Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost GT40
DREWB

posted on 29/11/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Locost GT40

So here goes-I'll come out of the shadows! After building two locosts, I've built up the kit, the network and hopefully the skills, I feel it's time to move on- but to what? BEC? Mid engine?
But after Practical Performance Car's article on Graham Turners GT40, this must be the way to go, but I just can't bring myself to buy a chassis....that's the fun bit!!
So, how to overcome the first problem- chassis plans. As any internet search has been unfruitful, and I possess virtually no computer skills, do I pay a chassis designer? If so, who? Any suggestions? Do I wait for an abanboned project? Or do I just pay up and shut up?!
Anyone like minded? What do you think?
DREWB

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/11/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Get one of these much more exclusive than a GT40
lmp-05
lmp-05
LMP link

tadltd

posted on 29/11/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
That's one way to get a discount!!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 29/11/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Drew,
GT 40... mmmmmmmm probably THE most beautyfull car ever made!
I'm certainly no expert but if you have made two locost's you surely must have confidence enough to build a midengine chassis.
The thing that would worry me the most would be the bodywork/glasswork/doors etc...and not the frame...assuming you're not gonna use a 800bhp monster in the back.
There sure must be some websites with pictures of the GT 40's frame (locost style that is)
If you have some pictures and a few dimensions you could be on your way.

posted on 29/11/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Where's Jack Nicholson in that avtar Mango???????
andylancaster3000

posted on 29/11/04 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just found this on e-bay while browsing, might be interested in it. May need a little work, but a good base for a shell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9903&item=7937612488&rd=1

Andy

JoelP

posted on 29/11/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i'd scratch build it. start by tacking together an untriangulated frame to hang things on, then cut and weld it until it looks right, then add some triangulation til its is strong. then start again and make a perfect version. Doing it this way would allow a lot of experimenting and testing, and wouldnt even waste too much metal.

my next project is a gt38 (like a gt40 but only 38 inches tall, rather than 40!)

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/11/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm

[Edited on 4-12-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/11/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Where's Jack Nicholson in that avtar Mango???????

Easy Gillbert Easy bud!

Peteff

posted on 30/11/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
He's looking for his helmet

Nick nick womp.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Volvorsport

posted on 30/11/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Err a 38 inch Gt40 was built in the from of an Alfa Romeo stradale tipo 33 , i should know i was jigging the bugger (replica) before i left gainfull employment to discover fame and fortune
kb58

posted on 30/11/04 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think the best compromise is to buy just the shell from some place, then make your own chassis to suit. Doing the composite yourself will be educational, but take years. Doing doors sucks dead donkey dick... Seriously, doors take an enormous amount of time, and even then they won't work right half the time. Do yourself a favor and just buy the shell.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
krlthms

posted on 30/11/04 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
How fast are you planning to go in this car? I understand that the original 40's were notorious for generating lift at high speed (not good). The modern GT does not have this problem. The development team farted around with the front design to eliminate lift.
Personally, I think the GT40 is a good looking car, but it is a bit too often replicated. Now, a Miura, that is something else:beauty, class, rarity, and sex
Cheers
krlthms

phelpsa

posted on 30/11/04 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
.... and will fly past 80mph (literally)

DREWB

posted on 1/12/04 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cita & KB58 - I agree with you guys, the only bit I wouldn't consider doing is the glasswork - bad experience with a poorly made Kayak!

Mangogrooveworkshop - the lmp and 'Ultima looking' car are really cool, but I've been bitten by the classic lines of the GT40 and I can't be distracted from that - that's the only way for me. Although I'd show my appreciation to the auto designer of those cars if he felt like getting involved - regardless of which side of Hadrian's wall he came! Many thanks for the era pics.

AndyLancaster3000 - great find on ebay, certainly worth considering. Let me know if you find anything else!

JoelP - GT38 sounds interesting - any pics or anything else you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Could ANYONE recommend a space frame chassis that could be modified for the GT40?
Greatly encouraged by all your responses - keep up the good work. DrewB.

Glan Noye

posted on 1/12/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have been involved in the building of 2 GTD40s and complete rebuild of a third.I have also worked on several others.The chassis on these cars are very overengineered,heavy and complicated!If you could find a chassis from one of those horrible Lamborghini kits that were popular in the 80s you would have a good starting point.Most of these are very similar,I think the wheel base is the same.They also use the same suspension setup i.e.Mk 2 Granada front uprights and brakes.At the rear are fabricated steel uprights, again very heavy! Also at the rear are long trailing arms and again Granada brakes are used.I do know someone who can supply aluminium rear uprights. I think you would have to add some outriggers to the side of one of these chassis as the GT40 uses saddle type fuel tanks.Gearboxes are usually Renault units, the 21 turbo being favourite(better ratios)though I have driven one that had an Audi 6 speed which I believe came from one of the large turbo diesels.If you have any more questions send me a U2U Glan
DREWB

posted on 2/12/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Glen you have u2u
dozracing

posted on 2/12/04 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a chassis designer to work with try darren@gtstuning.co.uk

I've done a bit of design work in the past, and wouldn't mind a new project.........

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

DREWB

posted on 2/12/04 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Darren, thanks for the offer, will be in touch soon ,I did think you were interested the Cobra route but it would be great to have you on board. Our paths have crossed before, all will be clear soon. Thanks again Drew
Glan Noye

posted on 3/12/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I came across this today it might provide a starting point. http://www.rorty-design.com/content/beetle...ensive%20manual and (IMG:http://www.rorty-design.com/images/Beetle_chassis02.jpg)
Food for thought,Glan.If link doesnt work try this one http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7719

[Edited on 3/12/04 by Glan Noye]

krlthms

posted on 3/12/04 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just read in the paper today that the "father" of the new Ford has been "retired"; he got to watch car #8 being built, and then got to take it home for a leaving present! he is building a garage for it where he will also have things such as magazine covers and blue prints displayed.
He is only 54, and says that he will be joining Carroll Shelby for "special projects"; it will be interesting to see what the pair of them will cook up.
Cheers
KT
I can't remeber his full name; Theodore ?

DREWB

posted on 4/12/04 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Update: In the past week, and probably this weekend, I hope to find pics, links & specs to assist the chassis designer. So . . . which are considered to be the better names out there in the GT40 world? (It should be noted that this will be a new design, but it does no harm to check others out).
Principles: I intend to work within the same ones that worked so well for Ron Champion - build the best you can with a keen eye on costs (best price) - no point having the best GT40, but it never seeing the road! It must also be progressive - I don't like things hanging on, as far as financially possible. My aim is to bring the GT40 into the hands of the normal working man, ie. me, and help others to do the same. I hope the team below are going to help me do this:
senior GT40 builder, sheet metal worker, Fabricator (www.arrowengineering.co.uk), coded welder, designer, development engineer, designer/supplier, and me (www.vaspracing.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk).
Not all of the above know about the team - it'll be a nice surprise - may be subject to change, so no names! However, if you feel you can bring something to the table, pull up a chair. Many thanks. DrewB.

Northy

posted on 4/12/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen this thread, brilliant! I would love to build a GT40 replica but cost would also be the main issue for me. Please keep us informed.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

cymtriks

posted on 4/12/04 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
try looking at ultimav12.ca and the seven.info site/files section/kitcaranalysis.doc(version2)
The first site shows how an Ultima chassis was uprated. The chassis stiffness is quoted at each change to the chassis so that the effect of each change can be seen. The kitcaranalysis.doc is written by me and shows the results of my analysis of the Locost and some general information on chassis stiffness. I do structural analysis using finite element analysis for a living at RR btw.

If you post your ideas on this forum I'm sure you'll get some friendly advice.

DREWB

posted on 5/12/04 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cita , thanks for the u2u and yes I do intent to keep this forum up to date, with regard to the "team" however ... does the sound like a but?? well it shouldn't because enthusiasm and willingness goes a long way in my book ( ten pressed men and all that) we will gladly find some thing for you to contribute, Thanks again. Drew
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.