Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo Engine dimensions.
Ronski

posted on 5/7/19 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo Engine dimensions.

I'm after some dimensions of the Fiat 20v Turbo engine, I asked @b14wrc in his build if he would kindly measure it for me which he has said he would, so rather than derail his build thread I thought I'd post here.

For others who may not of seen my post in his thread, about 30 years ago I started building a mid engined Mini clubman using the very popular 1995cc Fiat Twin Cam 8v engine, gearbox and subframe from a Lancia Beta, but a change of job, then various houses, wife and kids all came along and it's been sat in my various garages since 92.

Now with a bit more spare time on the horizon I'm starting to look at getting on with it and someone suggested that the 20vt engine may fit.

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Hi there,

Sounds like a good project and you will definitely like the 20vt, its heavy mind you. I will measure it for you, I have two engines, one is on the gearbox so will take some photos and measurements at the week end. What sims do you need specifically?

Basically I need to know the following, to see if it will actually fit between my wheel tubs.

1. The overall width, so from the furthest end of the gearbox casing to the outer edge of the crank pulley
  2. End of box to face of bell housing
  3. End of block to outer face of the crank pulley

2+3 should equal dimension 1

Any pictures of the engine mounts that you have may also prove useful, from what I've seen of the 20vt engine it looks very similar to the engine I have.

These are a couple of pictures from 1992, it does have gear linkage, working clutch and wheel tubs, but I haven't scanned those photos in yet.

Once I've scanned my photo album I'm going to create a build thread on www.16vminiclub.com, wouldn't it be great if I had 20 valves

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc
Yes thanks, my locost is a labour of love, Im in the early stages of a new family and we recently moved house, so I am busy with building the new work shop, check that out, it's going well. - I've got a blog going.

Eventually mine will be full carbon body. Going to be fast with over 300bhp.

Rob

I'll take a look at your garage build, but watch out houses and families leave little time for cars.

b14wrc

posted on 8/7/19 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hey,

Been out and had a measure up this evening, I have some photos but will have to up load them later in the week.

1. 530mm from gear box casing to the end of the cam belt cover, need to add 30mm to that for the crank pulley, but the majority of the engine is 530mm wide.
2. Gear box, 395mm wide.
3. total is around 925mm, that’s from the outer edge of the gear box to the outer edge of the cam belt.

Note that my gear box is an early spec 5 speed which were (I believe) stronger and had a overall bigger casing, I also have a late spec 5 speed which is a slimmer design casing, looks smaller in my locost, think that is the same casing as the 6 speed but not totally sure.

Hope that’s helpful. Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

Ronski

posted on 9/7/19 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you very much for the measurements, I'll have a measure tonight and see if it fits.
Ronski

posted on 9/7/19 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox appears to be exactly the same size 395mm long.

My engine is about 470mm to the end of cam belt cover, unfortunately there is only about another 30mm between that and the strut, so the 20vt won't fit without either moving the gearbox and engine over (I dare say it would then foul the subframe), or altering the suspension, but either way things will be very tight for space. This thread here suggests all the mounts are the same, and the biggest issue with fitting the 20vt in a Lancia beta would be the reversed inlet and exhaust ports, which for me isn't an issue.

I also wonder if the Coupe gearbox will fit my engine along with the SLD, gear ratios may be better on the Coupe box.

I'm thinking that the much rarer 16vt engine would be a much better fit, and almost certainly match existing mountings on the Lancia subframe. I have seen one advertised for sale, but he's not responded to my enquiries.

I think I will need to put some more thought into this when the Mini's more accessible.

Thanks for your help Rob, and if you could still post those photo's as they could be useful, thanks.

b14wrc

posted on 10/7/19 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I will still post some photos no problem, the biggest issue is the engine cants over and means you need quite a bit of room front to back.

Plus you would need space for an Intercooler which I don't think there is a lot of room in the Mini shell. Would be awesome though!

Where about's are you Ronski? Welcome to come and take a look some time at mine.

Ronski

posted on 10/7/19 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the invite, but I'm in Broadstairs near Dover unfortunately. I love the Lake District, but it's just so far.

There's quite a bit of space in front and behind, I'm sure the current engine sits at a similar angle. For the intercooler I was thinking sat at an angle in front of the gearbox with air intake vents in the N/S/R wing much like some Porches. Would also need vents to allow the air out of the engine compartment.

[Edited on 10/7/19 by Ronski]

b14wrc

posted on 10/7/19 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Ronski, yer that’s a long old way!

Took a few photos for you, hope these help.

The last photo shows the other gearbox, it’s a two piece casing version rather than the 3 part casing, think the 3 part is stronger.

Rob

Ronski

posted on 10/7/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the pictures, I had assumed the engine was slanted backwards like the old 8v, but it's not, it leans forwards instead which means it's highly likely it will clear the strut. It would be a tight fit, but that's part of the fun.

Any chance you could share the original pictures via Dropbox please - don't forget to remove any metadata as it may record your location.

Thanks

Ron.

b14wrc

posted on 11/7/19 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ron,

If you PM me your email I can email the photos to you.

Regards,

Ronski

posted on 11/7/19 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've sent you an email, thanks very much.
Ronski

posted on 28/7/19 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update this thread I have now purchased a 16VT engine and box.

The engine will need quite a bit of work, but current plan is to check it's basically OK and runs, then get it fitted in the car, sort the suspension, and everything else - IE no tuning until I know everything else is OK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.