Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva Striker Chassis Numbers...
scootz

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva Striker Chassis Numbers...

Can anyone tell me please if the Strikers came with chassis numbers from the shop, or was it down to the individual to stamp them on?

If they came with them, then where they typically stamped?

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
My Raw chassis came factory stamped (incorrectly with 1 in it!) on lower drivers side trianglulation bar at front of engine bay.

[Edited on 3-10-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

scootz

posted on 3/10/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers... any old-skool Sylva owners able to confirm if it was down likewise back in the day!

It's Evolution Baby!

Sam_68

posted on 3/10/14 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Can anyone tell me please if the Strikers came with chassis numbers from the shop, or was it down to the individual to stamp them on?

Mine (1988 Sylva-manufactured chassis) had a proper chassis plate, pre-printed in black on aluminium and stamped with thechassis number.

Apologies for the crap picture - it's cropped from a much larger picture of the car with the bonnet up:

On my car (a Mk. IV/Phoenix/Clubman) it was riveted to the side panel above the sill moulding, on the offside of the engine bay, but I'm guessing that with the 'normal' striker it would most commonly be riveted to the scuttle bulkhead.

I can't remember the exact format, but it was something like a long chassis number, followed by 08/88 (or whatever), for the year and the number of the chassis built that year.

MkII

posted on 3/10/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis was made in 1995 it has chassis no stamped from factory I think it's some
where around pedal box area, I can have a look later if that helps

scootz

posted on 3/10/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
That would be appreciated.

I've picked up a Striker that's been on track for a few years. The guy I bought to from reckons it had been SVA'd once upon a time, but has no paperwork. It has all the lights, and number-plate drill holes in the bodywork, so there could be something to it.

Just damned if I can find a chassis number (I suppose it's always possible that it may have 'migrated' onto a more recent Raw Striker!).

No big deal if it's not been SVA'd or the details lost to another car - it's a nice wee car, the Pinto pulls like a train, and the price was VERY reasonable!

It's Evolution Baby!

Dopdog

posted on 3/10/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have the chassis plate / number In my garage from when I purchased my striker back in 1999 it is just stamped and not fitted it was up to us to fit them,

do you want a picture of it ?

[Edited on 3/10/14 by Dopdog]

Dopdog

posted on 3/10/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go

MkII

posted on 3/10/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has the chassis no. Stamped onto a small metal strip which is welded to the front of the pedal box , it also has a aluminium I.D plate similar to the one in an earlier post. Can't be sure this was done at the factory but it was there when I bought it as an unfinished (barely started) project

hth. .m.

scootz

posted on 3/10/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 4/10/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to have had an ID plate riveted / sealed to the bulkhead at some point in it's life... I suspect it's now resident on another car!

Oh well, IVA it is.

Shouldn't cost much more than the fee as all lights / radius's's's's's's seem fine... and it's got a Pinto, so emissions shouldn't come into play.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 5/10/14 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkII
Mine has the chassis no. Stamped onto a small metal strip which is welded to the front of the pedal box , it also has a aluminium I.D plate similar to the one in an earlier post. Can't be sure this was done at the factory but it was there when I bought it as an unfinished (barely started) project

hth. .m.

It did indeed! Number found on tag on pedal box... S99***

Have taken the pic down of the full number.

[Edited on 5/10/14 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

slingshot2000

posted on 5/10/14 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, if you try and find an id for your new car using that chassis number you could really spoil some body's day in a BIG way !
Have fun.

Regards
Jon

scootz

posted on 5/10/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
Wow, if you try and find an id for your new car using that chassis number you could really spoil some body's day in a BIG way !
Have fun.

Regards
Jon

Will drop Sylva an email to see if they have any other info on the number. Still unlikely that I'll find the 17-digit number though.

Nevermind - I bought it on the assumption it needed an IVA.

It's Evolution Baby!

alfas

posted on 9/10/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
all old strikers or phoenix came with unstamped chassis.

the cars / kits came with a sylva manufacturer plate, some pre-stamped some not.

even sylva gave their kits a chassis-number like "s90xxxx" it might happen that the dvla issued a 17digit chassis number starting with SABTVR.....which the owner had to use.

usually sylva issued striker´s with numbers starting SS
phoenix with SP

most stars and leaders only had an S in front

[Edited on 9/10/14 by alfas]

zilspeed

posted on 9/10/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Old School Sylva owner - that would be me.

Had two.

Chassis numbers were nowhere to be seen on any of the two, but a riveted plate which the previous owner had invented.

When my later one eventually became properly registered, I got a proper DVLA issued VIN.

Regards speaking to Sylva. Best of luck with that. I tried speaking to Jeremy a long time ago and it was not a conversation I remember fondly.

Info on the older cars wasn't really something that was on offer.

alfas

posted on 10/10/14 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Old School Sylva owner - that would be me.

Had two.

Chassis numbers were nowhere to be seen on any of the two, but a riveted plate which the previous owner had invented.

When my later one eventually became properly registered, I got a proper DVLA issued VIN.

Regards speaking to Sylva. Best of luck with that. I tried speaking to Jeremy a long time ago and it was not a conversation I remember fondly.

Info on the older cars wasn't really something that was on offer.

similar expirience when i visited jeremy at his home, during pick-up of one of his first strikers (originally registered on his name):

jeremy is a really nice and polite guy..but he made the impression (to me) that he wasnt too much interested in the "old" times...or maybe he even doesnt know all those facts anymore?

so tracing any histroy about sylva might always become a bit unclear.

Kdempsie

posted on 10/10/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have bought two Sylva kits (not Strikers) and neither of them had chassis numbers stamped into the chassis. They did come with a chassis plate with the number.

I hard stamped a chassis tube on the first car and had a plate engraved and seam welded on the second.

Keith.

bigfoot4616

posted on 10/10/14 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
i eventually found the 17 digit SABTVR number stamped on the tube that runs behind the top of the rad on mine which matches the log book.
it also has the SS number on the sylva plate riveted to the bulkhead which is the number used on every mot dating back a lot of years.
keep expecting to here from DVLA about MOT and logbook not matching but nothing yet.

just checked and its a single S at the start on the sylva plate not double.

[Edited on 10/10/14 by bigfoot4616]

scootz

posted on 10/10/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.

I'm no further forward.

Looks like I'd better just book an IVA.

It's Evolution Baby!

alfas

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

y

can you tell us the background of your question?

how old is your striker?

as posted before from me and others:

new cars (from RAW) will have the chassis stamped as its mandatroy by law. old cars (from sylva) you wont find any stamping from the factory.

scootz

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
Can you tell us the background of your question?

See post 6

quote:
Originally posted by alfas
How old is your Striker?

S99... Sylva stamp. Jeremy confirms 1999 kit.

It's Evolution Baby!

nickm

posted on 12/10/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I would have a good search for the number stamped into the chassis as when i did SVA in 2007 they wouldnt accept the plates as they can be removed the number had to be stamped into a chassis tube, the DVLA fella checked it as best he could as i stamped it on the underneath of a tube near the diff my logic being that if anyone nicked it they would change the chassis plate but wouldnt be able to find my hidden mark and the proof it was originally mine, also good fun getting your own back on the system by making a bloke in a suit lie down and try to check it in the car park.

Nick M

alfas

posted on 13/10/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
now i got you!!

S99 ...

the first 2 numbers after the letter are always indicating the year of the kit

but arent there any number plates or any old picture existing where you could trace the history? or was it only put through sva but not registered afterwards?

pinto-powered...quite unusual for a striker....

the constant builder

posted on 26/10/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
My Striker's Vin on its V5 is 6 digits starting S90. I have the receipt from Jeremy for the chassis which is dated 1993.

Given your situation I would be tempted to enquire with DVLA re your chassis number and if they have it on their database, point out that you only just acquired the car, other wise they might want you to pay back dated road tax if the car was not SORN.

Hope to see another Striker on the road in these parts soon.

Best regards

Angus

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.