Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic Adhesive
myke pocock

posted on 3/1/19 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic Adhesive

I have recently bought a damaged repairable MX5 just to keep me out of mischief. The wing mirror mechanism that allows it to be turned in manually has been broken and even second hand ones for a Mk3 are expensive. Can anyone recommend a very good plastic adhesive that I can use. I recon to be able to drill and use long self tappers but need the adhesive as a back up strategy at the same time.
Barksavon

posted on 4/1/19 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently JB Weld is very good. They do different glues for different applications. I've just bought some JB original because I've read that it can be used to fill in pitting marks prior to powder coating.... Not had a go yet so we'll see whether it works or not...😊
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/1/19 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I usually just use a soldering iron to fix car plastics, just as simple as welding. Unless you can identify the type of plastic and the solvent for it, this maybe a better solution. Saying that I broke the Fiesta's adjuster and since I was the only one going to drive it just glued the mirror on in the right position with some tiger seal
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 4/1/19 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a clean break in the plastic then I've generally found Loctite superglue pretty strong. The break does need to be clean though as the glue is not a gap filler, just a means of bonding parts. I've bonded bit of SWMBOs wing mirrors back together using it successfully (bits of the kids plastic toys too).
rusty nuts

posted on 4/1/19 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ask your local motorcycle workshop to see if they have any as INOTEC produce a 2 parts adhesive that an be drilled and tapped, probably not worth buying the kit as it’s very expensive but worth getting them to do it ? Think it’s INOTEC Topfix
David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/19 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Model shops often sell small bottles of a solvent adhesive for plastics - look for shops that sell posh/expensive plastic model kits. Use a brush to paint the stuff along the crack and, when the plastic softens, hold the edges together until the plastic hardens again. Doesn't work with every type of material, but it's very effective when it can.

It's effectively plastic welding.

trextr7monkey

posted on 4/1/19 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think David’s referring to Tensol liquid cement which is fed into joints via capillary action. We have had a fair bit of success with the hard plastic glue bought from either Toolstation or Screwfix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

johnemms

posted on 7/1/19 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Good glue ..stelmax ..

[Edited on 7/1/19 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

02GF74

posted on 7/1/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
If there is room, build up behind the crack with fibre glass, had worked for me.

CNHSS1

posted on 7/1/19 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Devon Plastic welder, like a 2 part epoxy but will even stick "ungluable" plastics. Rebuilt a smashed door mirror cover on a Kadett GSi back in the day and was tough as hell and lasted donkeys years

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.