Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec oil leak from filler cap
jameskett

posted on 8/5/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
zetec oil leak from filler cap

Finally got my Fury ready to drive, so I went for a fairly gently 10 mile round trip, when I got back I found quite a good leak of oil all around the filler cap and running down the rear/side of the engine, down the bellhousing. Engine is a 1994 Silvertop 2.0 Zetec with Jenvey TBs.

I have the cam-cover breather t-ed into a pipe from the crank breather, which then leads to a catch tank, which has a small breather filter on its second outlet. The catch can has some clear water in it but not really any oil, although I can see some signs of fumes coming in from the engine side when its running. The water I assume is condensation as the car has not run for more than a few minutes at a time since last year as I rebuilt it.

There is no rubber seal on the oil filler cap, not sure if there should be. Also I noticed there is no baffle plate above the camshaft under the oil filler neck, again I'm not sure if there should be?

Aside from this it ran perfectly , oil is clear and still full , temperature sat at about 90ish on the gauge , coolant is clear blue etc...

Can anyone suggest what could be causing this leak?

I wondered whether there was too much pressure in the catch can or the filter was too restrictive or something, so next time I'll leave the catch-can cap off it and see what happens , but perhaps do I need to modify the crank breather valve or similar, I've seen it mentioned in places.

thanks
James

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/5/16 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure it should have an oil seal on the cap .
madteg

posted on 8/5/16 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember there is a splash plate under the filler neck with a wire gauze trapped in it. Also there is a rubber seal on the filler cap
PJCTHolmes

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Oil filler cap leak

On my 1.8 and 2.0 zetec there is no splash guard where the
cap is. Also I don't remember there being a rubber seal on
the cap either, it has a tapered fit where it meets the cam
cover neck. The cap has a ratchet mechanism, is it broken?
Maybe try another cap to check if you can.

jameskett

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
The cap ratchet works OK.

Spoken to Burton Power and although they can't supply a new cap they suggest I have the breather layout wrong by T-ing the 2 breathers into 1, they say it should be a pipe per breather to the catch can, with just 1 pipe it will be 1/2ing the breather volume, so I'll try that next and see what happens.

PJCTHolmes

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Good info, I'm just about to put a catch tank on mine!
avagolen

posted on 9/5/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a similar setup.

I have 'T'd the 2 breather pipes into 1 then to the catch tank. No problems here. Over 1700 miles covered.

The valve is removed from the crankcase breather and the pipes are set so that any oil that collects in the
hoses can drain into the crankcase.

I would try the breather cap removal first just in case the catch tank is pressurising.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

jameskett

posted on 9/5/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well I removed the existing catch can & pipes , and ran 2 1/2inch ID hoses from the breathers, and stuck each into an aluminium drinks bottle gaffer taped to the bulkhead, then went for a similar drive to yesterday, and there's no sign of any oil from the filler cap today so fingers crossed that's sorted it. I won't know for sure until I've driven the car further and harder, but given the mess it made yesterday on a similar drive it looks good so far.

I'll make up a proper catch tank with 2 large inlets and a breather that can sit on the bulkhead behind the engine, that should look neater than a gaffer taped Hello Kitty drink bottle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.