Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SLR
whitstella

posted on 7/4/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
SLR

hi

the wife is looking at buying a digital SLR, are there any people in the know whats the best out there for about £500 - £600. we dont know nothing about them so some advice would be great thanks.

steve

mads

posted on 7/4/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I can highly recommend the Canon 550d which you can probably get for the budget you have. Definitely worth going into a camera shop and handling different cameras to see which one is comfortable too.

Alternatively, if she wouldn't mind second hand, for that price you can probably get a really good one.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

GRRR

posted on 7/4/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a Canon fan so I'd recommend the 550D as well but completely biased as I've never used Nikon.

If she might want to develop the hobby stick with Canon and Nikon as there are loads more second hand options available. 2nd hand lenses are usually a safe bet and typically you can sell them on for what you paid!

The new compact system cameras like Nikon 1 and Olympus Pen etc etc are pretty good but lenses are REALLY expensive and the 3rd party lens makers like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina don't make cheaper lenses for them like they do with proper Sony, Canon and Nikon DSLRs

Ninehigh

posted on 7/4/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Missus has a Nikon D60, perfectly fine but with one problem (which might not just be a Nikon thing)
The camera doesn't have the shake control thing in it, and it's in the lens. This means other lenses (which pretty much have to be the "VR" lenses) are rather expensive and hard to find

Proby

posted on 7/4/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Stick to one of the big players, either Nikon or Canon. I'm a Nikon man myself, so biased towards Nikons. The cheaper entry level Nikons, such as the d3100 have no built in autofocus in the camera body, meaning to have autofocus capability, you must buy lenses with the motor built in. These lenses are dearer than the straight forward lenses, although Tamron & Sigma also make cheaper lenses that will work. I bought my d3100 last august and love it! I've spent a small fortune since on another couple of lenses (Nikon 300mm telephoto & 35mm 1.8 prime), external flash, tripod, remote shutter release, filters, bags etc etc. Bought a couple of good books, and feel I've learnt a hell of a lot in 8 months or so. Go to your local camera shop and have a play and see what you think. There is also a good blog/site by a guy called Ken Rockwell with loads of good info, give it a google and have a read.

[Edited on 7/4/12 by Proby]

franky

posted on 7/4/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Get one of the sony alpha range. More than equal to the cannon/nikkon at a lower cost, with about 40 years of used glass for them too.
bassett

posted on 7/4/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Im a big fan of the sony slr range as they use a lot of new tech in keenly priced camera bodies. Fot instance in camera HDR, panoramic sweeps, antishake in the slr body and the list goes on. Of the current range the a65 might be in budget. if not a used a580 is what i have and wouldnt swap it for anything else on the market right now. Check out warehouse express for good bundle deals which seem to come up now and again
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Alfa145

posted on 7/4/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Having just got into the SLR world myself. I got a second hand Canon 450D off ebay with 2 lenses and a few extras. Far cheaper than new would have cost me. Yes its an older model, with no video, but once I have mastered what I'm doing I'll upgrade to a more modern and better quality Canon 60D, or similar, and flog it on for close to what I paid for it..
twybrow

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
I can highly recommend the Canon 550d which you can probably get for the budget you have. Definitely worth going into a camera shop and handling different cameras to see which one is comfortable too.

Alternatively, if she wouldn't mind second hand, for that price you can probably get a really good one.

Another vote here. Amazing camera.

franky

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
Im a big fan of the sony slr range as they use a lot of new tech in keenly priced camera bodies. Fot instance in camera HDR, panoramic sweeps, antishake in the slr body and the list goes on. Of the current range the a65 might be in budget. if not a used a580 is what i have and wouldnt swap it for anything else on the market right now. Check out warehouse express for good bundle deals which seem to come up now and again
Adam

Or get a used sony a350 off ebay, see if you do like using a DSLR As above really. They make some of the best components on the market.

ashg

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
For that kind.of money you can go better than a canon 550, you should be able to stretch to the 600 which is basically the newer version. I have a 600 and simply put its a stunning camera.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Andybarbet

posted on 7/4/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my wife a Nikon D70 from hughpinder on here nearly a year ago.

Its 6 million pixels & takes some amazing shots, she takes it pretty much everywhere with her. When we got it she knew nothing about photography but Hugh sent a letter with the camera containing some great pointers & my neighbour sat with her for a few hours (He has been into photography for years) & she was off

The camera was worth every penny & she is now looking for a bigger zoom lense because we are going to South Africa this year & she is taking it with.

It seems that people are either Nikon or Canon, i couldnt tell you whats best ?? but wife will probably stick with Nikon now just because she is comfortable with the controls now.

Pick up a lense filter straight away to protect the lense, they are worth every penny.

Good luck, she wont look back

snapper

posted on 8/4/12 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sony are an also ran in the slr business, re sale value is pants.
Nikon Cannon and your safe for a very long time, sell the body upgrade to a better one keep your lenses.

Here is a Locost version of VR (vibration reduction). Shutter speed should be no longer than lens focal length.
i.e. 50 mm lense 1/50 th of a second minimum ..... 300mm lens 1/300 th second
Also... Breath in, hold breath, press shutter, GENTLY, breath out.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

franky

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Sony are an also ran in the slr business, re sale value is pants.
Nikon Cannon and your safe for a very long time, sell the body upgrade to a better one keep your lenses.

Here is a Locost version of VR (vibration reduction). Shutter speed should be no longer than lens focal length.
i.e. 50 mm lense 1/50 th of a second minimum ..... 300mm lens 1/300 th second
Also... Breath in, hold breath, press shutter, GENTLY, breath out.

Quite far from an also ran!!! They make the best CCD's around. The only thing going against them is people's perceptions as they're about 25% cheaper ans people like who use cameras for a living free up using other brands.

flak monkey

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sony. Why? The cameras are excellent, cheap to pick up and all the Minolta A mount lenses from the last 35+ years will fit and work. Buy one secondhand and you'll get a great camera, comparable to any of the equivalent Nikon/Canon range for about 2/3 the price and a massive selection of cheap lenses to play with.

I have an A200 which is a great bit of kit, don't find much time to use it these days though.

[Edited on 8/4/12 by flak monkey]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.