Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlights - switched power?
JC

posted on 28/5/19 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights - switched power?

I’ve spent a few days investigating a few wiring gremlins in my car...I think the only way I’ll understand what the builder has done is to re-wire it, but that’s for another day!

Having finally traced the headlight wiring, I have found that the side, dip and main beam all come off permanent live connections. The car has passed IVA, but from what I read in the manual, it does not state whether (head) lights have to be switched live. Other than possibly flattening the battery, is there a problem with the way it is currently wired - I have the first MOT in 12 months!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/5/19 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
No reason it cant stay. Usually its just sides on perm though. (for 30mph+ dark road parking light requirement).
I always planned to wire mine so they went off with the ignition so I could leave them switched on and would come on when the car was started, DRL style. Even before DRLs were required on type approved cars. A couple of my road cars have had this function and I've liked it.

[Edited on 28-5-19 by loggyboy]

snapper

posted on 29/5/19 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
The big issue for you would as stated to drain the battery in minutes if you leave the headlights on and walk away.
Another possible issue is the column switch gear as only a few can take full power, others need a relay pack for dip and main.
If you currently have the lighting circuit from permanent live it’s a relatively simple job to change to switched live.

For MOT you will want to check the rear fog light as this should only be able to switch on when the lights are on and auto reset to off once the lights are switched off

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

JC

posted on 29/5/19 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi snapper,

There are relays on the lights, so should be ok on that front, and one of the fancy CBS fog light gadgets too.

The car also has a battery isolator as a security measure ....all comprehensive stuff which leaves me wondering why he didn’t make the lights on a switched live!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 29/5/19 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
All my lights are on a permanent live connection, but I do have a buzzer to warn me if the headlights are on when the ignition's off.

FEZ1025

posted on 31/5/19 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Having lights on a switched live is a modern thing, last 30 years or so, the 100 years prior to that they would be permanent live, wasn't until the Jap/Germans changed things.
scimjim

posted on 9/6/19 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapperFor MOT you will want to check the rear fog light as this should only be able to switch on when the lights are on and auto reset to off once the lights are switched off

I think this is an IVA requirement - but it’s certainly not an MOT requirement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.