Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Ravens
daveb666

posted on 20/5/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
OT - Ravens

There is a barn behind me with ravens nesting in it. There are about 25 of them in total. They are nesting in the cavity of the building and entering through 3 empty air bricks. Aside from crapping on everything in sight they make a hell of a noise, all the time and (most importantly according to my other half) scare off the little birds from everyone's gardens.

I've spoke to the chap who owns the barn and asked him to remove the nests and block the holes up and he says its "on his list of things to do". I offered to do it and he said no; he wants to get someone in to replace the bricks with a suitable style of brick and re-point etc.

The holes are about 6m from the ground so easy access isn't possible.

I want to get rid of these things.

Blocking up the hole isn't an option (as the neighbour will know it's me that's done it).
Shooting them isn't an option - I borrowed an air rifle for a week and only got 1
Putting a big plastic eagle or similiar in a tree isn't an option, as this will also scare the little birds off

Any suggestions?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Big plastic eagle will not scare birds...even ones that make the eagle noises. We have them at work and after a couple of weeks the other birds go and sit by them. You can almost hear them thinking "That guy looks hards as nails, I'm going to sit next to him"

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

minitici

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
"Legal protection

All wild birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) and cannot be killed or taken, their nests and eggs taken, damaged or destroyed, it also prohibits or controls certain methods of killing or taking except under licence. Other activities that are prohibited include possession and sale. Activities such as killing or taking birds (including relocating) which would otherwise be illegal can be carried out under licence where there is suitable justification and the issue cannot be resolved by alternative means.

Please note, there is no power to grant licences for the purpose of preventing serious damage to property with respect to birds."

Ravens are not covered by the provisions of General Licences for control - you are not likely to get a special licence in this instance.

Don't shoot or disturb them!

daveb666

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
You're not meant to exceed the legal speed limits either but I'm sure we've all done that at some point in time.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

MP3C

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
There are lots of... ways to get rid of them but legal ways, there isn't a lot you can do, except keep pestering the farmer due to ravens being a protected species. It also doesn't help he has told you not to sort it and they are on his land. I think you just have to play the waiting game to be honest and wait for him to pull his finger out and do the job.

keep us informed though

Matt

chris-g

posted on 20/5/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666 Aside from crapping on everything in sight they make a hell of a noise, all the time

They probably think the same about us humans.

Agriv8

posted on 20/5/14 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they are Ravens ? if they are Crows I thought these were classed as vermin? I believe they are very similar

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

daveb666

posted on 20/5/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
OK we'll call them crows then for the purpose of this thread if it helps

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/14 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem. And had the same thoughts initially. Gave up in the end, they're just part of the environment I bought a house in and you get used to them - no point killing them off, more will fill their place very quickly.

My advice is make your peace with them and accept you may need to buy a car cover. We do have a rather daft initial reaction of wanting to kill off and get rid of all the stuff we don't like, but they will grow on you eventually.

[Edited on 20/5/14 by coyoteboy]

ed1801

posted on 20/5/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Get some jam jar lids and wait till it snows...CROWBOARDING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uXiAe7Oc-I

Canada EH!

posted on 20/5/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The difference between crows and ravens is the size, common crow 17"-21" and more likely to nest together, common raven 21" -27" and don't much like humans or built up areas and they are scavengers.

Crows on the other hand have no problem around humans and as you discovered will nest in numbers into the hundreds.

So I would say you have the common crow and it is recognized world wide as a Common Pest.

Living in rural Ontario we have both but the ravens stay in the bush, the crows come to town.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/14 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Get all sorts of wild birds where I live (a village in the middle of Suffolk agricultural land) - basically, learn to live with them, as they come with the territory!

"If you don't like the country environment, go live somewhere else!" is a common refrain in my neighbourhood...

Hellfire

posted on 20/5/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
From what you've said, the nesting birds are probably Jackdaws. They're the only member of the crow family that actually nest in holes in buildings and form loose nesting colonies.

Their breeding season will soon be over and the young birds will have fledged within the next month or two. They usually return to the same nest site year after year however, so unless you want them next year, you'll need to block the holes in Autumn/Winter.

Phil

Dingz

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
There are ravens at the Tower of London and when they leave the Monarchy will fall, (their wings are clipped so they can't fly much!) Can you go and shoot those please.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

avagolen

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rooks, but not Crows.

Crows are quite solitary.

Rooks nest in a collection usually named a rookery......

Probably Jackdaws though - do they have heads different colours to there bodies - greyish.

Mind you, they are all noisy.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Hellfire

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rooks nest in trees.

Phil

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/14 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever the feck they are they're just wild birds finding a nesting place, leave them alone and then block up the nesting place and be happy you live in a nice rural location instead of a godforsaken city where animals fear to tread.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.