Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inspiration to build a Vectis?
jeffw

posted on 26/7/13 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
The Sylva Vectis is not a locost though.

If you have 16" wheels, AP brakes and a servo then fine, use them. But....they will not be as good/nice to drive as 13" wheels and smaller brakes without a servo.

You could, with a lot of effort, make the Vectis as practical as a normal road car but you'll simple end up with a very expensive MGF which defeats the object. You need to really consider why you want to build a kit, if it is to have a very lightweight, wind in the hair car which stops and turns so much better than a standard sports car due to the low mass then great otherwise I'd stick with the donor as is.

nickm

posted on 26/7/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I am just musing so as to provoke thought because any kit that you build takes a lot of thinking about before and as you build it, your original thoughts can change. I have watched other builds on here and various blogs and thought why didnt i do that.
The worst thing you can do is buy and then become frustrated and never finish it.
The beauty of kitcars is you can build the car you want.
Jeremy was thinking of a "targa" version but i dont know how far along that is.
If you build as slow as me it spreads the cost quite well 3.4 years and still going.
I have an MGZR 160 as my day to day car and can see why you would want to re-use the engine, didnt Caterham use the K series engines a few years ago ? (any old chassis out there, full wet weather gear)
Go to Jeremys and drive both types J15 and Vectis.
Most kitcars if you have never driven them before will surprise you with their sharp handling compared to "normal" cars, but they do bite.

Nick M

inkafone

posted on 28/7/13 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
The Vectis could be made quite habitable - a zip in hood like the Marlin Sexi would work without doors or with a bit (lot) of work doors could be cut out & then bonded to a hinged inner door panel like the Fury/Stylus. Welding on a door hinge pillar would need to be used plus it would stiffen the windscreen pillars. Wind up windows are a no-no but sidescreens made from plexiglas that hinge off the windscreen pillar work - I've made some on the Mojo & they work very well,I can cruise @ 70+ with little buffeting. Performance wise a Vectis with the VVC will be far superior to the MGF mainly due to a 500kg weight saving. A Vectis on 16" wheels will look a bit tonkatoy - stick to 15's,the Vectis really suits the MG's minilite copies plus the standard brakes are more than up to the job - trophy wheels/brakes are very saleable. The K series is an excellent engine especially the VVC but the exhaust manifold is on the wrong side so a hot rear bulkhead is a problem in the summer.

[Edited on 28/7/13 by inkafone]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.