Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tunnel tactics!!
doughie

posted on 9/4/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tunnel tactics!!

Just about to start buildin the tunnel (will be using the 1300 x-flow and either 4 speed or type 9)

those of you with a standard book locost on the road - is there anything i should take into account?

(mods for diff/ gearbox clearance etc)

adithorp

posted on 9/4/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I saw the thread title I thought my answer would be...

Take out the ear plugs, drop it down a couple of gears and floor the loud pedal.

...but I guess thats a different sort of tunnel. Sorry can't realy help.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JeffHs

posted on 9/4/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a standard live axle book chassis with Pinto and RS bellhousing on 4 speed box. Originally I put the engine where the book says but eventually I chopped out the bottom of the tunnel at the front end and moved the engine and box about 6 inches further back. I rebuilt the tunnel by plating it with 18 gauge steel.
It gave me a near perfect 50:50 weight distribution at SVA, removed the need for a gear lever extension and made routing the steering column past the alternator a doddle - I manged to use the original big Pinto alternator.
Only disdavantages I can see is a slightly compromised footwell but my size 9s fit ok; I had to use an expensive angle drive for the speedo (electronics would be simpler) and it's a real pain to fit a clutch cable after the gearbox is installed, but doable.

doughie

posted on 12/4/12 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies

Cheers JeffHs - have opted to widen the drivers side a little (20mm) and see where the engine/ gearbox will sit...

Adithorpe - hope to be asking about that some time, but it won't be soon...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.