Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA advice please
RedAvon

posted on 3/1/19 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA advice please

Evening everyone and happy New Year

My lad is looking to buy a van - Mercedes sprinter 2005. He's been in contact with the seller and I am going to view on Sunday, if everything checks out we will get it as they have communicated a lot with pictures etc already and it seems pretty genuine so far. Except it's now blue with a white roof and DVLA say it's white .......we can correct that I guess.

DVLA is showing the MOT expiry as March 2019 as the seller correctly says, but he also says it's not taxed and not SORNED. He has partially converted it to a camper which is why my lad wants it and that's apparently why he hasn't taxed it during the conversion ????

However it was last taxed in March 2018. Is there any way we could fall foul of DVLA if we buy? If the seller didn't tax or sorn it would DVLA not have sent reminders or a fine.

Once we buy does the DVLA reset the liability at change of ownership?

We plan to do a HPI check and any advice on what to look out for on these vehicles also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ian

Bricoleur

CosKev3

posted on 3/1/19 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to tax it on the day you buy it,or SORN it if you are not driving it home?
But you won't be liable for back tax whilst he's had it off the road,but make sure you get a dated receipt off the seller

Slimy38

posted on 4/1/19 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
You will need to tax it on the day you buy it,or SORN it if you are not driving it home?
But you won't be liable for back tax whilst he's had it off the road,but make sure you get a dated receipt off the seller

Yep, any demands for backdated tax will be heading to the previous owner(s). I've heard a few stories of people buying cheap cars that are untaxed and don't have the V5, and the tax demand has gone back to the previous previous owner as they were the last one to have a valid V5. To be fair, if they're going to sell (or buy) a car without dealing with the V5 then it's their own daft fault what happens afterwards!

Barksavon

posted on 4/1/19 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
If current owner has the V5 ask to see it, don't just take the rip off section.
If van has been a previous insurance write off and repaired it should say so on the front sheet of the V5.

RedAvon

posted on 4/1/19 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies guys, all very helpful.

The HPI has come back clear so we just need to check a full valid V5 at sellers address and get a dated receipt.

Cheers
Ian

Bricoleur

britishtrident

posted on 5/1/19 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
As it hasn't been SORNed I wouldn't be surprised if the seller isn't the registered keeper with the DVLA --- take care the DVLA are selling on the debts these cases in job lots to unscrupulous debt phone pest collectors who don't care if you are liable or not.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.