Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much benefit is Q Plate for emissions test
DavidhMX5

posted on 13/10/18 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
How much benefit is Q Plate for emissions test

Before I start the build I need to decide if going for Q plate or age related.
How much benefit is there at MOT time having a Q plate. Not worried about IVA as car will have different configuration for that.

CosKev3

posted on 13/10/18 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure it's a visual test only
gremlin1234

posted on 13/10/18 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
yep visual test only, and you can have black and white number plate too

quote:

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: for emission purposes only, they are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975 for all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971

DavidhMX5

posted on 13/10/18 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both. Very useful info.
Slimy38

posted on 13/10/18 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
yep visual test only, and you can have black and white number plate too

quote:

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: for emission purposes only, they are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975 for all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971

That 'black and white' thing is about as clear as mud. The old plates related to when the vehicle was manufactured, not what year emissions test they use. And the quote you provide says 'for emissions purposes only'. I doubt a Q plate registered in 2018 should have black and white plates. Whether you get pulled or not is another matter!

loggyboy

posted on 13/10/18 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Re black plates:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=172460

Mistral Motorsport

kingster996

posted on 14/10/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
A Q also means that rear fog and reverse are not a requirement.

Had my first MOT thus year and the Q was a bonus. Crate Zetec on throttle bodies and no Cat was an easy pass.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/10/18 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Q Plate is what you want, nothing else.

No emissions requirement for the MoT, no fog light, no hazard lights. I assume, as well, that it may future-proof you against further testing conditions.

It makes the whole concept of later engine changes, etc., far less complex an affair.

If you really must have an age-related plate, I'd ask why. If the answer is that you want to join the brigade that attempts to individualise their domestic appliance (meaningful to themselves only) displaying a vanity plate with misplaced letters and numbers, then so be it, choice made.

joneh

posted on 14/10/18 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996

Had my first MOT thus year and the Q was a bonus. Crate Zetec on throttle bodies and no Cat was an easy pass.

That's not right. You'd fail an IVA.

Requirements relating to optional rear fog lamps

1.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured before 1st October 1979, any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 2(d), 7 and 10 of Part I.

2.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured on or after 1st October 1979, not more than two may be fitted and the requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are all those specified in this Schedule.

chillis

posted on 14/10/18 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Age related plate is transferable for a cherished number, Q plate is not.
You will still have to comply with the IVA to pass, so you will need cat emissions, rear fog light and post registration you will need yellow/white and black number plates.
To get a q plate you will need to ensure the major parts come from different vehicle sources eg different makes such that no specific donor type is the main donor.
This way you will only need to meet visible smoke when it comes to the MOT thus allowing you to replace or tune the engine in a way that may not be emissions compliant.
Be careful down this route though, as all kit conversions now require cat emissions so a catalyst must be present even if it is not required for the emissions test.
It is also possible in the future the q plate cars may be prevented from entering low e zones.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

kingster996

posted on 14/10/18 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
quote:

1.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured before 1st October 1979, any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 2(d), 7 and 10 of Part I.

2.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured on or after 1st October 1979, not more than two may be fitted and the requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are all those specified in this Schedule.

Already passed IVA. That’s a different matter and the op asked about MOT.

For the MOT a Q is treated as if first used before 1971 (I think) but certainly before 1980. So I will stick with what I said.

kingster996

posted on 14/10/18 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Found it...

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows:
• for emission purposes only, they are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975
• for all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971

gremlin1234

posted on 14/10/18 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have found some clarification on the use of black and white number plates. (from april 2015)
essentially, they can only be used on vehicles in the historic tax class
https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/11/17/whats-the-story-with-black-and-silver-number-plates/

so though a 'q' reg might pass mot, you are not allowed to do it.

joneh

posted on 14/10/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

For the MOT a Q is treated as if first used before 1971 (I think) but certainly before 1980. So I will stick with what I said.

The OP also stated "before I start the build"... whilst what you've stated is correct for MOT, he'll need to meet the standards to pass an IVA 3 years before any MOT.

kingster996

posted on 14/10/18 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The OP also stated "before I start the build"... whilst what you've stated is correct for MOT, he'll need to meet the standards to pass an IVA 3 years before any MOT.

Absolutely. But the OP also stated that he was not worried about IVA as car would be different configuration.

It’s what I did. IVA with pre cat engine, fit new engine, MOT passed 3yrs later without cat or emissions test. Result.

Andy S

posted on 14/10/18 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Your emissions with a Q plate could well be stated on your V5c after IVA, so there is a chance that this will take precedence over the usual Q plate pre 75 requirement as there is now a known and stated level to be met. Could be no different to having an age related depending on the engine used for the test and if engine age can be proven. The only Q benefit then being the ability to remove lights and mirrors after IVA.

Anyone here with a newer Q with emissions on the V%c know if they were tested or not? - then again 3.5 1200 is not onerous.

clive7883

posted on 14/10/18 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Re Black and white plates, they can only be displayed on vehicle's that have "Historic" taxation class, see DVLA leaflet INF 104, its all in there, very simple to understand. So , if your car qualifies you can, if it doesn't, you can't

[Edited on 14/10/18 by clive7883]

Davedew

posted on 14/10/18 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve got a Q plate which I have mot’d at the same place as my daily driver.
Get emissions print out for the daily but never do for the kit. Limits are shown on v5 as IVA in 2014, so I guess they never test them.

Irony

posted on 15/10/18 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Q Plate is what you want, nothing else.

No emissions requirement for the MoT, no fog light, no hazard lights. I assume, as well, that it may future-proof you against further testing conditions.

It makes the whole concept of later engine changes, etc., far less complex an affair.

If you really must have an age-related plate, I'd ask why. If the answer is that you want to join the brigade that attempts to individualise their domestic appliance (meaningful to themselves only) displaying a vanity plate with misplaced letters and numbers, then so be it, choice made.

Great post, I hate it when someone says Q plates are rubbish. Mine has been nothing but a boon.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.