Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middy Track width problem
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/2/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Middy Track width problem

I have a problem, I'm about to set my track width on my middy. Because I am using an mg pg1 gearbox and hybrid (single piece not welded) shafts to go to mx5 hubs I can effectively choose my track width. I was going to stay with the donor track width for no other reason than its simple.

Should i just choose a track width and get on with the build or go a bit wider??? For info i was going to go for 1742mm the same as the engine/trans donor but I could go wider quite easily if i decide to now.

Any thoughts?

Car will be a 2 seat road going hill climber la bala-esque

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/2/16 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Well after having cut my shafts I've decided to go for a convenient track width close to the donor track width.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

phelpsa

posted on 24/2/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
For hillclimbing wider isn't always better (especially at Llys-y-fran)! Personally I'd be going a bit narrower. Is 1742 the track or overall width? If the track then that's very wide!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/2/16 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
its wheel centre to wheel centre, overall width would be approx. 200mm wider. I can easily reduce this however as I haven't finished the shafts yet

I will say this is primarily a road vehicle which will do a bit of hill climbing so there is room for a little compromise

Very interested in your thoughts, (you know significantly more than I)

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

b14wrc

posted on 24/2/16 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
My Rear track is about 1560mm - thats tyre centre to center. I took the standard Fiat coupe track, added some really low off set wheels and added 25mm spacers - converting fiat PCD to Ford.

I think you want to consider your wheel base too, i have opted to use the magic 1.6 ratio...

So my wheel base is 2498mm - noting my front track is narrower (at the moment) i will tune it so the wheel base is 1.6 of the average track.

If you have already set the wheel base, look to set the track to match that (1.6 ratio), if you are still in a position to fettle it, then id say 1500mm is wide enough - 1742mm would seem to be pretty wide and you will be looking at a wheel base of around 2787mm - which will make your car pretty long once you have your nose cone and rear body work done....

I would check this as i spent a long time working this out before commiting to steel, the proportions of the car might look wrong if you over do it....

20vt powered rear engined locost

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/2/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
BIG EDIT

I made a massive typo in the first post the track width is 1472 and not 1742 as I posted!!!!!!

The primary driver for the build is the rear track width really then I'll set the wheelbase. Haven't decided what ratio though?! I'll see how I can package the major components and then see.

[Edited on 24/2/16 by liam.mccaffrey]

[Edited on 24/2/16 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ettore bugatti

posted on 24/2/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just look for a similar car and copy the ratios.

A Lotus Elise might be close what you designing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.