Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone know anything about this lathe?
blakep82

posted on 5/4/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know anything about this lathe?

Description
Description

I understand its for wood, but it doesnt look like any wood lathe I've seen. Perhaps some parts are missing? Isnt there normally a wide blade shaped tool rest?

Its to be removed from a relatives house along with some other tools, I was just told it was a lathe, I was hoping a metal lathe, but not looking likely

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SteveWalker

posted on 5/4/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
It appears to have a tool post and screw operated slides, which seem more like a metalworking lathe, although it looks rather weak for that - very odd.
big_wasa

posted on 5/4/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I would say that's an early 1900's metal lathe.

As for make you will have to have a look over it for a makers mark.

blakep82

posted on 5/4/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly what was going through my head...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 5/4/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
A friend has the identical lathe in his workshop. We use it for turning odd bits of wood and although it has the clamping system for holding steel turning tools I wouldnt risk it. The motor is fixed speed and there is no traverse................
paulf

posted on 5/4/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is an early 1900s metal turning lathe but cant tell what make from picture.It would have originally have been flat belt driven possibly from a foot treadle mounted underneath like an old type sewing machine.If there is a chuck or chucks then it would be useful for the odd simple job such as turning bushes and such like, if you were to spend some time and strip and clean it all, then rebuild it could probably be fairly accurate as long as its not overloaded.I used to work at a place where we had a larger version of about the same age and it was often used for skimming brake disks and other odd jobs.
Paul

chris-g

posted on 5/4/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on lathes.co.uk, it might be listed on there. Also worth posting an information ad on homeworkshop.org.uk.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.