Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash J15
nickm

posted on 16/2/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dash J15

Hi Fellas
Any one had experience of the plays kool dashboard ? (sick of ali panels and bending and vinyl and glue) i reckon the wide one may be a good fit ?

Thanks

Nick M

Jenko

posted on 18/2/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
By pure chance, I've just purchased one of thesefrom a local westfield owner...It was brand new and a good price so I though I would grab it and see how I could get it to fit.

So, the width from the chassis side to chassis side on the J15 is 95cm, the wide dash from playskool is 98cm....but, I think it can be trimmed on the bottom and the curved bit should sit in the chassis quite nicely.

My plan is to fit a straight length of aluminium from the bottom of the chassis crossbar, then attatch the dash via some simple nuts and bolts....As soon as I get it done I'll grab a few pics.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul AS

posted on 18/2/13 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sneeky feeling, the prisoner has used this exact type of dashboard for his J15, even if it was from another supplier.
nickm

posted on 18/2/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
I looked at it because somebody mentioned it, thought it was the "the prisoner" but couldnt find the post.
I reckon the wide should fit as well with a few mods with the last vertical inch being the main problem.
Might try the carbon effect it may not look right but if it doesnt it will be glue and viny lagain !

Bought a powerfile the other day it is gonna save me hours havent had it long enough to comment on durability but you could really mess up your GRP if your not careful ! goes thru it like butter.

Ta

Nick M

Jenko

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Just FYI...I managed to do a bit of work last night....ended up cutting about 2 inches of the vertical to get it to sit in the chassis.

I'm now realising what a bloody pain the fiesta column ignition barrel and key are...plus the position of the handbrake!.

I will try and update blg with some pics of the next couple of days.

monkeyarms

posted on 19/2/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
I'm now realising what a bloody pain the fiesta column ignition barrel and key are..

I relocated my ignition to the side switch panel due to the dash/column/barrel postions. It caused me some headaches and reading of the IVA to come to a soloution.

Paul AS

posted on 19/2/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I dropped the angle of the handbrake to do away with the pulley and avoid trapping my thumb on the dash. Works great.

Paul

theprisioner

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used the Playskool dash, had to modify the handbrake fairly extensively, pleased with the result.
theprisioner

posted on 19/2/13 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://sylvabuild.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/handbrake.html
Jenko

posted on 21/2/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
FYI.....if you check out my blog, I managed to get some pics of the dash loaded.

Paul AS

posted on 21/2/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does that cut out really fit over a standard fiesta column with some "slack"? My "slot" goes a lot higher than that. Also worth remembering that you will need to be able to remove the dash with the column and bodywork in place, so it will need to be able to drop down to avoid the lip on the bodywork.

Steering wheels are easy to remove, the rest is a lot more difficult.

This is not much of an issue with the narrow dash in Jeremys car, but is a lot more difficult when you extand the dash to full car width. The diagonal bracing of the chassis gets in the way when you try to remove the dash with the body on.

Would be a shame to have an elecrtical or instrument issue behind the dash and not be able to get to it, without drilling and cutting.

Just a thought, while theres still chance to check.

Paul

Jenko

posted on 21/2/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
The hole for final resting place of the steering wheel is not finished, I need to cut the slot you see in the pics out to fit over the steering lock, etc. You are correct, the available space will be less than you see here, but still enough for a Koso DB01plus.

The dash simply unbolts from the alloy panel fitted to the chassis cross member (via rivnuts), so the entire dash will be easily removable, it would pull forward then up if required. That said, I will only be having the small digital dash on the dash, the rest of the instruments / buttons etc will be in the side pod. In addition, the bodywork has been placed with a view to easy removal (i.e bolted to the sills, plus a bracket in the centre of the main tub).

Jenko

posted on 7/3/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just FYI, the dash arrived the other day, so I've done a trial fit....Just put a couple of pics on the blog.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.