Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Equinox Mirage build your own LMP sports racing car
equinoxms

posted on 31/7/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

A simple yes or no answer would be appropriate.

Al

No.

You are correct the picture that I use as my avatar is the Ray that Damien used to own.
Equinox Products developed the Ray BR09sc in association with Ray Sports Car Developments Ltd.

I find it very unprofessional that a member of the commitee who is privy to information feels it appropriate to share it on a public forum with out our permission.

Equinox has released this press release early to obtain your constructive feedback, so I would appreciate it if you could re visit your earlier posts and be more constructive.

With your help we hope this will become a project to interest the home build community as well as the track community.

www.equinoxproducts.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 31/7/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well I love the LMP style car and will certainly be looking heavily into that style of car over any other if I get the chance to ever build new. At the moment though, I am just learning how to reasemble the things I have dismantled!!

Good luck with the project. Its good to see that new products \ companies and ideas are flowing in this industry. It will keep the competition high and products fresh.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

equinoxms

posted on 31/7/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Bi22le.

Maybe if you get the chance one day you can drop in and see us, and check us and the project out.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 31/7/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well I hope it does take off. However if you search all or either Darren George / equinox mirage in google it'll bring this thread up, with all the crap that surrounds his other 'business' dealings and GTS. That'll do you no favours at all and will cost you sales from the off.

I hope for the sake of your project he's not part of it.

equinoxms

posted on 31/7/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Precisely!

big_wasa

posted on 31/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am interested and looking forward to updates

[Edited on 31/7/12 by big_wasa]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I dropped in to see Dave (Equinox) today about the progress of my bonnet for my Haynes Roadster tonight.

Was chatting to him about this thread and basically he'd like it if i said: Dave is very independent and whilst welcomes anyones opinion certainly wouldn't want or need any one elses external involvement.

You just need to check out the feedback on his haynes bodywork turn around time and customer service and that in itself should show there's clearly not any GTS influence lol.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

SCAR

posted on 31/7/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
A nice idea as a variation on the locost theme but the claimed £6500 build cost is a bit of a worry. How much does it cost to build a competative locost (not to buy, to build)? I've done several costings on self build performance cars and cant see £6500 being realistic, hope I'm wrong, if so this could be our next project. Will watch with interest
ceebmoj

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I feel that this thread is a good example of why the apple method of product launch works so well. Don't tell people untill you can tell people every thing.
Mr C

posted on 1/8/12 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
I feel that this thread is a good example of why the apple method of product launch works so well. Don't tell people untill you can tell people every thing.

...and are able to deliver the whole product when promised.

Its good to hear that this is an independent venture, as I'm totally hacked off with companies that don't give a sh!t, definitely very interested for my next projec, depends on engine choice for me.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

D Beddows

posted on 1/8/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Equinox has released this press release early to obtain your constructive feedback, so I would appreciate it if you could re visit your earlier posts and be more constructive.

so basically - if any of us aren't going to say what a wonderful idea it is/I'll definitely buy one/thank you for being so wonderful we can p*ss off??....that seems to be what you're saying or at least how it comes across!!

No axe to grind whatsoever, lovely looking car and I do genuinely wish you all the best with it but imho you've not really done yourself any favours with this thread

coyoteboy

posted on 1/8/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
There's a difference between feedback and constructive feedback. One is "that's ugly and useless" and the other is "I don't like that nose is a bit blunt and the engine options are limited". I presume they'd be OK with the latter or this is just a spam thread to sell wares.

To be fair, to me 6.5K for a race-ready car isn't much, depending on spec. You can buy dampers that are half that price without trying.

[Edited on 1/8/12 by coyoteboy]

gallons perminute

posted on 1/8/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Very interested in this project because I have been there and done it. Back in 1995 I designed a series of cars that I felt could be the basis for many things. First off I came up with a road car that I felt would be the match for anything out there. This was followed by a hillclimb/sprint version and then we had the race version. The minimilist bodywork of the road car progressed to the point where we had a full bodied LMP type car. I did not put it into production because of the hassle of running the company that would make the cars. Other issues, notably liability insurance, was also a major problem and I felt that it was not worth taking the risk (too much to lose).

In 2006 I was involved in the UK FF championship and crossed paths with the Sports 2000 guys on a few occasions. This looked like a good formula that was coming back into vogue and I used one of the chassis I had lying about as the basis of a Pinto powered Sports 2000. We spend very little, under £5k to get on track. I enjoyed the experience and decided to produce a better car for later years. For 2010 I managed to find the time to run the new car in all rounds of the championship. It was good fun but running on a shoe string and with myself behind the wheel (56 and 15.7st ) things were compromised. Despite limited testing we still finished 12th O/a and third in class. We wanted to do more but without warning and with no rules being breached the car was outlawed by the organisers as having " an unfair aerodynamic advantage". Those in charge changed the bodywork rules after 35 years which made the car illegal and rather spoiled our plans.

S 2000 is an excellent formula. The cars are fast bearing in mind the limited power they have 135bhp Pinto, 205bhp + Duratec. Lap times are very quick and they achieve this by being light and having good aerodynamics. Many manufacturers have built cars for the formula and it always interests me where the failed projects/redundant bodywork moulds end up. The bodywork from the Robinson S2000 ended up being the first Radical. The Lola B07 car became the basis of the Caterham SP300 and now the Ray BR09 bodywork appearing here.

You have asked for imput so here we go.

Make sure you are properly covered by insurance. Selling plans/parts/kits might reduce your liability but I in this day and age there are people out there chasing compensation for the silliest of reasons.

Make sure you have a consistant parts supply that will last for years. We once did an Audi 5cyl project that was a cracking car but parts for the engines were not cheap and difficult to source.

Understand the market place. The Locost car has spawned plenty of other vehicles but ask anyone what is the best and to a man I think most would opt for an original Lotus 7.

Is LMP the way to go? I think that style has had its day. Why not go for something that is different.

Think things through. As you have already found out folk want everything yesterday. Waiting lists are no use in these days. Even the big boys let nothing out the bag until they are ready to sell.

Finally I would suggest doing proper market research. Seek legal advice to keep you on the right side of the law on legislation and say nothing till everything is in place.

Good luck.

maccmike

posted on 1/8/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
keep us updated..
tadltd

posted on 13/8/12 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Been there, done that...

...got the t-shirt, spent a LOT of money, went bust, etc, etc...

What you see as cynicism from the forum on here is something our company had to face too, but it's not cynicism. A lot of the people on here and other forums are very skilled and experienced and their comments are valid. You'd be mistaken to see them as "amateurs" who don't know what they're talking about...

You'd better get used to the comments, too - when we started we had to take some very harsh criticism and face up to some harsh truths and facts. As we found out (too late) actions speak louder than words. Let your car do the talking on the track and only when it's ready should you consider telling the world that it's available to buy.

For me the experience of doing it was a double edged sword. On the one side it was amazing to have a blank sheet of paper to start from, but the sharper edge was the reality of trying to start a business, with all the financial, professional, and personal implications of doing that and at a time when the track-day market was burgeoning and people had money to spend on "toys".

Given the overheads you will face, your pricing seems ambitious, to say the least. You will need to have good legal counsel to ensure you do not fall foul of legislation for road use (it's YOUR design after all - don't make the mistake of washing your hands of responsibility by allowing people to buy plans and build cars themselves). You will also need very good insurance - as others have already pointed out.

If this is your "get rich plan", I'd suggest considering other plans...

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

hobbsy

posted on 14/8/12 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
Can't argue with that last post, shame your business didn't go well Steve.

In my (very limited) experience there seem to be so many ways to spend a lot of money and not succeed in the kit car industry and very few ways in which to be profitable.

Even those that appear to do well probably don't do that well.

Big start up costs and investments of time but always quite a small market.

But if people didn't bother we wouldn't have so much to choose from.

I like the LMP style cars so am keen to see how this progresses.

angliamotorsport

posted on 5/9/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Nice looking car and whilst it may not appeal to everyone it should excite quite a few.

I'm wondering how a track version can be built for 6.5K when your website is stating
the full body package will cost you 3.9K and if you add the vat that's a whopping 4.68K.

That only leaves 1820 pound to build the chassis and buy the other parts. I can't even see a roller being built for that amount unless the bodywork cost is reduced.

I am sure there will be lots of guys thinking if this can be built for 6.5 K then I'm in, me included, but not wanting to be unfair, I just can't see it being possible.

However if there is some magic formula I am willing to be convinced.

Good luck with the project

equinoxms

posted on 3/11/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The chassis for the new Mirage is starting to go together you can follow this on our facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts

[img][/img]

Wheels244

posted on 3/11/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Can you do a full set of Locost panels including side panels ?
I can't find anyone who can supply the full set.

Mr C

posted on 3/11/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Coming along nicely. Just a quick belated thank you to Dave for taking the time to talk to me and show me some products when I popped in to equinox the other day. Very reassuring in terms of quality of products and the approach and attitude of Dave and the company The quality and finish of the body panels is second to none, no flashing, swirls, or imperfections of any sort, absolutely top notch. I'll be following closely and hope to do some business next year.

All the best with the project

Mike

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

designer

posted on 3/11/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I trust you have a lot more upright members to add, there are a lot of tubes meeting without any triangular support.
scootz

posted on 3/11/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I trust you have a lot more upright members to add, there are a lot of tubes meeting without any triangular support.

And the winner of todays rhetorical question award is....

It's Evolution Baby!

Confused but excited.

posted on 3/11/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

"The chassis for the new Mirage is starting to go together " I think the key word here is 'starting'.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/11/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Really??????

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mr C

posted on 3/11/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Some people just can't help themselves can they...

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.