Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lotus 23 type cars
Shooter63

posted on 28/2/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus 23 type cars

Hi guys,

Is there anybody on here building a lotus 23 crossle 9 merlyn type of car, I've always wanted one but every time I stand in front of one ( yesterday at retro race) my head is telling me that it would fail the iva due to the headlamp height.
I know that tiger do the 30 which looks quite good, but even that looks like it will struggle.
All thoughts appreciated.

Shooter

Sam_68

posted on 28/2/16 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Have you talked to Xantho/Continuation 23?

I'm certain that the headlamp heights would fail on an accurate replica, but depending on how far you're willing to bend the rules, you could always do what Westfield do with their Eleven replica and present it for IVA with temporary 'frogeye' headlamp pods (and no doors, and a temporary steering wheel and mirrors, as suitably 'period' examples of all these are non-compliant, too).

Toys2

posted on 28/2/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
My next build is an Auriga 23 (descendant of the Noble 23)
I've had it for ages, I bought it part built, it's my "when I get around to it" project

There are lots of mods needed for IVA, some will have to be just for the test, others can stay

All of the front lights will be problem due to their height
I haven't measured the height of the light pods yet, my thoughts are to use the tiny projector headlights mounted right at the top of the housing with the other lights in some kind of fibreglass assembly that replaces the headlamp cover
At a push I may have to design a pop up headlamp in the same location
I've read of people running the suspension higher to gain that little extra

There's lots of little things to cover, but I think that it's all possible if attacked from the start

I'll be fitting a collapseable steering column from a Corsa

No aero screens for the test

The mirrors may have to be test specials to be replaced with period replicas

The side "doors" may have to be bolted shut, otherwise I'll have to fit warning buzzers to them

My fuel tank will need work as it has a screw cap, it sits in a side pod, but the cap is accessed via the engine compartment cover - I'll need to pipe it out

Mine will need new harness mounting points

I read in an early IVA guide that the lighting viewing angles have to be met even with doors and bonnet/boot open (will have to check if that still applies) obviously a problem for a car with hinged body sections holding the lights, there was a note saying there was an exemption if there is a warning sign posted and a warning triangle is kept in the car

Here's a couple of links to get the juices flowing!!
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1299-Lotus-23B%20Sports%20Racer-1600cc%204-Cylinder

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1449&start=60

Finally, how's this for inspired storage?
I bought a running Striker last year, it just needed a little tarting up (though I ended up respraying it and doing lots of other work) my garage is only 1.5 cars wide, what could I do?..........
Striker rebuild and 23 on wall
Striker rebuild and 23 on wall

[Edited on 28/2/16 by Toys2]

sam919

posted on 28/2/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
My dreams of grandeur hit the fan when i tried to get in one, this a 23B replica with the Lotus twin cam was a defo no go, im 6 ft and the pedals were too close to the bulkhead/ front of the engine......hopefully your shorter as they, and replicas, are spot on.

[Edited on 28/2/16 by sam919]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.