Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help on buying decision on tiger rush or Leugo?
J-Tomo

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Help on buying decision on tiger rush or Leugo?

Hi, seeking advice on what ready built kit car to buy. My budget is approx 6-7k but may go to 10k if the car was nearly new. Seen a couple of 2009/2010 tigers with only 1000 miles, professionally built by Chester sports cars and with 2l zetec engines. Also seen a dax rush running a 2l efi DOHC engine again 2009 with 850 miles only! Finally seen a brand new Luego velocity xt 2013 registered on flee bay, but over budget.

Guess I am after something that will hold value to some extent but for a bit of fun! Just sold a 1976 campervan to fund my new project!

Help...advise welcomed.

[Edited on 30/3/13 by J-Tomo]

Andybarbet

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Im building a Luego velocity & they seem to have always had a good name, quality of my chassis etc is good in my view.

I think the tigers have the complete sierra swing arms on the rear so are heavier - the luego & most others have double wishbones.

If its the metallic grey Luego on ebay it looks really nice :-)

Might be worth looking at Mk's & MNR's if they are in budget too, i have seen some really nicely built mk's & am yet to see a badly built mnr. Dax are also lovely quality so i would be inclined to look at what comes up in budget rather than picking a make.
Hope this info is of some use,

Good luck :-)

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

theduck

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Buy the best car in budget.
mookaloid

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would avoid the Rush because of the engine which spoils an otherwise potentially good car.

Never really like the look of the Tiger my self

The luego seems nicely proportioned and with the right engine could be the pick of that bunch.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

TimC

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
This is nice at the top-end of your budget:
Westy on PH

J-Tomo

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sonic 7

Thanks all. What about the sonic 7?
big_wasa

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
The rush doesnt have the best engine of the three but it would be my choice. But if you want a 7 that holds value its got to be a westfield / caterham.
TimC

posted on 30/3/13 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Quite like this too:
Sporty Cat

gavin174

posted on 30/3/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Eddie99 is selling a 61 plate GTS Panther..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is a definite pecking order of manufacturers but the builder has a huge influence on the quality of the final car.

Tiger have built so many models is difficult to judge. Tiger tend to be at the lower initial cost end of the market, but they are much superior to some .
I would avoid anything with Sierra rear semi-trailing arms.

Dax are well known for quality but they are a bit branched off from the main stream "Sevenish" designs, this is probably because they were among the first Seven style kits and were trying to avoid litigation from Caterham. I would agree the Dax in question has a less desirable engine but unless you intend hammering it round the track it should be fine, in any case in a kit car an engine is for Christmas not for life.

Your very generous budget should cover a wide selection of good cars do an ebay search on kit cars and ignore the Robin Hood, Dutton and Spartan stuff, just make 100% sure what ever you buy is properly registered.

[Edited on 31/3/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

J-Tomo

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Guess the choicea are down to.......

05 Westfield 1.8 Zetec with all new parts when built, including engine approx 8.8k cost

or

62 Tiger Avon 2.0 Zetec all new approx 9.5k (Incl new Windscreen) but reconditioned Engine, Slip Diff and Webber throttle bodies.

or

57 Tiger R6 2.0 Zetec pprox 8.5k

All have under 5000 miles of in the case of the 62 plate, 40 miles!

Which one, considering re-sale price after 3 years!?

Quick response preferred......thanks guys and gals

Jon

daniel mason

posted on 2/4/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
westfield will hold its value better than the others, but thats not saying its the best car!
there will be may kits avasilable to you in that price range including caterhams, which would be my choice if you can afford one! youll pick up a de dion caterham s3 for under £10k if you wait

J-Tomo

posted on 2/4/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Too Late...

Done a deal on this 05 Westfield for £9k - Seems like a lovely car, all supplied as new in 2005, including engine and gearbox, etc.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-sei-w-1800cc-zetec-05-reg--all-new-parts/1186816

Andybarbet

posted on 2/4/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a perfect car.

That is one seriously neat engine bay, ive saved the picture for when i fit out mine

Enjoy it !

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.