Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1
kipper

posted on 7/10/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
F1

It says a lot about the state of the premier motor sporting race at the weekend that there is no mention of it in this forum
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Same old... if you pretend vettel wasnt in the race it was a really good one!

Mistral Motorsport

onenastyviper

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I am afraid that I am turning slightly ambivalent about F1.
I respect the Drivers, the cars and the technical prowess but the politics and the money and general lack of engagement is astonishing.
Take Silverstone for example, why is it that both the MotoGP & Superbike paddocks use the old pits whilst F1 uses the new "Wing"?
The reason given my Toby Moody for MotoGP was that Dorna found the new "Wing" not very fan-friendly.
It is incredible how much F1 is so far up it's own backside. Even the TV coverage is turning the same. It is nothing more now than an old-boys club with random seats available for those willing to put up not-inconsiderable amounts of money with the vain hope that they may be recognised as "talents for the future" - assuming that they are not too old already.
F1 should be fun and interesting - not a cold, clinical excuse in the science of methodically and mathematically proving why a car cannot overtake due to the aerodynamic upwash of another vehicle.

Yep, I will be watching the next race but thanks to Sky+, I can just watch the qualifying and the race and not listen to too much incessant over-analysis from the commentators about why a car cannot go too fast because it will "wreck" its tyres.

F1 could learn a thing or two from NASCAR about entertainment - and how to govern the teams.

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

chris-g

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have not bothered following F1 for many years and don't miss it. Too political, too pretentious and too much about money and celebrity and down right dull, the support races are more entertaining. The cars might be the best in the work at setting very fast lap times but they are crap for racing. I would like to see a return to manual gearboxes and steel brakes, the possibility of missing a gear and longer braking distances should help make it a bit more interesting. It amuses me that they needed to introduce things such as DRS to encourage overtaking.
loggyboy

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
What they should do is make wings half the size and bring back ground effects, that should see closer racing.

Mistral Motorsport

rdodger

posted on 7/10/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm bored hearing about drivers looking after their tyres.

I have been shouting for years at anyone who will listen (there aren't many) that the cars should have tyres that work, as many of them as they want! Limit the aero so cars can get close and overtake without this KERS and DRS rubbish!

2.5L NA engines, fuel stops and reasonable testing.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/10/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
DRS is a completely false concept and it just grates on me. Technically interesting but in terms of head to head racing it is just wrong.

Cut the aero is my vote.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Surrey Dave

posted on 7/10/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Pay To View!

I'm an F1 enthusiast , but i'm not going to buy 'SKY' to watch it.

The BBC coverage was the best and still is good with Gary Anderson & Eddie Jordan stirring it up every few weeks , but the 'highlights' rather than live leaves me a bit cold .

Also I'm fed up with tyres, tyres,tyres,tyres,tyres,tyres,tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The drivers complain to Pirelli but they are only doing what they have been asked to do (spice up the racing as if it were wet every time!)

I'm amazed Pirelli poke up with it because they receive bad press after nearly every race and to the non F1 fan that could be very damaging to their image.

PSpirine

posted on 7/10/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Dave.. Pirelli aren't exactly portrayed in a shining light despite what looks like delivering exactly what contracted to do.

I watched all the races this year (on BBC, so some highlights rather than live), and I still think the BBC coverage is exemplary. Yes it's a rich boys' driving club, but that's part of what it is - take it or leave it. I don't agree with some of the rules, but these seasons are still better than some from years ago when one team would runaway 5 seconds a lap, and end up with 1-2's on every track. Vettel is good, as are Red Bull. Doesn't make for great drama for the #1 spot, but behind them, the chase is pretty exciting this year I think.

The rules change year on year to keep teams developing new things. Teams with higher budgets will be quicker to respond. If you then "dumb" it down to "no spoilers, NA 2.5 engines" etc. then those teams with higher budgets will still come out on top as to get a small advantage wouldn't be affordable to others due to the extensive time/money spent on perfecting the design.

Where I *was* disappointed was when I went to Silverstone, and in person, the racing just isn't exciting. I've been to NASCAR in the states, and as dull as the concept is, it's the most thrilling and engaging motorsport event I've been to. You can see the entire track, the racing is actual RACING that's incredibly close, and the atmosphere is unbelievable.

It's strange, I'd rather watch F1 on the telly, but I'd much rather go to a NASCAR race...

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sums it up quite well, and its very true, I also switched off through the dominant Schumacher years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24428367

Mistral Motorsport

RickRick

posted on 7/10/13 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
i recon a new forumla could have some legs now, and be more appropriate to current tech, and advancing it. no rules other than any energy storage must be discharged completly at the start of each run, and say 75lts pump fuel for each race.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/10/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much all been said really. Get rid of old 'one finger' and it might become interesting again!

All happened in the Schumacher era, when the car was designed around a single driver and all efforts poured into them. Same story now, with Adrian Newey (arguably the best designer in the paddock) designing a car specifically for Vettel the outcome is pretty predictable really. Pretty obvious why MW has had enough

I liked Vettel for the first couple of years, then he turned into the mandatory ***k!!

Ho hum, roll on 2014, maybe things will change? ...... but I doubt it

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/13 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
i recon a new forumla could have some legs now, and be more appropriate to current tech, and advancing it. no rules other than any energy storage must be discharged completly at the start of each run, and say 75lts pump fuel for each race.

All comes down to money. Would be impossible to prise the grip off of the F1 monopoly. Sponsors would need to buy in, and they dont care about the sport, only the lifestyle.

Mistral Motorsport

designer

posted on 7/10/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's just a traveling circus, and it's not relevant any more.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Twin40

posted on 7/10/13 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think all of the "limiting regulations" need to be removed, this is supposed to be F1 - the pinnacle of motorsport.

Teams should be allowed to push the boundaries of every possible part of the car to get the win (without compromising safety of course), not be limited by tyre degradation and maximum wing deflection/size, engine cc etc etc

It would allow some unique machinery on track - not the boring typical 'design' we see on TV's these days. The usual excuse is the cost, but a smaller team may be able to develop a car to suit their budget, which can lap just as quick as the big teams!

Now it is all far to clinical and controlled for me....

franky

posted on 7/10/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Sums it up quite well, and its very true, I also switched off through the dominant Schumacher years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24428367

I though lewis getting his arse handed to him by Vettel week in/week out might be a bit boring for him

Volvorsport

posted on 7/10/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
booked my ticket for next yrs barca GP .

its the travelling and other poo that interests me ...

allowing more underfloor aerodynamics like indy car would allow cars to follow closely ...

steel brakes ... hmmm... they have steel discs/pads that can brake just as well as carbon....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

morcus

posted on 7/10/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I thought We had an understanding that We wait till Monday to prevent spoilers.

It would be better if they dropped the tyre nonsense, but It's a shame they changed mid season.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

six mad

posted on 7/10/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Still love it, yes it would be better if other drivers were closer to Vettel,
but there is some good close racing behind him.

Sky HD run up coverage is fantastic, some great technical pieces.

Will be much better too next year when turbos are in the mix.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/10/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thankfully, we all still have MotoGP to watch. There is still the chance to see some close racing, marvelling at how they fail to crash at every corner. Watching that Repsol Honda going into a corner sideways, duelling, just does it for me.
iank

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I thought We had an understanding that We wait till Monday to prevent spoilers.

It would be better if they dropped the tyre nonsense, but It's a shame they changed mid season.

Umm, this thread was started on Monday morning...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
Personally I think all of the "limiting regulations" need to be removed, this is supposed to be F1 - the pinnacle of motorsport.

Teams should be allowed to push the boundaries of every possible part of the car to get the win (without compromising safety of course), not be limited by tyre degradation and maximum wing deflection/size, engine cc etc etc

It would allow some unique machinery on track - not the boring typical 'design' we see on TV's these days. The usual excuse is the cost, but a smaller team may be able to develop a car to suit their budget, which can lap just as quick as the big teams!

Now it is all far to clinical and controlled for me....

Over the years the limiting regulations have, ignoring some of the politics, been introduced as development from the teams made the sport dangerous (or they allowed dangerous designs like the wings on massively tall supports). Or has that changed recently?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

morcus

posted on 7/10/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
It seems my meaning was unclear, it was an answer to the original post about how there wasn't a post earlier.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

madteg

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to the turbos coming back, but than again bet the the boost will be capped at 6psi and not adjustable if Bernie has anything to do with it. Hope they just let the teams do what they want to.
T66

posted on 7/10/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Can watch it, not a huge fan, now a 100% convert back to MotoGp & BSB, where they still have races.

Hate Suzi Perry nearly as much I do the Sky F1 coverage. The touring cars (even with jason pluto) are more interesting than Vittel winning week in week out.

Suzi Perry irritates me immediately every week, by walking and talking towards the camera, while in the pit lane, trying very hard to look like she has hips and is attractive. Just watch her next time.......

My ten bobs worth

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.