Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle position sensor
I predict a Riot

posted on 20/9/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle position sensor

I was having a play today with the OBD2 reader and noticed something odd - the throttle position sensor was reading 17.5% open at idle, fair enough, but at full throttle it never read higher than 94.5%.
There is no problem mechanically the throttle pedal opens the butterfly just as far as working it by hand.
So the question is - is this typical?
Am I missing out on 5.5% of power?
Is the position sensor adjustable or fixed?
The engine is a 1.7 l Ford Sigma with the standard throttle body.

Thanks for any comments.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

britishtrident

posted on 20/9/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
The actual angular range of the throttle pot always has to be bigger than the movement of the throttle otherwise you would physically break it every time you used the car.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 21/9/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle pot calibration usually tells the ECU that the lowest figure should equal 0 and the highest 100%
The problem here is whether the OBD is showing TPS actual reading or ECU interpretation

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 21/9/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Actually .........................

Quote from the Ian Hawkins Torque App web site http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Throttle_Position

"Throttle Position "

"This is the reading from the potentiometer at the manifold - it is not a reading from the accelerator pedal."

"You may see that this reading never reaches 0%, and in some cases does not also reach 100%. There are a few reasons for this:"

" The reading is relative. 13% on the potentiometer may be fully 'closed' in terms of throttle."
"On some vehicles this also represents the idle state (on these vehicles 0% would mean fully closed throttle - no air=engine stall). "

" For readings that do not reach 100%, this may also be due to the relative reading of the potentiometer."
" The ECU map may also contribute to this as on some vehicles the throttle (controlled by the ECU) will close slightly at higher RPM - the VW Fox is one such vehicle that does this over 3000RPM. "

[Edited on 21/9/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

I predict a Riot

posted on 21/9/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

There obviously is no problem and I've learnt something.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.