Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: J15 and aero...
Jenko

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
J15 and aero...

What are peoples thoughts on the floor panel on the Sylva J15?....As per my blog, why not have it going to the very front of the chassis and also beyond the rear bulkhead and itto the engine bay?????....Only reason I could see was that the chassis and panel would collect stones and mud etc....Apart from that, it would keep the car generally cleaner, and improve aero.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

edsco

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
YES! If you are looking for areo and therefore down force, keep the bottom of the vehicle as smooth as possible. I.e panel from the front right the way to the rear most point of the car and incorporate a diffuser. When doing this though, make sure you have a detachable access panel that you are able to service the engine i.e. filters oil change etc. Having it all enclosed....yeah sure you collect stones etc but you gain in performance! (assuming you angle your diffuser correctly).

edsco

Jenko

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
For the rear, I was thinking that just covering the chassis just behind the rear bulkhead would really help stop dirt etc being thrown up at the engine, although the very bottom of the engine would still remain uncovered. Just can't think why this is not part of the standard build as Sylva provide more than enough alloy sheet.

edsco

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well i guess its like any kit car build and the application you intend using it for. Its all open to interpretation at the end of the day. If the design of the chassis and subsequently the location of the engine prevents panelling all the back because the engine pokes out the bottom or something to that nature, i guess you are limited to what the design will allow.

Its preference at the end of the day and what you are happy with. RGB racer T Hoverd has a J15 it might be worth chatting to him.....through the course of racing though his car has been modified somewhat over the years. Should be contacble through the RGB forum.

edsco

monkeyarms

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
At the rear the sigma engines hang below the chassis line, particularly the gear change linkage. If you have a different engine/gearbox then you need to check that.

When building the engine cooling system, access from below was handy at both ends of the car.

If you panel the rear of the car then the amount of air flowing into the engine bay will be reduced and could affect the temps as the air ducts each side are small'ish.

Re visit the idea of removable panels futher on in the build I would say. Maybe even post IVA

Just looked at your blog - very nice

[Edited on 6/12/12 by monkeyarms]

Jenko

posted on 6/12/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyarms
At the rear the sigma engines hang below the chassis line, particularly the gear change linkage. If you have a different engine/gearbox then you need to check that.

When building the engine cooling system, access from below was handy at both ends of the car.

If you panel the rear of the car then the amount of air flowing into the engine bay will be reduced and could affect the temps as the air ducts each side are small'ish.

Re visit the idea of removable panels futher on in the build I would say. Maybe even post IVA

Just looked at your blog - very nice

[Edited on 6/12/12 by monkeyarms]

I'm using the puma engine, but not suggesting the entire rear is covered...I was thinking the area just behind the rear bulkhead upto the first wishbone bracket.....Agree though...maybe a post IVA actavity.

adithorp

posted on 6/12/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need to take into account where the hot radiator air is going to escape if you panel the front. On my Fury that goes down the tunnel and out between the diffuser/rear tub and a little out vents in the side of the bonnet, down the exhaust side pod and some through the wheel arches. Will there be enough flow through the (smaller) J15 tunnel?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Jenko

posted on 6/12/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
You'll need to take into account where the hot radiator air is going to escape if you panel the front. On my Fury that goes down the tunnel and out between the diffuser/rear tub and a little out vents in the side of the bonnet, down the exhaust side pod and some through the wheel arches. Will there be enough flow through the (smaller) J15 tunnel?

Very good point...Certainly on the front, the cut out is directly under the rad....maybe this is one of the reasons for it being open.

monkeyarms

posted on 6/12/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I think it will just be another flat surface for grit and dirt to build up on. For example, behind the front wheels there is a part of the sill that gets lots of road grit build up, just from drining up and down my road 2 or 3 times.

I will need to look at closing the wheels in at some point.

nickm

posted on 6/12/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I thought the same but decided to wait till after IVA then think about it seriously, but this is also the numpty who cut the normal floor flush to the chassis rails with no overhang !!!!

Nick M

adithorp

posted on 6/12/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
You probably know this but... If thats the front wheel, that tyre is rotating the wrong way; Needs to be on the other side.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

monkeyarms

posted on 7/12/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
You probably know this but... If thats the front wheel, that tyre is rotating the wrong way; Needs to be on the other side.

They were crappy build wheels

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.