Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A New Project, GT6 aluminium body
ceebmoj

posted on 20/4/13 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
looks lovely. are you going to leave the rain gutter / seam on your body?
John Bonnett

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
looks lovely. are you going to leave the rain gutter / seam on your body?

Thank you very much. I'm keeping the rain gutter because the two part gutter is the means of holding the roof on. All the other seams will disappear.

I'm going to re-model the rear end and make it more rounded and tapering. The final design depends on which rear lights I can find which fill the criteria. These are; Provide good illumination, fit on a curved panel, inexpensive and easy to source. The curvature of the rear wings will be tailored to the light unit. But which light?

John Bonnett

posted on 27/4/13 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more progress. I've made the rear quarter light aperture and the gutter, side panel and the aperture are now all welded up. Attached are a few pictures bringing everything up to date. Let's hope the other side goes as well as this one!

rdodger

posted on 27/4/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Stunning work!

Can I ask a stupid question?

Since you are using the steel body as a buck won't it end up a few mm bigger than the original car? Therefore standard glass etc may not fit?

John Bonnett

posted on 27/4/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Stunning work!

Can I ask a stupid question?

Since you are using the steel body as a buck won't it end up a few mm bigger than the original car? Therefore standard glass etc may not fit?

Not a stupid question. You are quite right but the difference is only the thickness of the aluminium (1.5mm) so overall not a problem. However, the tailgate aperture will be 3mm undersize which will be okay and still allow clearance for the standard tailgate. But, the rear quarter lights will not allow the same approach. I had to remove the steel frame and replace it with the one I made in aluminium identical in size to the steel one so the opening window should fit. I say should because I haven't tried it yet.

rdodger

posted on 27/4/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ah good. I will tell the Mrs I'm not as stupid as I look!
TheGecko

posted on 28/4/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
John,
Hadn't noticed the updates typo this thread for a little while. Looking very good. Is that a timber hammerform that was used to make the quarter window aperture?

John Bonnett

posted on 28/4/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
John,
Hadn't noticed the updates typo this thread for a little while. Looking very good. Is that a timber hammerform that was used to make the quarter window aperture?

No it's just a template Dominic. I started with a flat strip of aluminium, folded a 12mm flange to a right angle and using the shrinker/stretcher, formed the profile. I then broke a line for the return using the jenny, annealed in the area of the fold and again with the jenny, tipped the flange to 90 degrees.

John Bonnett

posted on 3/5/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing spectacular to report but progress has been made. The passenger side quarter light panel is now formed together with the quarter light aperture. Today, the associated gutter was made. In order to fit the window aperture it is necessary first to remove the steel one because they are the same size as each other. This entails removing the spot welds; a job I'm not yet comfortable with. I've caused a fair bit of damage mostly to myself

John Bonnett

posted on 12/5/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
A couple more pictures to bring everything up to date. Apart from welding the panel surrounding the tailgate aperture to the main roof this part of the body is pretty much there.

[Edited on 12/5/13 by John Bonnett]

[Edited on 12/5/13 by John Bonnett]

rdodger

posted on 12/5/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking FANTASTIC!
John Bonnett

posted on 12/5/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looking FANTASTIC!

That's really kind of you; thank you.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/5/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looking FANTASTIC!

It certainly is, I have to admire the dedication and enthusiasm going into this project.

blowden86

posted on 12/5/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Happy to see this pop up on here, the GT6 Mk3 is my dream classic to own/re-build one day. Very much looking forward to seeing the finished results!

My MK Indy R GSXR 1000 Build Diary: http://www.suma-uk.com/indy/

John Bonnett

posted on 14/5/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
With the roof just about done, we've reached the stage where I'm going to do my own bit of styling. The square tail and the external seams are going to disappear along with the pronounced haunch of the rear wing just aft of the B post. I've just sourced a complete bodyshell, (well a complete GT6 actually although in pieces) onto which I can hang the doors to see how the design will "Flow"

The picture shows the rear of a MK3 GT6 (not mine) and the taper of the cabin area flowing into a fairly flat deck which meets the flange of the rear wing. I'm going to try mimic this curve in the rear wings. The panel immediately below the tailgate will continue to slope down rather than becoming horizontal after the crease; something along the lines of an E Type.

So, a bit of thought and work to make a buck before any more panel work but I'll update as more progress is made.

[Edited on 14/5/13 by John Bonnett]

John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Although it has been several months since updating, work has never stopped and the project is progressing well. Main reason for not posting is my inability to insert full size pictures. But until somebody lets me into the secret this is the best I can do.
Description
Description

With the outer skin removed the skeleton stiffening structure was shot blasted and primed. This revealed a lot more corrosion than expected with the knock-on effect of increasing the cost and time and blowing the budget out of the water. But, undeterred, we ploughed on.

I mentioned earlier that I'm taking a bit of licence with the design of the GT6 and making the rear end a bit more tapering and curvaceous.

Rear wing buck
Description
Description

I have recently acquired a pneumatic planishing hammer which has turned out to be one of the best buys I have ever made. It is very controllable and great for raising lows and shaping parts that are too small to wheel. Another benefit is that the air tool can be demounted and used on its own for flow forming. I made the number plate panel using it.
Description
Description

After a lot of thought I decided on round rear lights comprising inners and outer rings which can be LED. These are from the "Mix'n'Match range from Stafford. In order to mount them on my panel I rolled some cylinders and cut end plates. These were TIG welded together.
Description
Description

Description
Description

I've now wheeled up quite a few panels but not yet ready to weld together.
Description
Description

The rear wings are bolt on and here is the arrangement showing the captive screws
Description
Description

The shaped angle is ready to be welded to the wing panel.
Description
Description

Description
Description

More to follow

[Edited on 28/9/13 by John Bonnett]

imp paul

posted on 28/9/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Wow John this is awesome you have so much skill it unreal lol I wish I had that kind of skill top job John it looks mint
John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
Wow John this is awesome you have so much skill it unreal lol I wish I had that kind of skill top job John it looks mint

That's very kind of you Paul, thank you. I have no drawings to work to, I'm just carrying an image of what I want in my head.

Trev D is my friend and mentor and he is always ready to offer a telephone help line whenever needed. After a few words with him, it's like magic and all of a sudden the job goes right.

I'm absolutely delighted with the way the project is progressing and enjoying every minute of it.

rdodger

posted on 28/9/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome!

It's really starting to come together. The back end looks fantastic! Well done!

Fred W B

posted on 28/9/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thats looking fantastic, excellent work!

To insert full size pics what I do is:

Once the picure in is your archive, click into it to open it.
Right click to see the properties of the picture and save the properties to the clipboard
Go back to your post and click the "add image" yellow icon.
Paste the properties into the box that opens and enter

It helps to have the website open twice in 2 windows so youc can jump between your archive and the post you are working in.

Thier probabably is an easier way but that works for me

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/9/13 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

imp paul

posted on 28/9/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
it sounds like your doing the same as me john, its all in my head and i just keep going ,and hope it turns out good mate but thats very cool love it mate
John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Thats looking fantastic, excellent work!

To insert full size pics what I do is:

Once the picure in is your archive, click into it to open it.
Right click to see the properties of the picture and save the properties to the clipboard
Go back to your post and click the "add image" yellow icon.
Paste the properties into the box that opens and enter

It helps to have the website open twice in 2 windows so youc can jump between your archive and the post you are working in.

Thier probabably is an easier way but that works for me

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/9/13 by Fred W B]

Thank you very much for that Fred. I'll give it a go and very nice to hear from you.

regards

John

John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just to prove to myself that I can now attach a full size picture here we go.

I just love the bonnet on this car and will do my best to make something along the same lines for the project. I particularly like the feature near the windscreen that allows hot air to escape from the engine compartment and to blow onto the windscreen.

PhillipM

posted on 28/9/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
So, when are you making me a bodyshell for mine?

John Bonnett

posted on 28/9/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
So, when are you making me a bodyshell for mine?

If you really want one I'm sure my friend Mark would be pleased to make whatever you'd like

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.