the mounting arrangement has not caused any issues with any other zero owners/ factory build zeros passing IVA.

- the plate around the gear stick- i think you may be right on painting it black. it does stick out a bit too much, and the main reason it is there is to cover a gaping hole underneath it! so it in a necessity i will give it a spray tomorrow.

loggyboy

posted on 8/2/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be clear, i meant to say front indicators may fail as on lock as mentioned above, but side repeaters almost certainly will fail when on lock.

[Edited on 8/2/12 by loggyboy]

mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
side repeaters can be seen on Photo 8, on the side edge of the Front wing. these should be ok... after speaking to Great British sports cars (who have put quite a few zeros through IVA) they use these LEDS as side repeaters and mount them where i have mounted mine. (infact there new front wings actually have these LEDS moulded in this position when they are made)
Chippy

posted on 8/2/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't welding the track rods a No No, I seem to recall on SVA that this was not acceptable. Don't know about IVA though. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there, the track rods are not welded on,
blakep82

posted on 8/2/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcramsay
Hi there, the track rods are not welded on,

hmmm, they are! they've certainly been altered anyway, either lengthened or shortened (the track rod, not the track rod end or ball joint)
they've been sleeved and welded back up, thats why part of the rod is thicker than the rest of it

mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
They have had extensions welded on, this was done by the kit manufacturer, this rack in this form has been used on every zero going through Iva with no issues.
daniel mason

posted on 8/2/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
is this a brand new kit from GBS?

mcramsay

posted on 8/2/12 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
The kit was purchased 2 years ago. But the steering rack they sell and currently use on there cars at the moment is the same as I have fitted.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.