Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BIT ADVICE NEEDED !!
tompat3463

posted on 9/12/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
BIT ADVICE NEEDED !!

Hi guys.. instead of posting on the mini forum I thought id give you guys a go as youve helped me many times before.
Here is my problem

Ive converted a Corsa diff to sprocket drive. bought bearings and carrier and have everything set up and working.

ive welded plates onto the diff where there was 2 holes (pressumably to get the gears in and out)

and house I was planning on drilling and tapping one of the patches for a plug so it can be filled with diff oil. Befire that i thought id try some oil in and oil is pissing out on the areas marked in red on the photo.

now I know before any cheeky bugger says.........."this diff was never meant to be oil tight etc......you should go to west garages and buy one of there chain diffs etc etc...

I just didnt realised this would be a problem.

so...how can I fix this ??

are therer any greases out there that would lube the gears ebough and not leak out or does it hace to be gearbox oil ??

I was thinking some sort of seal on the shafts would help..

any advice welcome !

Description
Description

[Edited on 9/12/13 by tompat3463]

mookaloid

posted on 9/12/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I am very definitely not an expert at chain diffs but I would have thought that grease was the way forward here.

Oil will never stay in as it will just leak past the drive shaft splines.

The gears inside don't turn at any real speed relative to each other unless you are sitting there with one wheel spinning and the other one stationary - which you won't do for very long if it does happen.

Not sure which grease but it will tend to be flung outwards away from the drive shafts so should mainly stay put I would have thought and use a grease nipple rather than a plug so that you can pump grease in perhaps?

Just my 2p worth

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

dave_424

posted on 9/12/13 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on how tightly the driveshafts clip into the diff, could you get a thick o-ring in the groove?
Minicooper

posted on 9/12/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Grease is what the diff builders use and it works perfectly

David

imp paul

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for grease as my mate with his home made blade imp does this and works sweet
nearly done

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
You could try the grease that Landrover use in side there swivel housings on the front axle. This is thick gloopy stuff and was designed not to leak past oil seals etc.

Cheers, Sean.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.