Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Member - New Project
beardydave

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
New Member - New Project

Hi everyone,

I'm David, and i'm just starting out on a Haynes Roadster project, my first kit car project.

The basis for this is for a Saab powered car, either 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder turbocharged, mated to a modified BMW gearbox.

At the moment i have the SaaBMW gearbox, BMW diff, paddle clutch and a collection of prop-shafts and drive shafts all from a couple of E36 cars, and the book.

The plan is to model as much as I can in a 3D modelling program i have access to through work to enable me to get as many of the parts made out as I can, as my sheet metal skills are near non-existant. I haven't decided whether to trust my own welding or to get that done outside.

The advantage of the 3D modelling is that it will let me change the design quickly and easily to try different things before starting making things in metal, and to change the designs slightly, such as adjustable toe on the rear suspension (to allow for my poor practical skills).

The final aim is for a slightly mental b-road and track day car, with no frills whatsoever. Apart from cruise control which the Saab ECU does built in with just a couple of extra wires and switches. And ABS and TCS as I don't trust my driving without them in something so light and potentially powerful.

I've joined to see if there are any pointers or things to watch out for with the Haynes build, and also to see if anybody has done any of the 3D modelling already which I can "borrow" or trade other models for to save a little bit of time.

Thus far i've got the Haynes chassis and fabricated suspension components modelled, along with the rough dimension blocks of the Saab B234 engine and my custom gearbox. I'll have the E36 328 differential modelled soon too.

NigeEss

posted on 6/5/12 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum
It might be worth you looking/contacting GKN as thier Legend kit id BMW based.
Nige

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

GRRR

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome!

Good luck with the project - one thing though, are you sure you want to go down the BMW gearbox route? The Vauxhall Omega one bolts straight onto the Saab engine.

beardydave

posted on 7/5/12 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Nige, Did you mean GKD?

I've had a look at their website, but it's not strictly a BMW based car i'm building, as i'm only using the drive train from an E36. I'm going to use a Sierra for the rest for simplicity on my first build.

GRRR,

The omega box does bolt straight up, but it's also only capable of 280Nm of torque (from the rare manual R28 box). The Saab 2.0 puts out more than that as standard, before i've even started tuning it. The BMW gearbox however is reputed to be indestructable, and i've got one that's got a Saab bellhousing welded on already.

[Edited on 7/5/2012 by beardydave]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.