Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thruxton GT vs. MK HSR
JonTarry

posted on 19/6/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thruxton GT vs. MK HSR

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me exactly how the Thruxton GT and MK HSR Healey-esque bodies differ from each other? It's obvious they share DNA, but I understand they are not exactly the same.

Here the Thruxton:

...and the HSR:

There are some styling differences (holes in the bonnet and front side/indicator lighting), but other than that? I've read that the Thruxton is better finished, but I can't quantify what that actually means...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Jon.

JonTarry

posted on 19/6/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Scratch that, I just answered my own question by ringing MK and finding out they don't supply it any more!

For any mods, this topic can be deleted. I can't find any obvious way of doing so myself.

femster87

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
The body manufacturer is in Derbyshire somewhere. Had a bodywork for sale recently on ebay

[Edited on 19/6/15 by femster87]

The Knobs

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I really want one of these ( Thruxton GT ), anyone got a cheap one sat doing nothing? Is there any online info on the kits etc anywhere as cant find much?
Slimy38

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
He was at Stoneleigh this year on the kitpartsdirect stand, I was so annoyed because he had a show special discount and I've got nowhere to store it yet!

I couldn't really see much difference in finish between the two, they're both 'rough' as they come out the mould and aren't as polished as some other suppliers. But that's why they're cheap.

I'm sure I have some photos of a 'raw' shell as it was at the show, I'll try and post them later if I can.

femster87

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the lights and you will notice a difference. Front and back
kitcardirect

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
if you contact us we can look to help to with a purchase of the old hsr body,

u2u or email sales@kitcardirect.co.uk

regards

sean
kcd

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/

Follow Us On Facebook : http://on.fb.me/1KYgL8N

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonTarry

posted on 19/6/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
I really want one of these ( Thruxton GT ), anyone got a cheap one sat doing nothing? Is there any online info on the kits etc anywhere as cant find much?

Thruxton have some photos on their Facebook page, otherwise the info is a bit limited.

JonTarry

posted on 19/6/15 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I'm sure I have some photos of a 'raw' shell as it was at the show, I'll try and post them later if I can.

That would be great, if possible...

The Knobs

posted on 19/6/15 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
the lightweight matt black one looks awesome, wonder how light though?
rdodger

posted on 19/6/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nice picture of the Thruxton!

There isn't much info on the web as Jim Walker who manufactures them does it as a sideline to his garage business in Cornwall and doesn't really do computers. He will however chat to you for hours if you call him.

I set up the facebook page to share the pictures of my build.

As for the differences in the ex MK body V's the Thruxton. The Thruxton is basically a development of the MK HSR body which was in fact owned by another friend of mine. Jim bought a body, didn't think much of it and chopped it about until he was then used it as a buck to make new moulds.

The Thruxton fits on top of the chassis rails of a MK, MAC#1, Westfield, even a Haynes. The lights are different and the general fit and finish are far better. Mine is in gel coat and a good finish. With the body Jim will supply outriggers to fit to a 7 chassis or he can supply an entire kit.

If you need any more details let me know.

Cheap ones for sale? Not really as there are only 2 Thruxtons on the road. Mine, & the black demo car. There is a yellow one currently in bits (old demo car) and a customer V8 one in build which should be ready for next years Stoneleigh. The is also a blue body fitted on a particularly nice Saab powered Haynes Roadster.

I might be persuaded to sell mine but not cheaply

Slimy38

posted on 19/6/15 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
if you contact us we can look to help to with a purchase of the old hsr body,

u2u or email sales@kitcardirect.co.uk

regards

sean
kcd

Ah, it was kitcardirect not kitpartsdirect, my bad! Good to know you have contact with him though.

The Knobs

posted on 19/6/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Will look into this as if the body will fit a range of chassis, this could make a decent light track car with the retro look.
Slimy38

posted on 19/6/15 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Some pics;

And the price that I missed out on

The Knobs

posted on 19/6/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap as chips, where can i get one at that price? pale blue is the colour i am thinking like the fiat 500s with black trim and wheels. may be getting a bit excited lol
Slimy38

posted on 19/6/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just hoping/praying he does the same price at Stoneleigh 2016... to be fair, I'm sure I was looking at about £1300 originally, so £1100 is a good price itself.
The Knobs

posted on 19/6/15 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm just hoping/praying he does the same price at Stoneleigh 2016... to be fair, I'm sure I was looking at about £1300 originally, so £1100 is a good price itself.

Looks like it says £899 as show offer

Slimy38

posted on 19/6/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
quote:

Looks like it says £899 as show offer

Yes, but even if it doesn't come back to £899, the £1100 current price is still quite decent.

JonTarry

posted on 20/6/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
@Slimy38: thanks for the photos! Nice to see interior photos at last.

quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
The Thruxton fits on top of the chassis rails of a MK, MAC#1, Westfield, even a Haynes. The lights are different and the general fit and finish are far better. Mine is in gel coat and a good finish. With the body Jim will supply outriggers to fit to a 7 chassis or he can supply an entire kit.

Are you able to provide details on how the fit and finish is better? From what I can tell you'd certainly be getting good support as I've since spoken to Jim. He's indeed a knowledgeable guy and is keen to share details. I have the feeling he'd be good support for a build. There's quite a price difference and it's not very evident what I would be getting for the extra investment when only looking at the body conversion..the chassis is no doubt a different matter.

It would seem the MK version still lives, evidently supplied by Kit Parts Direct. I'm assuming this is what has now been rebadged as the "Jetson 7"?

rdodger

posted on 20/6/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
The body is moulded to fit on top of the chassis rails behind the seat and at the side. So the main tub is kind of self jigging. It also means the cockpit sides are double skinned and finished.

The whole thing fits together better in terms of the bonnet section and the main tub.

The lower edge has a return a couple of inches up to sit on the outrigger

It has inner arches moulded in.

The overall gel finish is spot on and doesn't need painting. The bodies are mounlded by a boat builder down in Cornwall so spot on

Slimy38

posted on 20/6/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
How much is the Thruxton body at the moment?
JonTarry

posted on 20/6/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
The body is moulded to fit on top of the chassis rails behind the seat and at the side. So the main tub is kind of self jigging. It also means the cockpit sides are double skinned and finished.

The whole thing fits together better in terms of the bonnet section and the main tub.

The lower edge has a return a couple of inches up to sit on the outrigger

It has inner arches moulded in.

The overall gel finish is spot on and doesn't need painting. The bodies are mounlded by a boat builder down in Cornwall so spot on

That gives a better idea, thanks!

JonTarry

posted on 20/6/15 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was quoted £1,650 + VAT

I understand the HSR is around £400 cheaper, I'm assuming that's also without VAT and without the outriggers supplied with the Thruxton. By the sounds of it, the price difference seems justified.

dilley

posted on 1/7/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if the body will fit with a full roll cage?
Toltec

posted on 1/7/15 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
It can certainly be made to fit with a braced roll bar, I don't think it would be too difficult to get a full cage to fit, though it would have to bolt in.

When I helped Ash with odd bits there was a certain amount of tweaking needed to make it fit his Haynes chassis. It took quite some time to get the body to sit the way he wanted it, you need to be patient and accept you cannot just drop it on and bolt it up. The rear edge of the bonnet needed extending so the front wheel sat nicely in the arches.

It did look very nice on the road and the capacious boot helped with touring practicality.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.