Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA fail :-(
Paul AS

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
IVA fail :-(

Just got back from chadderton IVA test on my J15 and failed. But as far as fail lists go, I reckon this is a pretty good one!

Only one item!! Handbrake efficiency was 11% when the minimum requirement is 18%.

I don't know how hard he pulled the handbrake lever cos the sent me to the "coffee" room for that bit of the test. No idea why.

So I've driven all the way back pulling the handbrake on and off for nearly 20 miles to try and get the pads to bed in.

I'll have a look at the lever to see if I can improve the pivot point and whip the cables off and give em a good greasing etc.

All in all - a very happy boy!!

40inches

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hell! He was a bit hard! He could have let you drive around the centre with the hand brake on, couldn't he?

jimhammer

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that was well mean, could have at least given you the chance to improve it.
puma931

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can you drive the car without an IVA?

quote:
Originally posted by Paul AS
So I've driven all the way back pulling the handbrake on and off for nearly 20 miles to try and get the pads to bed in.

Paul AS

posted on 16/4/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sure can. You can drive to and from pre-booked IVA appointments and to and from garages etc. to pre-booked appointments for work to be done to fix the specific fail items. It says it at the bottom of the IVA appointment letter.
puma931

posted on 16/4/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cool I did not know that.

quote:
Sure can. You can drive to and from pre-booked IVA appointments and to and from garages etc. to pre-booked appointments for work to be done to fix the specific fail items. It says it at the bottom of the IVA appointment letter.

nick205

posted on 16/4/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
That's a very picky fail indeed, but easily sorted for a quick retest. You must be very pleased overall

Smashing looking car too BTW!

[Edited on 16/4/13 by nick205]

britishtrident

posted on 16/4/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
11% handbrake efficiency is pretty poor what rear callipers are you using ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/4/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be more concerned why he 'sent you away' for that part of the test??

Sounds a little iffy to me Maybe he just wanted to find something to fail on?

Or maybe I'm just jaundiced?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Jenko

posted on 16/4/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear...what a shame...and just one point.....
Are you using the sierra Calipers of the VW ones?....I'm just in the process of getting my VW ones in on my J15 build.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

SALAD

posted on 16/4/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Daddylonglegs and that was my first thought.....but well done none the less....good fail!
Peteff

posted on 16/4/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
When I took my car to Derby years ago a Westfield was being tested in the next slot and his handbrake was inefficient. It was a brand new disc set up and the tester was practically stood up in the car trying to pull it on with both hands. He sent the bloke off to drive round the centre with the brake on for 5 minutes while he had a coffee and it just made it through when it was tested again. I don't think it's part of their brief to find finicky fails.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nickm

posted on 16/4/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well done
Nearly there, just as the weather improves as well, looking forward to my test even if i fail as the drive is 95 miles one way over the Lincolnshire wolds !

Nick M

deezee

posted on 16/4/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I also got sent for a coffee when they did the brake / speedo / noise / self centering testing. Two testers did it all, with one driving and one on equipment. This was at chadderton. I found the tester (dave?) to be fantasticly helpful. Allowed me to fix a few issues on the day.

deeceee09

posted on 16/4/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Another J15 virtually on the road, well done. Have you got the cable attached to the front or rear position on the handbrake lever? If on the rear, try it on the front. I had Sierra calipers and M1144 pads but I had done a shake-down track day before IVA and passed no problem.

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

Paul AS

posted on 16/4/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

thanks for all the positive comments.

I am really dead chuffed to only have this one, and I think I've worked it out. I am running the standard Sierra callipers with ordinary road pads.

deecee09 - are your pads slightly offset ie, is it obvious they are going to lip the disc in the fullness of time. mine do by about 5-6mm, with the corresponding few mm of pad hanging in fresh air near the hub. JP says this is normal!!

I repositioned the handbrake lever to do away with the pulley so in theory, it should be more efficient.

As pointed out, the discs and pads are brand new and most definitely not bedded in yet, or rather they weren't at the time.

To be fair the tester, Gary Wild, he did say that the drivers side was a lot worse than the passenger side, so that was my first port of call.

Up on the axle stands, handbrake on, I could only just move the passenger side wheel a tiny bit by hand. The drivers side was relatively easy!! Adjustment way off between the two wheels. Easy to spot after the fact!!

Took all the offending covers off. Plenty of lithium grease on every moving part, WD40 down both ends of the handbrake cable dozens of times, more grease over the cable entry and exit points. Work in with handbrake lever until arm goes numb!!

Whip the callipers off and regrease and realign the sliding calliper "pins". Find a knackered rubber seal on a re-conditioned calliper. Again, easy to notice after the fact. Replace when spares turn up.

In the meantime, reassemble the whole lot and apply the handbrake.

Can't move either wheel with my hands at all. As it happens, the only way to rotate either wheel now is using one of the wheel nuts with a three foot breaker bar, and even then its not easy.

That should be that! Roll on Monday - then prepare to do battle with the DVLA!!

theprisioner

posted on 16/4/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Took mine to the local garage to do a MoT type testing prior to the IVA. Guess what, the hand brake efficiency was the same as yours. Learned advice from John the tester, who I have known for several years, was to drive to the iva stabbing the brakes every time I got over 30Mph and take the long way to the IVA station.

P.S. My rears are Passat/RD OEM's

Paul AS

posted on 16/4/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bizarrely and somewhat suspiciously, it passed MOT 4 weeks ago!?!? I know the guy who did the test, but I most certainly didn't want or ask for any favours.

If this had shown up then (did they check it??) I would have a VOSA certificate by now.

deeceee09

posted on 16/4/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Paul I have some pics but am having trouble uploading them. If you send me a U2U with your email I'll send them. I had to modify the uprights, calipers, caliper bracket and outer pad to get them to fit properly. Pity JP could not have designed his fabricated calipers to suit without mods.
David
PS I suspect standard pads are fairly hard so will need more bedding in?

[Edited on 16/4/13 by deeceee09]

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

adithorp

posted on 16/4/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bizarrely and somewhat suspiciously, it passed MOT 4 weeks ago!?!? I know the guy who did the test, but I most certainly didn't want or ask for any favours.

If this had shown up then (did they check it??) I would have a VOSA certificate by now.

The brake test at IVA is not the same as that done for an MOT. It's more complicated and as a result I think the testers might want you out of the way so as not to get distracted.
Also, the efficiency is worked out based on weight. MOT uses a fixed weight for the specific vehicle. IVA uses actual weight from their scales, plus a fixed amount added for passengers/luggage. Without knowing that the MOT result wouldn't be comparable with IVA.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.