Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Orangey stains that arent rust....
rufus357

posted on 3/12/18 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Orangey stains that arent rust....

Cracking on with the strip down and tackling the dodgy powder coat. I could see orangey rust stains on the floor so decided to remove the floor panel, only to find that there isn’t any rust. The orange stains are actually an oily greasy substance , any ideas on what it might be??
Untitle d

Also what’s the best way to rustproof the rivet holes in the chassis before re-rivetting?

Thanks

owelly

posted on 3/12/18 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'll take a guess at Waxoyl for both questions?!

[Edited on 3/12/18 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 4/12/18 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like cutting compound to me, somebody dribbling it into the drill to drill through the floor into the chassis and then not cleaning it up afterwards.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 4/12/18 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'd go with a rust prevention or cutting compound of some sort. I know when I drilled my MK Indy chassis I sprayed Waxoyl type rust prevention substance inmany of the drilled holes. I also used closed pop-rivets as a means of preventing moisture getting inside the steel chassis rails as well.
rufus357

posted on 4/12/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
One of the 2 seems likely! I'm not sure if I'm annoyed to have taken the floor off for nothing or pleased that its not rusty
nick205

posted on 5/12/18 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rufus357
One of the 2 seems likely! I'm not sure if I'm annoyed to have taken the floor off for nothing or pleased that its not rusty

1. Be pleased it's not rust. Rust is a pain and would and up requiring far more effort to deal with effectively.

2. Do you need to remove the floor? I guess it will expose the chassis rails so you can strip and finish if you wish, but otherwise I'd leave the floor in place.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/18 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
just looks like the kind of yuck you get in a dusty environment where grinding goes on, probably is rust, just not from your car
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FamilyGuy

posted on 5/12/18 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
When I riveted my floor down I ran a bead of tiger seal along the chassis and around each hole, I also dipped each rivet in tiger seal before inserting and finally filled the head of each rivet with tiger seal. Hopefully that should keep any water out.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/12/18 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not too sure about keeping water out as much as letting it out after getting caught in a downpour. I once saw a Viento with at least an inch of water in it
FamilyGuy

posted on 5/12/18 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on a few strategic drain holes in the floor to stop that happening.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/12/18 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
You should really be using sealed blind rivets for the floor panel 😎
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/12/18 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
as above I have found getting water out more important than sealing it's amazing how much can fill up the floor in just one day and then it sloshes about everywhere violently while being sucked up into the slipstream, basically you end up soaked
rufus357

posted on 7/12/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
So 95% of the powder coat appears fine from the outside but underneath it has these weird worm tracks. They are firm and not flaky very strange...

bonzoronnie

posted on 8/12/18 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
In my personal experience, that is very typical of the type of rust to be found lurking under powder coated components.

Seen it many, many times when re-furbing things that have been powder coated.

IMHO

Powder coat looks great to the eye but I much prefer a good prep & reliable paint system.

FamilyGuy

posted on 8/12/18 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like filiform corrosion

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.