Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes Roadster shock length
jps

posted on 28/10/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Haynes Roadster shock length

I've seen a lot of discussion about this over on the Haynes forum (I would post there but it's not well used). The synopsis seems to be that:
The book says 13" open and 9" closed (with a 1" extension)
Using an extension is not ideal nor does it allow choice of lots of suppliers (13" plus an extension apparently being an attempt to limit to one supplier...).
There's argument about best closed length - between 9" and 9.5"

Someone on the Haynes forum told me that, to save using the extension, 14" open and 9" closed was a 'standard' available shock size. And Andy Bates at AB has told me an extension is best avoided.

Now i'm lining up to actually buy a set Protech have told me that their Haynes suspension set is: open length is 14” and the close length is approx 10.75”

Loosing nearly 2" in movement seems a bit extreme to me...

Anyone got any ideas/advice they can share?

[Edited on 28/10/18 by jps]

[Edited on 28/10/18 by jps]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 28/10/18 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
2.25" travel seems too little for me, what is the wheel travel with that?
The more travel, the softer your suspension may be and more comfortable.
I am aiming for 4" travel, one third of that is used @ Ride Height.
Not a Haynes though.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 29/10/18 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

I'm surprised Protech closed length of their shocks for Haynes is 10.75''... I'm pretty sure they used to exist in 14'' open - 9.5'' closed.

If they don't, IMHO, you should stick to the 9'' or 9.5'' closed, not more.

A lot of us went for Gaz shocks, mostly because of the price (they are cheap, especially if you buy them from Rally Design). So far, I can't complain about the quality, I'm happy with them, but again, I'm just using my Roadster on the road, not racing it on a track. And they do exist in 14'' open - 9.5'' closed.

I'm pretty sure you already got the info from the Haynes Forum, but just in case, here are the details of the Gaz Shocks I bought from Rally Design (for my Sierra based Haynes Raodster)

Part number for the shocks is: G140/095B12-2
(G = Gaz, 140= 14'' open, 095 = 9.5'' closed, B12 = bush mounted (12mm rod), 2 = 2'' body)

Springs:
2.25'' x 8'' x 350 lbs springs : part number = RD1193/8
2.25'' x 8'' x 250 lbs springs : part number = RD1189/9

Hope that will help

ianhurley20

posted on 29/10/18 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I went the same way as Sylvain from Rally Design Gaz make shocks
Mine were 14" open 9" closed but were ones that take 1.9" springs

I went for 9" springs 1,9" dia with 350lbs front and initially 250 lbs rear.

My 250lbs springs are currently for sale if they would help (my car was written off recently and had 300l ssprings on at the time)

jps

posted on 31/10/18 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I went the same way as Sylvain from Rally Design Gaz make shocks
Mine were 14" open 9" closed but were ones that take 1.9" springs

I went for 9" springs 1,9" dia with 350lbs front and initially 250 lbs rear.

My 250lbs springs are currently for sale if they would help (my car was written off recently and had 300l ssprings on at the time)

Thanks for the offer (and info to add to what Sylvain has said) - i think i'll get a package from Protech though which will include everything. That is if I can get the lengths I think i need from them!

jps

posted on 8/11/18 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Having just had a phone call with Protech - Sylvain, Ian, - are you using bump stops within your shock absorber setup and is the 14-9.5 range with a bump stop in place or not? And how much travel do you loose with the bump stop?

The very helpful man I spoke to told me that they could use a shorter shock body and a shorter threaded end to the rod - to give another 10mm maybe - but by my calculation this would only bring things from 10.75" closed to about 10.35" closed. I think the Protech measurement includes having a 1" bump stop, disregard that and it mean things are coming a bit closer to the 9.0/9.5 closed figure...

ianhurley20

posted on 9/11/18 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am afraid I can no longer check as my car was recently written off. Yes there was a bump stop and my understanding was that I had the full travel with it in place but would have to check with Rallydesign for a definitive answer. I will say that they worked well and although I did bottom the car out once with myself (15 stone) and a friend who is 6' 3" tall and I would guess a stone heavier and also with my 8.5 gallon fuel tank nearly full on a country road I never used the full suspension travel of the shock absorber. It was the bottom of the car that grounded. The 250lb springs were perfect for single occupant use but for two up its why I changed them to 300lb rear springs.

jps

posted on 9/11/18 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I am afraid I can no longer check as my car was recently written off. Yes there was a bump stop and my understanding was that I had the full travel with it in place but would have to check with Rallydesign for a definitive answer. I will say that they worked well and although I did bottom the car out once with myself (15 stone) and a friend who is 6' 3" tall and I would guess a stone heavier and also with my 8.5 gallon fuel tank nearly full on a country road I never used the full suspension travel of the shock absorber. It was the bottom of the car that grounded. The 250lb springs were perfect for single occupant use but for two up its why I changed them to 300lb rear springs.

Thanks Ian, apologies - i didn't mean to be insensitive given what's happened to your car!

procomp

posted on 9/11/18 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All.

Haynes roadster std length is 14" Open 9 3/4" closed including bumpstop fitted.

You have to be careful with Damper manufacturers quoting closed length as said above sometimes they quote with bump stop inc and sometimes without.

ive just put a pic on my page to share as cant upload here.

https://www.facebook.com/Procomp-motorsport-376574512390043/

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 9/11/18 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.